PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y. Fibreglass Help???

Fish Lips
21-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

i'm trying to put a second battery on the old Yalta, but need to fibreglass in a flat shelf for the battery to sit on it needs to be about 25mm/1 inch thick.
I want to try and match it to the battery shelf on the other side of the boat.
any tips on D.I.Y. fibreglassing would be very helpful.

:dankk2:

Micadogs
22-06-2009, 09:48 AM
expoxy 1 inch exterior grade plywood in position. Round off the top edges and fill in the bottom edges so they are not 90 degress. Fibreglass over top. Alternatively, do the fibreglassing first then expoxy in position. No corners can be 90 degrees as this will create air bubbles and fibre glassing wont last very long.

ThePinkPanther
22-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Wear disposable gloves and if you are doing any grinding, coat yer exposed bits with Vasoline.

If you get the glass powder on your skin, you will know the real meaning of ITCH!!!

The powder gets stuck in the Vasoline and washes off in a hot shower.

business class
22-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Wear disposable gloves and if you are doing any grinding, coat yer exposed bits with Vasoline.

If you get the glass powder on your skin, you will know the real meaning of ITCH!!!

The powder gets stuck in the Vasoline and washes off in a hot shower.

Come on its not that bad;) a teaspoon of cement helps also:P ;D .

Grind up all your surfaces including the marine grade timber your using for your tray, also a light scuff for the tray, Then resin coat the timer. Once the resin has dried then give it another light scuff to get rid of the wax. Cut yourself 2 little cleats for the tray to sit on at the hight you require, if you are able use hot clue on the cleats as they are easier to remove when glass is dry if you don't have a glue gun use car bog. Once it is sitting there in place cut your self some glass, make sure you cover both sides and the back and 200mm wide, then wet your self out 4 oz of glass and start rolling out. Then once glass is dry remove the cleats underneath and glass underneath of the tray. If you have minimal room under there glass your cleats in instead of bogging them. Hope this helps.

Cheers
Matty

jimbo59
22-06-2009, 02:29 PM
coat yer exposed bits with Vasoline.

The powder gets stuck in the Vasoline and washes off in a hot shower.[/quote]
Yeah try this trick i did when i had a broken fly,best fun is washing it off;)

Apollo
22-06-2009, 04:16 PM
For me, I would be glassing the tray before installing as it is heaps easier than glassing upside down. I would be rolling all edges to allow easier transition of the glass around the corners. As mentioned above seal all timber with resin first. Once the tray is glassed and dry, mark a line on the side of the hull and any structure the tray stands on and rough up the surface to give a keying bed. Make up a bog of resin and microfibre mix (fairly thick - similar to dough) and lay out a bed on the side of the hull where the tray meets and also on the contact surface of any tray stands. Place the tray into place and make sure it sit well into the bog bed. Using a round shape (bottom of a beer can works - empty of course!, so does a large old spoon), run the shape along the joins to create a smooth fillet on top of and below where the tray meets the hull. Tidied up as much excess as possible whilst it is still hasn't gone off. Once it has gone off rough up the fillet and wet down with resin, before applying fibreglass tape (wide enough to cover the fillet plus atleast 1inch on to the hull and tray).

Should end up with a very strong tray.

Finish off to what ever standard is required, but paint it as a minimum.

Best of luck

Fish Lips
20-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks to all for help.8-)
Here's the progress so far.

The first picture shows my old set up with 3 individual fuel tanks.

Pain in the ass, changing tanks over etc...

The next pictures show the new 75 litre tank i have bought and the new battery shelf all ready to be glassed in.

Going well so far, have just started glassing the tray this morning (messy bloody job)

Will keep you posted.

Fish Lips
01-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Shelf is all glassed in and ready to be painted.

I covered the shelf with glass first, then bonded it to floor, then 3 layers of matt and about 6 coats of resin.
It seems to be quite strong.

I also got excited and glassed in a mounting block for the dual battery switch, and some cleats to hold the fuel tank in place.

I cheated a bit with the mounting block, i used treated timber and glued it in position then just glassed straight over the top, i didn't cover it with anything first.

It will be interesting to see if it lasts as long.
8-)

Cheers

Chimo
01-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Hi FL

One assumes you glassed the underside of the timber before installing?

Also having just had a look at what your doing it occurs to me that it may be useful to develop a tray on which your battery can sit and that also holds the battery in place on your shelf but can be slid forward to allow you to check / service the battery. Even a battery box sitting on the shelf that has an easily undone bracket, operated on the tank side could work. Then you just have to release the bracket and slide the battery / box forward and do what you have to do.
Just a thought...........

Cheers
Chimo

PS If you mix about 5 to 10% coloured flowcote with your resin on your last coats you will have a finish that matches the rest of the insides. If you wait more than 24hrs between coats you will have to sand the suface to remove the wax but I guess someones probably already mentioned this point.:P

Fish Lips
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi FL

One assumes you glassed the underside of the timber before installing?

Also having just had a look at what your doing it occurs to me that it may be useful to develop a tray on which your battery can sit and that also holds the battery in place on your shelf but can be slid forward to allow you to check / service the battery. Even a battery box sitting on the shelf that has an easily undone bracket, operated on the tank side could work. Then you just have to release the bracket and slide the battery / box forward and do what you have to do.
Just a thought...........

Cheers
Chimo

PS If you mix about 5 to 10% coloured flowcote with your resin on your last coats you will have a finish that matches the rest of the insides. If you wait more than 24hrs between coats you will have to sand the suface to remove the wax but I guess someones probably already mentioned this point.:P

Thanks Chimo.

mate i glassed the underside of the battery tray first before installation, so that should be all good.
but, the little mounting block i just cheated/lazy and just glued it straight to the side then glassed over top.
So it will be interesting to see how long it lasts, it will be easy to replace if it doesn't hold.

I have a plastic battery box and strap for the second battery so that should be ok.

This is the first fibreglassing i have ever done, so i wasn't sure how to approach the coloured flowcote issue. (not even sure where to find it??)

I am having some acrylic enamel colour matched by my local paint shop, so it should look ok when painted.

Cheers
simon:)

Apollo
03-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Simon, now you are this far, just make sure you finish it off right when screwing in your fittings. Drill the holes, then fill them with epoxy. Coat you screws with a light smear of vasoline and screw on the fittings whilst before the epoxy goes off. This will seal the holes nicely and reduce water ingress.

cheers
Steve

Fish Lips
16-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Job is all done!8-)

Turned out great, even got a close match with the paint and the white flecks on top.

Took the old girl out on friday and it all worked well.
It is certainly a vast improvement on the old setup, and well worth the hours of work and fiddle assing around.(not to mention the cost)

I have installed a Teleflex fuel gauge and sender and that seems to be fairly accurate.

Having the dual battery setup is great for your peace of mind.

This was my first attempt at fibreglassing anything and i found it to be quite easy, although bloody messy.
I encourage anyone who is thinking of doing some glass work themselves to give it a crack.

Again many thanks to those that took the time to give their advice/opinions.

As far as costs go,

75 litre tank $300
Fuel gauge and sender approx $150
Fibreglass materials approx $200
Dual battery switch and wiring approx $100