PDA

View Full Version : Snapper and an amazing Cobia

Tim_N
26-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Had the chance to fish with an old mate Searunner on Thursday with a plan to fish the 12 Mile for a Snapper and Cobia on both SP's and bait.
Left Bribie at about 5.30 am and headed into a decent 1.5m of NE swell but very little wind and arrived at the choosen spot a little after sun up.
Found a bit of bait and decided to drift fish because sea conditions allowed a nice slow and steady drift as there was bugger all wind up.
It was fairly slim pickings with a few just legal Snapper (up to about 40 cm) coming onboard. When drifting, a SP was cast out and allowed to waft down while we kept our hand on the rods that were baited with squid or Pillies or Slimies and it wasn't until my plastic was smashed while sitting in the rod holder (and yes I will claim that one), that the focus went back to holding the SP rod and a baited floater could sit in the rod holder.
Line peeled of the small Daiwa and after a short tussle, a nice Snapper was boat side ready to be netted.
This one went 4.335 kg.
It was now about 9.45 am and things were looking decidedly better.
Then, we saw a blue platey roaring towards us at full noise and pulled up beside us as we were half way through another drift. Fair dinkum, he would have been no more than a decent cast away, and then he sounded around us, and when he located the school of bait we were working, dropped his anchor right in the middle of our drift run.
What do you do?
Anyway, we tried to do the run but wider and of course, if you're not on the fish, you might as well be a million miles away.
I think FrankOO calls this Blowflying.
So, plan 2. We headed off to another set of marks not too far away and located some more bait and proceeded to work it. Firstly a Mack Tuna of about 7 kg gave my new Egrell Bear S10H a work out. The grunt this thing has got is amazing. When you put the skids under one of those so fast, it's no wonder the guys who have them rave about them. This was followed by another Mack Tuna around 4 kg which was also released unharmed and by then things were really happening.
My SP was nailled again and the Egrell S6 and 2500 Daiwa combo had a 5.265 kg Snapper boat side ready for the waiting net of Searunner.
A pic was taken and I cast out again when my mobile rang and while the rod was in the holder, it got hammered again, this time resulted in a failed hook up. It was another Knobbie, you can tell by the way they fight.
Searunners rod goes off next and the thumping and bumping was the telltale of another good fish, but unfortunately his gear let go, and another one is released????
After a few unsavory words, Searunner is back in the water and his SP gets inhaled by what we reckon was a XOS Cobia. These things have a very hard mouth, but......after a huge first run of probably 100+m, the jighead comes out, another one released. Grrrrrrrrrrr.
It was now aproaching midday and things were starting to slow down when I get the smallest Cobia I have ever seen. It was still a feisty little devil, and after a quick pic, back he went to grow some more and terrorise you in the future.
In the end we ended up with 4 small Snapper and the 2 biggies in the box, everything else, including Searunners Stingray and rather large Albahtros looking bird were released unharmed.
A glassy run home ended a great day out, and thanks Craig for a good day.
Here are a few pics.
Tim

Fishbait
26-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Nice snapper alright - looks like they are participating in Red Nose Day today as well.;D Pity about the other boat comin along side so close and so fast - that really truley amazes me the ignorance of some folk that do that. Anyway, sounds like you got onto some other nice fish anyway by moving on. Perfect conditions by the looks. Cheers, Darren ;)

reel scream
26-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Well done Timmi. Thats a great little cobe mate. Bloody pigs even at that age hey. I should have stuck to my plan and stayed in close. Doh.

Cheers Mate,
Scott

Tim_N
26-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Didn't get where you saw us Scott, had to go further north. Shut down there.
Tim

skipalong
26-06-2009, 05:37 PM
thats some cobe tim one for the brag book

justin

searunner
27-06-2009, 08:41 AM
At least i was good for taking photos and driving the boat!!

dazza
27-06-2009, 09:12 AM
At least i was good for taking photos and driving the boat!!

and a few wild shots with the landing net::)::) cant make it too easy for him craig, tim's been slaying them as it is

great work lads, some nice fish

cheers
dazza

ddobson
27-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Well done tim_n a good dasy and a good fish. Seems everytime you stand up and fish plastics the bait boys see you and anchor right into your drift and it seems they have right away. Good snaps and i can see that rod running in my head. Great day and pitty about those bigger fish with pulled hooks. Those TT jigheads have straightened on me to. You really have to set the hook hard on those big boys once you see the mouths on em eh. Cheers boys

Tim_N
27-06-2009, 01:16 PM
It seems the bait guys who shoulder in and anchor up, don't end up catching anything anyway and then move on. All they achieve is giving me the WXYZ's.
SP's that worked were the 7" Gulps or 6" Biobaits/Guzzlers in red or any combination including red/pink, eg Nuc Chook, Tandoorie Chook, Strawberry etc. It had to be a big profile and with enough lead to get down in to the bottom third of the water column.
The fish were only taking SP's on the light gear eg 10 or 15 lb braid and 16 or 20 lb leader. With the water clearing up, I suggest a 3 m fine leader.
Tim

Frank OO
27-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Hi Tim,

Good to see the Egrells doing their job mate. I think we need to start a special category on Ausfish called Blowflies where we can post the photos of all the unethical people doing unethical things lie dumping rubbish and purposely anchoring in your driftline.

Frank OO

Scalem
27-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Good report Tim.

It looked like similar was going to happen to me today when another boat slowed down to idle speed. How do you hide having a 3 -5 kg dropshot loaded up to a nice Snapper?? I thought about trying, but the chance was that it might affect the fight, and I wasn't going to let the fish off if I could help it.

Scalem

Tim_N
27-06-2009, 11:39 PM
That's a great idea Frank,
In fact I already have a couple of pics of a certain blowfly, but this particular fly was a pro. So I'll just leave him be with the few choice words we shared.
I can't get enough of the Egrell's and consider the good gear I have invested in as a major contributing factor to making me a better fisher person. I'm positive it helps.
Tim

Live4Fishin
28-06-2009, 10:18 AM
great report Tim, some very nice fish there great quality, i cant wait to get out for a fish one day....:( , do u still use your S4 at all?? mines still a virgin sitting in the shed with the hyper 2500 unused>:( for 18months now..

Beau.

Wahoo
28-06-2009, 10:56 AM
great report Tim, and i agree with Frank, happened to us on friday night, but we were anchored, a boat came within 10m of us, Jimbo being Jimbo ask the guys if they ran out of water ....lol....

Daz

reel scream
28-06-2009, 10:41 PM
That's a great idea Frank,
In fact I already have a couple of pics of a certain blowfly, but this particular fly was a pro. Tim
Timmy, these are the one's we don't need to become the maggots too. F the fly off before the larvea is laid.
They la la la la la about "dont interfere with our fishing action", well sorry ( and have a couple of pro mates) , but don't come and think you can come and push us off our bite/spot/drift!! in the name of proffesionalism....Bite my tongue for a minute.