PDA

View Full Version : snaps for lures advice for newbie

bulldogs195461
24-06-2009, 05:01 PM
g day again all
been getting some great advice,could you give me some advice about lures.can you use snaps(for quick changes)with lures.?also is it possible to use a swivel on a long leader?
in advance thanks john

Rockfish
24-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi

Mate it really depends who you ask about the snaps. Some people feel they are fine others will say they are bound to failure. I have used them and continue to use them without trouble...you just have to get the right ones and even then u can still be unfortunate enough to get a bad hinge and bust the occasional one. Depends what species u are chasing too? For Barra and estuary species i use the Decoy Egg snaps in either the 90 or 120lb models, the Shogun 90lb snaps are also worth a look. Simple answer to be safe and remove as many possible points of failure from your system is to simply tie an end loop knot in your leader and test it.

As far as using longer leaders and swivels...there is no need for a swivel with lures. Almost every cast and retrieve angler will use a Bimini twist double of the main line to the leader. Leader selection and personal preference will determine the final Bimini to leader connection, the improved Albright is my personal choice, however, there are many more options.

tailorboi99
24-06-2009, 06:19 PM
G'day John,

I know many people that use snaps when fishing with lures. They're brilliant from what I have been told and tend to save you valuable fishing time when out on the water. One thing though, make sure that you get the correct size for both the size and weight of the target species and also lure size.

Regarding to using swivels with long leaders. I personally don't use swivels mainly because of the following reasons: They get stuck in the guides, sensitivity and can disturb the lures action. Instead of using swivels try using an Albright knot, I've been using them ever since I started using lures and haven't had any failures (Touchwood!). For more information on the Albright knot visit : http://www.animatedknots.com/albright/index.php

Thanks Tom

Whale Bone
24-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey mate,
Im far from an expert, but if your talking about snaps on impoundment barra I have been using the decoy egg snaps in 90lb or over. Have never busted onr of theses and the egg shape gives the lure the ability to swim frrely, much like a loop knot. Although expensive and a little fiddly to use, in my opinion they are worth the money.

Jeremy87
24-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Won't touch them. As previously mentioned when fishing i always try to remove as many weak links as possible. I've gone from using them when i first started out to not using them out of advice from others. I heard that snaps had improved in quality about a year back and decided to give them another go but was bitterly disappionted A sna is fine up until the point where it comes unclipped and then they are weak as p!ss. You would be surprised how easyily standard egg snapps come unclipped during fishing. As previously mentioned you can also have the problem of them changing a lures weight and buoyancy, particulaly in smaller lures. I find it better to take the extra 30 seconds to tie a loop knot. By the time the leader is too short it is time to change it anyway, at this way you know you have removed a potential weak link. similarly where possible i remove split rings from the front of lures, another potential weak link aswell as a sharp edge for you line to catch on and abrade.

Whitto
24-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Never lost a fish using a Perfection Knot or Loop Knot but have using a snap lock.....get use to tying a loop.....when the leader gets too small change it...proberbly needs to be changed anyway

Tropicaltrout
24-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Yeah as it goes its a personal thing realy, those who use them will be bias and those who dont the same, in all honesty if the fish is set to win it will regardless of what most will say... there is a time and place for these type of fishing I personally use them with my Hardbody lures why no real reason other then I twist the leaders and crimp on the snap I use the egg snap as mentioned as for losses due to crimps ,snaps giving way, never like a knott do it right it will be fine... if you happen to see fish you can change lures quick and fuss free....

End result is put enough pressure to pull a egg snap and straighten a egg snap your going to break a knott aswell...

Anyhow mate try both se what suits you till you put a few under your belt and make your own mind up. Its all learning and what better way to learn then on a Barra

NAGG
24-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I would avoid using a snap ......... I've seen the best of em fail

loose 1 min...... & just tie another loop

Chris

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
25-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Two quick points- a snap can destroy the fine tuned balance and workings of a well manipulated barra lure. The last thing you want in finesse situations is a snap to cause more turbulence in front of a small lure.
Second point- You still have to tie a snap on, and you still have to re-tie the snap on once you land a fish, or when a missed strike causes scuff or bad chaffe.
Either way, you are still tying a knot.
Ok, 3 points- Any fish can bite, jaw pressure can and is capable of opening snaps at times. The last thing I'd ever want on my line when a 40 kg fish jumps is a snap swivel in the equation. If one ever ends up in my tackle box from someone else's scattered belongings, I give it back ASAP.
Cheers.
JM

Big_Ren
25-06-2009, 09:03 AM
I'd rather barack for NSW than tie on a snap these days:-[ Learned my lesson the hard way a year or two back at Awoonga when a nice fish straightened a snap in one jump. Result lost fish, bruised ego and lesson learned.

Never touched one since. Tie a loop....it's good practice for you anyway....you can't unpick a well tied knot like you can unclip a snap.

Cheers
Paul

Awoonga
25-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Yes tie a knot .Snaps, clips add weight lessen the Action just another piece that could cause you trouble ..The less items between you and the fish the better

nipsta
25-06-2009, 11:57 AM
yes i agree personal choice for sure i have used them and had succes and not one break yet eggs snaps i used but hey i used to tie know and leftys loop all the time i still do for bass and i do for the soft plastic rod but i should tie more loops with the hard bodys as well like they said it up too you but if ya gunner use them get the egg snaps they are tough as