PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth registering the boat in QLD?

finga
24-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Gidday all,
Seeing the registration on boats has gone through the roof is it more economical to forget about the rego and pay a fine (if you get one)?
What are the fines now?
How often have you had your rego checked?
I have been pulled over twice in 5 years and they were both on a week-end.

Now my tiny tinny has gone up to $81 a year and the number of times I use it and in the areas and times (mostly week-days) I use it I would be able to take the chance (but won't).
If there was a 3rd party insurance portion in the rego then it would be a no brainer and have the rego.
Unless I'm mistaken all the money is pretty much sent to general revenue (is this right?)
So is it worth it to register the boat or would it be cheaper to allow for a couple of fines through the year??
Cheers then
Scott :)

harry_h01
24-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I had considered registering mine in NSW with a mates address. Seems that at least their rego money goes to ramps and supporting the industry.

Harry

BGG
24-06-2009, 08:31 AM
Be careful. I'm fairly sure your insurance won't be valid if the boat's not registered. Same as a car. Of course, that's only if you have insurance.

finga
24-06-2009, 08:41 AM
I had considered registering mine in NSW with a mates address. Seems that at least their rego money goes to ramps and supporting the industry.

Harry
Yeah, I know about that.
My Kingswood used to be registered in NSW before I chucked it in the shed.
Rego in NSW for it was $530....in QLD it was closer to the $900 mark.
What are the boat rego's in NSW?

Be careful. I'm fairly sure your insurance won't be valid if the boat's not registered. Same as a car. Of course, that's only if you have insurance.
Good point there matey.
How many smaller cheaper boats would have insurance? Especially if they did not need a loan to purchase.

whiteman
24-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Got the same issue. Have a 10 foorter with 6hp for when I want to go off the beach. It just scrapes in to the rego net. I paid the rego this year but may not next.

rat_catcher
24-06-2009, 08:50 AM
How many smaller cheaper boats would have insurance? Especially if they did not need a loan to purchase.
You may not be worried about the cost of your own rig from an insurance perspective, but what about liability to others? Both people and property.

TimiBoy
24-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Huh, rego cost. 3 years ago, you needed a free permit to drive an excavator on the road, then they brought in a minor rego charge (but Pete said no new taxes?). About $120 per year. That went up last year, and until June 30 this year it's $152 annual. Just opened the mail, next year it is $217.

That's a 30% increase. AND WE DON'T EVEN DRIVE ON THE ROAD.

Friggin' lying, cheating scumbags.

Tim

finga
24-06-2009, 09:21 AM
You may not be worried about the cost of your own rig from an insurance perspective, but what about liability to others? Both people and property.
I would hate to think how many boats are not insured.
I would really hate to think how many cars driving on the road are not insured.
If people are not going to bother paying rego they will not worry about the insurance..it's getting to the stage where people weigh up their options and take their chances.

trymyluck
24-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Huh, rego cost. 3 years ago, you needed a free permit to drive an excavator on the road, then they brought in a minor rego charge (but Pete said no new taxes?). About $120 per year. That went up last year, and until June 30 this year it's $152 annual. Just opened the mail, next year it is $217.

Tim

Yep anyone who didn't vote for Anna #$%^#%# Bligh bend over, grit your teeth and prepare to take it like a man because I recon its gunna go downhill from here.

And for anyone that voted for the b%#$h then you had better do the same but with a smile.
Mark

honda900
24-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Funny how the slimy little weasel of a treasurer never gets a mention... he is the one calling the shots with bligh.. she is just the front man..

Regards
HOnda..

the gecko
24-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I got a fine for it 3 years ago, and it was $150 back then. the boat was outta rego by month, and Id forgotten. i was cruisin past the southport seaway at 9am on a Sat morning (prime time for cops) and they went past the other way. I said ' gee that was close' to my deckie - (Ok so id noticed it myself by then).

60 secs later the cops had done U turn and came at me with all lights blazing. they check you on a laptop against the database as they go past, so they dont need to pull you over, unless they want to fine you.

If you dont fish busy spots in prime time, then youre not likely to get pulled over, BUT>>>>>>> you will have no 3rd party cover. If you hit a bloke at injure him, the govt will sue you and take your house. Its tempting, but not worth it.

now Ive got one strike. What would they hit me for a second offecnce? How many times will you pay a fine, before you cant go fishing anymore?

finga
24-06-2009, 03:54 PM
you will have no 3rd party cover. If you hit a bloke at injure him, the govt will sue you and take your house. Its tempting, but not worth it.

There is no 3rd party portion insurance covered in your rego as far as I can read. there's a recreational use fee (a fee for recreating...that's a beauty. How come bush walkers and surfies don't get slugged that fee?? They're recreating aren't they?? Or is it coming??) and ships registration fee.
I personally have all my boats that go in the water registered but I reckon very soon we are going to be inundated with unregistered boats because of the cost.
Just my opinion :)

White Pointer
24-06-2009, 09:37 PM

Tim

Tim,

Calm down and plan revenge.

Underquote a Government contract by around 20%. In your offer, reserve the right to impose any increase you like without justification or proof of claim. When they accept your offer, subject to negotiation of your rise and fall, just tell them you are following their example and want to enjoy the same terms as they impose on you - escalation without consultation.

When they tell you to bugger off share the joke here.

Regards,

White Pointer

bundylundy
24-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Sorry but I do not share your thoughts. If you can't afford the $81 to register it, sell your boat use the money to pay for a charter. Rego does pay for boat ramp maintenance even if it seems not. My thoughts anyway.

Jeff.

TimiBoy
25-06-2009, 06:22 AM

I just wanted to get this into context. I have 10 machines (excavators & bobcats) that have to pay this tax. Three years ago it was nothing. So that's $2,170 extra tax. That equates to an extra 100 hours work, roughly, that I have to generate annually, just to pay it.

And it is meaningless.

We still have to insure our gear privately because for 99.9% of the time it is off the road. It is only ever on the road when loading/unloading, and most of the time we do THAT off the road. The tracks and tyres are rubber, so there's no road damage. We are getting screwed, make no mistake about that.

So don't complain next time you want a hole dug and it's $100+ per hour. My overheads are now close to 80%. They were 70% 5 years ago.

And now fuel's going up again. I am actually wondering whether getting out and picking orders in a warehouse might be better.

Tim

finga
25-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Sorry but I do not share your thoughts. If you can't afford the $81 to register it, sell your boat use the money to pay for a charter. Rego does pay for boat ramp maintenance even if it seems not. My thoughts anyway.

Jeff.
My thoughts are like your's matey...except for the boat ramp bits. You'll find most are maintained by the local councils with no contribution from the State.
This was a hypothetical question.
I'll pay as long as I put the boats in the water but the question on whether or not to pay must be on the minds of a lot of people (especially those with motors less then 10hp) who once did the right thing BUT have had a gutfull of been screwed by the government...especially seeing it's rare to get court. So far there's been mention of 1 fine.
Hell, they cannot even police the lack of navigation lights at night let alone check every boat for rego.

siegfried
25-06-2009, 10:35 AM
A cunnin old bastard up the river one day went flyin past us with a 5 hp motor on a tinny at probably 15-18 kts and when i asked him what the go was he said he pulled the number 1 of the 15 because 5hp didnt need to be registed down here. You would maybe get away with it unless something went wrong or you were unlucky enough to cop a diligent waterways bloke. 80 od bucks is a lot for a rarely used tinny especially if it its a second boat

bassfan
25-06-2009, 12:29 PM
I can't believe you're whinging about paying $80/annum to register your boat so you can go fishing. The trouble is your so used to everything having been very cheap (or free) in Qld for so long, when costs are increased to a more realistic level you thinks it's unfair.

At least you haven't been burdened with the requirement for a fishing licence in Qld (other than in stocked impoundments), whereas in NSW we are taxed for the privilege of wetting a line anywhere.

The bottom line is it's still a relatively cheap recreation to go fishing from a boat, and to get your moneys worth you need to go as often as you can :)

bassfan

finga
25-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I can't believe you're whinging about paying $80/annum to register your boat so you can go fishing. The trouble is your so used to everything having been very cheap (or free) in Qld for so long, when costs are increased to a more realistic level you thinks it's unfair.

At least you haven't been burdened with the requirement for a fishing licence in Qld (other than in stocked impoundments), whereas in NSW we are taxed for the privilege of wetting a line anywhere.

The bottom line is it's still a relatively cheap recreation to go fishing from a boat, and to get your moneys worth you need to go as often as you can :)

bassfan
Who's whining??
I said this was all hypothetical.
Well in NSW rego is worked out on length. and in QLD it's just a figure.
It's $46 for up to 3metre boat and for every 1/2 metre over that it's an extra $8.50.
Now my little 3.75m tinny would be $63 and the Bertie is $161.30 in QLD and in NSW it would be $80 so less then 1/2 QLD fees.
No if you own a 10m boat in QLD it's $393.85 for a years rego and in NSW it would be 46+(14X$8.50)=$165 which equates to near 2 1/2 times more expensive in QLD to register a boat of that size.
Well bugger me I'd rather pay a $50 per year fishing license and pay the NSW rego I reckon.
I have 3 boat rego's to pay.
In QLD they cost me $324.30 to register for 12 months.
In NSW they would cost me all up...$206
In NSW it would cost me the same amount of money to register a 5m Bertram as it costs me to register a 2.5 m boat with a 5hp motor on the bum in QLD.
So who's cheaper and who's unrealistic?

bassfan
25-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I have 3 boat rego's to pay.

Wish I could afford 3 boats I had to get registered.....

GBC
25-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Might have a bit of work coming up Timi - throw us a p.m. with some rates please mate - combo and just 3t if you've got one. Do you dry hire to ausfishers????::)

sleepygreg
25-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Had a chuckle at a mate who has a 50' Riv. Was having a bit of a whinge about the rego fees going up...he now has to pay about $680 a year. Same bloke pours about $2mill a year into his racing boats for fun.....some people need to put things into perspective.

Greg

cormorant
03-07-2009, 02:58 PM
Petition on rego fees this one is for car rego

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/CurrentEPetition.aspx?PetNum=1211

Does this givt deserve any more of your money?

Reel Nauti
03-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm not happy about it either. But we can scream all we like, we can take our boats to George St and set fire to them, we can jump and down and do what we like. But the fact is, she has no opposition, and until she does we can expect the shafting to get thicker by the inch. In my opinion, the Governor should be able to step in when an incumbent leader lies and deceives the electorate. And of course that's not happening either. We get what we ask for, and Qld asked for the lying b!!ch.
Pay the bloody rego, or cop the fine, and all of the ramifications that go with an accident if you're not registered. It stinks, it sucks, but what the hell can we do.
If I could do one single thing to influence state politics in Qld, it would be to have "Can Do" Newman as leader of the Qld Libs. Then, in my opinion only, might we see some realistic law based on engineering and commonsense as opposed to the sh!t faced cowards who presently preside behind deliberate misleading of the electorate. As I said, my opinion only. And if you're reading this Bligh or Fraser, smirk while you can. Hopefully, when enough Qld's wake up, you'll get a taste of what it's like to be in the Centrelink queue.

Dave

oldboot
03-07-2009, 10:30 PM
Some may well in deed say pay the rego or cop a fine ( those have gone up too).......BUT there may be an alternative if you have a small boat.........fit a smaller motor.......under 4 HP no rego required;D .

Now I wonder how many motors get.... um......"tuned".;)

Hmmm... i recon I can shoe horn a 6Hp head in the 4Hp cowling;D

OH........ we do actulally have a fishing licence fee in QLD. it is paid with every boat regestration.

cheers