PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new trailer

scottishguy
19-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I am looking for a new trailer for my Freedom Escape 5.3m as the old one is a pain in the arse.

I like the multi-roller trailers without the keel support rollers as I often mark my boat on these.

Any recommendations on what trailer to but and secondly where to buy from?

cheers
Jock

Dantren
19-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Definitely buy direct from the manufacturer.
Belco trailers get quite a few thumbs up from people I talk to.
FMS trailers do a lot of custom jobs.
Dan.

CCDrifter
19-06-2009, 02:42 PM
You could try Gold Coast Trailer supplies down here. They have lifted their game a fair bit from past and can run you out a trailer for a good price.

Nathan

scottishguy
19-06-2009, 04:47 PM
I started off looking at the Mackay and Belco trailers but then I got some quotes:o

So now i'm looking around at the Swiftco end of town...

Some quotes that have came back...

Mackay Multi-Roller PU47-13-M - $4838
Belco Multi-Roller 5.4m $4503
Dunbier Multi-Roller SR5.3,-13-B $3812
Swiftco Multi-Roller 1450 - $2700

All trailers are galvanised, LED submersible lights. light-truck tyres, mechanicaly braked.

The Swiftco has a mixture of keel and wobble rollers which is not ideal for my needs but at that price it's mighty tempting. In fact, I can get the tandme version of the Switco for $3,400 which is still lower than the others.

Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"?

Dantren
19-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Whoever you go with, maybe you could negotiate with them to setup the trailer to suit your hull after purchase - they'll do a better job at it than most dealers.

wetryin
19-06-2009, 09:08 PM
My first offshore boat was a Bluefin escape 5.25 with a Dunbier trailer. Now you dont know a pain in the ass trailer when you are stuck trying to winch (one speed) this beast onto the trailer. It had the usual (few) bottom rollers with side skids which the boat litterally stuck on, till the winch could budge it from. I thought of options and instead I bit the bullet and bought a new boat, a barcrusher which came with an easytow trailer as standard.

I now have options- with 2 people at the ramp I can drive on/ drive off.
1 person only can drive off, I can drive it on but it slides off too easily! (maybe I need skids to hold it there!) or I think I need an auto locking device) but winching on is no effort and winching is a cinch (with 3 speeds; actually I can use the fastest speed until its about 2m from the winch post) as there are no skids for resistance. The bc trailer has approx 12 bottom rollers and side wobbles so it is self centering. A huge feat over the last trailer/ boat package which I used to find would roll off the bottom rollers with even just the slightest of current at the ramp.

The trailer is an easy tow trailer (I think they make them for other than bc boats as when I went for rego they were aware of them). I would recommend that (according to previous posts on this site; search bar crusher trailer) that you coat with tectyl to be on the safe side to prevent rust.

scottishguy
20-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Does anyone have a Switco trailer that can give some feedback?

White Pointer
20-06-2009, 06:39 PM
I started off looking at the Mackay and Belco trailers but then I got some quotes:o

So now i'm looking around at the Swiftco end of town...

Some quotes that have came back...

Mackay Multi-Roller PU47-13-M - $4838
Belco Multi-Roller 5.4m $4503
Dunbier Multi-Roller SR5.3,-13-B $3812
Swiftco Multi-Roller 1450 - $2700

All trailers are galvanised, LED submersible lights. light-truck tyres, mechanicaly braked.

The Swiftco has a mixture of keel and wobble rollers which is not ideal for my needs but at that price it's mighty tempting. In fact, I can get the tandme version of the Switco for $3,400 which is still lower than the others.

Is this a case of "you get what you pay for"?

G'day,

You do get what you pay for and all of the above are good brands. Make sure the specifications are equal, though. Have you asked Northside Marine for a quote. Good people to deal with in my view.

Regards,

White Pointer

White Pointer
20-06-2009, 06:48 PM
My first offshore boat was a Bluefin escape 5.25 with a Dunbier trailer. Now you dont know a pain in the ass trailer when you are stuck trying to winch (one speed) this beast onto the trailer. It had the usual (few) bottom rollers with side skids which the boat litterally stuck on, till the winch could budge it from. I thought of options and instead I bit the bullet and bought a new boat, a barcrusher which came with an easytow trailer as standard.

I now have options- with 2 people at the ramp I can drive on/ drive off.
1 person only can drive off, I can drive it on but it slides off too easily! (maybe I need skids to hold it there!) or I think I need an auto locking device) but winching on is no effort and winching is a cinch (with 3 speeds; actually I can use the fastest speed until its about 2m from the winch post) as there are no skids for resistance. The bc trailer has approx 12 bottom rollers and side wobbles so it is self centering. A huge feat over the last trailer/ boat package which I used to find would roll off the bottom rollers with even just the slightest of current at the ramp.

The trailer is an easy tow trailer (I think they make them for other than bc boats as when I went for rego they were aware of them). I would recommend that (according to previous posts on this site; search bar crusher trailer) that you coat with tectyl to be on the safe side to prevent rust.

G'day,

It you want to make launch and retrieve a one person operation get a boat latch.

See www.boatlatch.com/ (http://www.boatlatch.com/)

I've got one on my 6M platey and it works a treat.

Regards,

White Pointer

fez
20-06-2009, 08:51 PM
S-P,

seing a though you are at Deagon, what about Sandgate Trailers. Tey are on Sandgate Rd opposite KFC at Deagon. Heard some good reports about them, more along the custom job, more likley to get looked after at a smaller place as well, seeing as though you are a local.

fez

scottishguy
21-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Yep, that's where I got the quote for the Swiftco trailer. I think I'm going to go ahead with this at least I'll have a local presence if anything goes wrong.

ozbee
21-06-2009, 11:59 AM
do you have a desire to waste money if your old trailer is sound why not buy the bits to change the configureation .not hard to weld a support bracket here or there.

scottishguy
21-06-2009, 03:18 PM
I hear what your saying but I'm an IT Contractor, not a welder, I don't have the gear or skills required to weld steel. I also don't have the luxury of mooring the boat somewhere while I repair/restore the trailer.

Having said that, I wouldn't rule out paying someone to do the work but I'd imagine that this would be over a grand anyway. For a 12 year old trailer that doesn't work too well anyway, it might not be worth it.

tin can marlin
21-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Definitely buy direct from the manufacturer.
Belco trailers get quite a few thumbs up from people I talk to.
FMS trailers do a lot of custom jobs.
Dan.
I fpeople keep doing this there will be no dealers left think about all the workers at these places as i have said before i think there should be a union involved in boats.

oldboot
21-06-2009, 09:49 PM
I hear what your saying but I'm an IT Contractor, not a welder, I don't have the gear or skills required to weld steel. I also don't have the luxury of mooring the boat somewhere while I repair/restore the trailer.

Having said that, I wouldn't rule out paying someone to do the work but I'd imagine that this would be over a grand anyway. For a 12 year old trailer that doesn't work too well anyway, it might not be worth it.

depending on how your current trailer is constructed you may not have to weld a thing.

In fact you may be able to fix all you problems with a bit of adjustment, a few new parts and a bit of grease.

as for mouring the boat.......just toss it off on the lawn........if you have the space.....you just winch the trailer back under it when yu are ready.

cheers

litenup
22-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree, stick to what you u know. and I buy new one. Don't spend money on the old trailer. Make sure you get a trailer long enough, there are some people who try to sell u a shorter trailer to save money. U will hate your self and the trailer if it is short and boat hangs off arse end of trailer and winch post is up against the boot of car. Cheers Pete.

Dantren
22-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I fpeople keep doing this there will be no dealers left think about all the workers at these places as i have said before i think there should be a union involved in boats.

Fair point TCM. I agree.
Just trying to help SG avoid a mistake I am paying for.
Sure, go & buy a new trailer from a dealer.
Just make sure you get the right one & get it setup properly.

I've found the trailer manufancturers are better at selecting & setting up trailers than dealers.

Suppose you'd have to select the trailer manufacturer, trailer model, then find a dealer, then find the right price.

One can learn a lot at boat ramps. And there's some pretty hot trailers around Ausfish.

Dan.

Chimo
22-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi S G

If you are unsure about the potential your old trailer has to be repaired then why not ask an experienced AF in your area to have a look with you to check it out?

Also is the Mckay trailer you priced what you do in fact need for ther boat. At least Mckay, who do make good trailers, provide some good tools to alow you to work out what you need. This is just part of their tool kit. http://www.mackaytrailers.com/trailer-selection/boat-measurement-guide Have you checked their site out. Not saying to get one of theirs but using their tools at least you can draw up correct specs. Avoid GIGO!

Cheers
Chimo

Dantren
22-06-2009, 06:46 PM
SG,

There are heaps of trailer repair contacts on Ausfish if you use the search function.
Why not post up some pics of the current setup?

Chimo, WTFI GIGO?

Dan.

Chimo
22-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Dan

GIGO One for the computer "ites" Garbage In Garbage Out but then again it applies to so much today.....

eg Qld Govt and the Kruddite Feds

We (well some of us) voted garbage in and we sure are getting garbage out of all our pollies

What else can I say?

Cheers
Chimo
very, very, p!ssed GOM