PDA

View Full Version : Waeco Fridge

fadd
21-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Are the Waeco 40ltr fridges advertised at Annaconda for $399 any good i would be using it only for short trips 1-3 nights cheers Adam:)

FNQCairns
21-06-2009, 10:13 PM
What sort of fridge is it?? If it's 12v heater element type fridge so doesn't run a danfoss compressor then it might pull up to 10 amps an hour..simply not do-able without the car running constantly or a half trailer worth of charged battery's along for the trip or a genie running nonstop.

Aldi have a 40L 3way ATM for around that price, the deal will be the same on 12v I suspect but you do have gas for the stay and 240 to rev it up with 24 hours before the trip.

Others may know your particular unit of interest better or for sure.

cheers fnq

chisel
22-06-2009, 09:18 PM
It's a mobicool, right?
I think they are made by waeco but don't have the same compressor (ie. not the danfoss) as the normal waecos. They might still be ok but there's a question mark. I suspect their warranty is a lot less than the normal waeco warranty, and probably the current draw is a lot higher.

oldboot
22-06-2009, 09:50 PM
If its $400 it will almost certainly be a peltior effect cooler, not a true fridge.

Peltior effect devices are a semiconductor item that produces heat on one side and cool on the other... they are a heat pump.... great device but they have limitations.

the biggest is that they will only produce a heat gradient of about 20deg C in a single stage.... so if it is 30 deg outside it will only get down to 10 deg C inside.

5 deg C is considered the maximum temperature for safe refridgeration.

none of the peltior effect coolers will produce ice.

the other problem is that these things are not all that efficient compared to compressor based fridges

you would be better off with a half decent esky and some salt water ice or even better dry ice.

cheers

fadd
23-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Tanks for the info guys i will do some more research these fridges are on sale and are usually $699

GBC
23-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm guessing its the three way model, not the thermo-electric one oldboot.
They are still only a fridge and won't freeze, but go O.K. as long as you don't want to cool hot stubbies in them all day long etc.
I've got a similar companion 30l version for longer stays up the beach. Forget it on 12v in the car - they draw so much they melt the plugs. It can be done but I don't know that it is worth it.
Once on the gas keep it off the ground in the shade with good airflow and perfectly level and they are fit for purpose however.
Bear in mind this isn't my only fridge - just another fridge I have. If I was getting just one fridge and it was going to be three way for similar dollars it'd be a second hand chescold/dometic. Much more fit for purpose than the cheapies.

chisel
25-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm actually pretty sure it is a true compressor 12v fridge. Could check with waeco but the smaller C18 model is definitely a 12v compressor fridge. Not sure what temps the particular compressor can handle though, or what current draw.

chisel
25-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Pretty sure it is this one http://www.getawaeco.com.au/products.asp?id=423&catId=6

fadd
26-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Thats the one Chisel runs 40deg below ambient and draws approx 1.5amps .Only 12v and i am getting conflicting reports how to power it onsite without a generator annaconda say it will be sweet with my deepcycle leccy motor for 3 days but the guy from Battery World says it wont unless i upgrade to their $450 model battery.Cheers Adam.

chisel
26-06-2009, 08:54 PM
40 deg is ok, but not as good as the 50deg on the normal waeco's. Not sure if the 1.5A is an avg but if so the for 3 days (72 hours) you'll need about 105 AH capacity. Since you shouldn't drain your battery completely (depending what type) ... I think you are looking at 130AH+ in your battery(s). In an AGM, that would indeed be about $450. Might be worth getting a real waeco CF40 which has lower current draw (average about 0.8A or about half the mobicool) and may be ok on your existing battery. I think you can get a CF40 under $800 some places.

Gilli
26-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Mate 1.5A seems a bit low for a DC application of this type, i read somewhere that this particular model draws 8 amps roughly but will receed down to about 5 or 6 amps once it has cooled sufficiently. Although i could be wrong, just my 2 cents.

regards,
Chris

Aunty Jack
29-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi Fadd' ive been looking and reserching my self
try googleing [ waeco ].
did you knowtheres a waeco factory at reedy creek /burleigh heads
ive been told they can do good price

manchild
30-06-2009, 06:52 AM
Here is the link :http://www.getawaeco.com.au/products.asp?catId=6&subCatId=10