PDA

View Full Version : Plastics Combo 4 Snapper??

gleeeza
20-06-2009, 06:24 PM
I am about to have another dig with the plastics and looking at getting a cheapish outfit/combo. I was thinking of a Starlo stick something!!!! and a reel???

I saw a video by Willo and I think he was using Shimano Baitrunners,this seemed to be very successful to me. Anyway has anybody else who is not locked into the light, light, light approach used a similar setup? I don't intend to fish with the rod in hand flicking all day, it doesn't agree with my back.

I am keen for a 4500 for float lining bait to fish for snapper as the 6500 I already have is a bit OS, so I am curious to see if it would work ok.

Cheers

Gleeeza

Horse
20-06-2009, 09:31 PM
You could look at a Penn Liveliner 560 if you want the baitfeeder mode and you can match it to something low cost like a wilson LSC 6-8 kg for well under the $100 mark (rod). It all depends on what you want to spend.
I don't think that Snapper are particularly hard fighters and there is certainly no need to go too heavy.
In reality any 2500-3000 sized reel, 10lb braid and 3-6 kg rod will pull up most Bay fish pretty easily. For targeting bigger fish or deeper water you can look to a 4000 size reel with a 4-8kg rod and move up to 12-20lb braid and you will handle mostr fish you come across.
In my opinion brands are pretty interchangeable and there are some good value offerings from Okuma, Pflueger, Tica and Penn as well as the popularist Shimano and Daiwa ranges

gleeeza
20-06-2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks Horse

It is good to hear someone throw out a non exclusive list of tackle, so far all I have got is why not the other brand and for a mere $100 more I could have.....

It is not that I am locked into a bait runner I am just trying to figure out what I need to do the job without going over the top. I will be working outside mainly so your view on the 4000 sounds about right it gives me options. I'm a bit of an overkill hound but I am learning.

nickstock
22-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Hi mate

I am a fan of bait runners and own a few ourselves but on saying that, I think for SP work, they are too bulky and heavy to be worked comfortably all day. Keep the bait runners for bait fishing and buy a new combo for your plastics

I bought a new soft plastics set up for my missus yesterday. It will be used off Cooktown for Trout, Lippers, Queenies, Trevs and around headlands and shallow wrecks for Fingermark and Barra

I spooled it with 30 pound braid as we will get hit by bigger fish more often than not and it is nice to pull them up before they hit the reef. In your case you could use 15 pound braid if you wish

I have no brand alliance what so ever and we decided on a Daiwa Exceller 4000, 30 pound Rovex braid and a Daiwa Procaster 6-10kilo rod. The entire combo came in under $350 and will be an awesome all round rod offering excellent value for money

Like Horse said Snapper don’t go overly hard and this set up would nail any Snapper that you will come across. Also a nice set up to flick slugs at Long Tail and Mackerel too

In fact, I will probably end up buying the same combo in the very near future

Nick

gleeeza
22-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Nick

A funny thing I was out today looking at a 3000 Exceller as they didn't have any 4000s in stock and I must say I liked what I saw. I was comparing them with a Symetre and found it to be a smoother reel and slightly smaller which I suppose would be a good thing given what I intend doing with it.

It worked out well on another front, I picked up a Dropshot Tournament Pro locally for $115, which is $80 off the normal price from Mo Tackle. Gotta be happy with that!!! This will be well balanced to the Exceller 4000 so I guess I am heading in the right direction based on what you say.

I will give the Baitrunner a miss at this stage but I do want to get a 4500 to fish with my 6500 which is on the large side but a good unit all the same.

Next step is braid, lures and I am in the game. I have jagged a few fish with the wrong gear so far and I am keen to give this stuff a good go.

Cheers

Glenn

nickstock
22-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Sounds like your on the right track Glenn,

Don't get me wrong, I like bait runners and I rarely head out to sea with out one on board. It is a case of making do with what you have available. I have caught many good fish on plastics using a 4500 bait runner matched with a 10-15 kilo live fibre. It stops most things that I encounter on shallower reefs in North Queensland. It does however get heavy after a days use.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Nick

NAGG
22-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Love the 4500 Baitrunner for snapper ....... but for bait (floaters)!

Its way too bulky to be used to try to work plastics during a session .
when you compare a 3000 / 3500 spin reel to a 4500 Baitrunner - there is a world of difference.
As mentioned ..... you generally dont need a big capacity reel - just one that has a nice smooth drag.

Chris

Fish_gutz
23-06-2009, 08:57 AM
the Daiwa tierra 4000 is a well priced priced reel and has a nice smooth drag and feel about it.

Andrew

JB
23-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm using a stradic 5000, and also a daiwa sol 4000, both have been performing very well so far , but i'm really liking the stradic as the retrieve is nice and quick.

Both reels handle 30lb braid no worries (castaway is nice if you can afford it) .

In saying that, last season i used a 4500 baitrunner with 30lb braid for snapper plastics and caught fish just as well but as they say above.. got heavy after a few hours!

JB

gleeeza
23-06-2009, 06:42 PM
I have had a look at some of the reels mentioned and they seem great but at this point with the cost of all the start up tackle involved in this caper I have lowered the bar a bit and ordered a 4000 Exceller(Not too low) and I have been assured it is up to the job.

It is surprisingly expensive to get this show up and running, so far I am out of pocket over $500 and counting. I still have to get a few different sized jig heads, and rubbers yet so there is still more pain to come. She who must be feared and revered will not be pleased but........

At least I can use the baitrunner plonked in a rod holder and as you say still get fish, I will have to work out a decent storage method for the new rod it is so bloody light I am worried about breaking it, all my gear to date is robust and probably doesn't get handled as gently as it deserves. How do other people store their light gear under way? Any pic's would be helpful.

Gleeeza

Adam_G
25-06-2009, 12:33 PM
gleeeza,

I put my SP outfit in the rocket launchers while underway just like all the other gear, never had any dramas.

Adam

gleeeza
25-06-2009, 01:02 PM
I suppose you are right, I am probably just being a bit over the top with my new toy, if I dont have to muck around storing gear differently then I wont!!!

Tomorrow looks like my fist shot at this and I am dead keen, the Richmond is out of commission again, and not likely to be fishable for a while save for the walls so out we go. The swell is on the way down but they expect it to start making again after the weekend, ya cant win some times. Will let you know how I go.

cheers

Gleeeza

ozscott
27-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Can I ask this of Horse and similarly experienced Bay punters...if you use the correct sized leader, and assuming you are fishing only plastics and are chasing whatever is on the bottom in places like the Rous Channel is there any disadvantage (apart from handling weight) to running say 20 pound braid on a 4000 reel and a slightly heavier rod say 6-8kg compared to the 3-4kg rod with a 2000 series and 10 pound braid....I am putting this question on the basis that the 6-8kg is a good graphite rod with plenty of feel (in my case a Phleuger Medalist with the ceramic guides and plenty of feel and power to burn).
\\

Cheers and thanks

Horse
28-06-2009, 09:06 AM
There is no reason that the heavier setup will not catch plenty of Snapper. I really dont see the need to invest a lot in a plastics stick. I have found that the lighter rods are however more comfortable to hold and this is very important if you are actively working the plastic. A heavier rod is usually fairly stiff in the tip and any action you impart will be greatly exagerated in the lures action. If you watch the action of our typical jerkshad styles closely they normally look much better with a much more subtle approach. I also normally dont go over about 12lb braid as in deeper water it can be advantageous to get lighter jigheads into the strike zone where they look a lot more natural than a heavier head.
I would say that the best way to use a heavier rod when hunting spooky Bay fish is just to deadstick in a rod holder and let the boats action work the plastic. Most of my better fish have come to my deadsticked offerings and I always have a rod in the holder. When using this technique you still have to be working it by regularly releasing line to keep the lure in the strike zone. Areas like the Rouse are pretty shallow and you should be able to fish it fine with your heavier outfit. It will also give you a bit more stick when you cross paths with a nice Cod

ozscott
28-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Much appreciated Horse! Cheers mate.