PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Coastrunner 570 - 610 - comments?

Scott79
25-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I am interested to hear people's experiences in any of the Quintrex Coastrunners within the above mentioned size range. What do people like or dislike about them.

I am considering a secondhand boat to be used for fishing mainly - day trips and overnighters, as well as family day trips to the islands.
I fish the Capricorn Coast and most fishing trips would be minimum 50km each way, so I would be especially interested to hear how they handle the chop.

Thanks,
Scott.

Ally Jack
26-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Scott,

I've never owned one but with all the bad comments on them, I wouldn't buy one either.

I think pressed boats are great for the creeks and bays, but for running offshore you should look at a glass or plate alloy boat, you and the quintrex won't handle those sort of trips for long. I know everyone says but you just pick your days which is true, I don't take the Seafarer out all the time either, but it's what can come up out there and getting home safe and comfortable thats the issue

Do a search here for quintrex or telewater, you'll get a fair idea

Ally Jack

385EXPLORER
26-06-2009, 12:43 PM
My brother owned a 570 while he was living on Groote Eylandt,He would do trips roughly 50km or so aswell as the odd overnighter,I went out a couple of times with him and it drove and handled very well,the only probs he had with it were fuel related,he bought it new and sold after his 2 year stint on the Eylandt.Thats my only experience with them.
Ben

Matt_F
26-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Hi Scott

If I were you and had the money, I'd be looking at a plate alloy or glass hull. Quintrex would be my last choice. I have never owned one, but every mate I know that has/had one for fishing offshore has had to repair cracks in the hull (including the offshore models). They might be alright for poking round the creeks or dams, but are not built for offshore work. As mentioned, do a search on Ausfish before you spend the hard earned. Hope this helps.

Matt.

arvor
26-06-2009, 05:32 PM
hi scott

we owned a 610 offshore for about 18 months or so.and i wont bag them on here because there are many quintrex and stacer owners on here and to them its there pride and joy.but i will tell of my opinion .you get what you pay for.you will read on here that they fall apart?mine didnt.it was just a means of getting to some spots offshore.in the chop it was noisy it was harsh if in a big hurry.with a 15 and above wind on the beam you will be on the trim tabs all the way home.aprt from that .as i said you get what you pay for .and if 20 odd mile is your limit and say average 80 or so hours they are fine.every one will have a better option but you would have to break out another 20k and keep going .so good luck and enjoy.

id be more concerned about getting the right motor for your needs.
gary

Scott nthQld
26-06-2009, 05:55 PM
rather than go with something purely pressed, for the same sort of dollars you can get something in the formosa range, a bit of a cross between a platey and a pressed tinny, but built very strong, rides very well,are very stable and dry, adding upto being very family freindly depending on the layout (ie cabin models are obviouslt more suited to family than a centre console would be).

Levinge, a mamber on here got a 580 centre cab formosa completely fitted out with Eagle electronics and a honda 135 for a shade under 47k....last year I think, though like everything, prices have probably gone up but still you'd be looking at very similar money for one of those compared to quintrex, or stacer.

Scott79
27-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Guys, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

I figured as much about the pressed vs plate/glass comparisons, but was particularly interested to hear comments specific to this particular model.

I have started a few subsequent searches on Ausfish on the Quinnies, particularly regarding the issue of cracking welds, and I must admit I am somewhat surprised by the number of complaints. In summary, all fingers seem to be pointing to poor welding and cheaper grade aluminium - but having said that, I am well aware that all boats are built to a price. I do wonder though, in the cases of serious cracking just how hard some of these boats have been pushed to get to that stage ??? As a comparison I wouldn't expect a commodore to stay in tact after 50,000 kms of being driven hard on dirt (probably even less km...)

By the sounds of things Arvor has summed it well, perhaps they are adequate for the guys not heading out too far, and not too often, without forking out really big $$.

Still it's early days and there's plenty more research to do, but I would still be interested to hear from anyone who has the abovementioned Quinnies?

Scott.