PDA

View Full Version : Charging 12volt Battery

jethro279
18-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Hey guys wondering if someone can help me, i own a yamaha 30 cv outboard motor and it has a 2 pin plug fitted on it, can i charge my battery off this while the motor is running and if so what do i need and roughly how much would it cost , would appreciate any help on thi thanks jethro

reelchippy
19-06-2009, 07:39 AM
Mate i am know auto leckie but i wouldn’t charge any battery while connect to the motor unless it was though some sort of switch to isolate the motor.May i ask way you want to do this cheers

groverwa
19-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Jethro - have a look at - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=149232&highlight=charge+battery

As the above mentioned thread indicates you need to rectify and regulate the voltage from your outboard to suit the battery - too high a voltage and/ or current may affect the life of the battery

Hope this helps

Mike

breamexplorer
19-06-2009, 08:25 AM
What you need is called a rectifier, about $80-$90. (dont quote me on this)..
Easy to install and should come with everything you need. Most boat yards sell them or you can get them from places like Dick Smith or Jaycar. Also they are really only good for keeping a battery topped up whilst you are out in the boat, will take a lot of driving to charge a flat battery if at all. After a boating trip i put my batteries on a smart charge and leave it going until next time, that way you start out with full batteries and the motor puts back the little that is used...

Kleyny
19-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Put a multi-metre in the two pins and see if your getting power out of it.
If you dont have a metre go get one from supercheap for about 12 bucks it will always come in handy.

neil

finga
19-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Put a multi-metre in the two pins and see if your getting power out of it.
If you dont have a metre go get one from supercheap for about 12 bucks it will always come in handy.

neil
Try it on AC and also on DC.
You want DC reading and no AC reading.
If there's any AC then you'll need rectifier to make the AC DC and also need a regulator which usually come as a package deal when you get genuine
I do not know about this motor but some smaller outboards had a lighting point which was used for lighting only and was an AC output which is no god for charging batteries.

Blackened
19-06-2009, 08:44 AM
What you need is called a rectifier, about $80-$90. (dont quote me on this)..

G'day

How does $3.95 sound for a rectifier that will suit your engine?

Dave

Noelm
19-06-2009, 08:56 AM
how about you just ask a dealer what the plug is ised for? and I think it may be a lighting plug only, nowhere near enough current for battery charging, but ask to be sure, or consult a manual.

groverwa
19-06-2009, 01:43 PM
It seems that the 30 cv has an alternator rated at12V-80W (6A) so depending on what Jethro wanted to operate it may be suitable or at least keep some charge going into the battery with a rectifier/ regulator

jethro279
19-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey thanks for all the replies guys really helpfull i'm going down to my local yamaha dealer 2moro so hopefully they can shed some light on it thanks again jethro.

BM
19-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Jethro,

Your charge wires come from the stator under the flywheel. Can't recall the Yamaha colour for stator wires but I am thinking green.

In any case the output of the stator is AC and would typically be around 25-30VAC. If there is a rectifier fitted then the output will be DC around 20V. The battery supplies the load which pulls that voltage down to an acceptable level.

Most small outboards (and most older outboards of various hp) are unregulated in their output as the current provided by the stator is pretty minimal.

You could purchase either a genuine kit if you wanted to regulate it but they may not even sell a regulated kit from genuine as its pointless (its possibly only a rectifier kit), or you could get a regulated kit form a motorcycle supplier who stock them normally from about $50 and up.

Dick Smith sell 35Amp bridge rectifiers for $4.95 which you can wire in yourself (if you have no rectifier fitted) and you will then be right to charge your battery.

Mind you at 6Amps its not going to replace much unless your departing Brisbane for Sydney!!!!!!!

cheers

finga
20-06-2009, 07:46 AM
Mind you at 6Amps its not going to replace much unless your departing Brisbane for Sydney!!!!!!!

cheers
A man of adventure...good to see 8-)

BM
20-06-2009, 09:07 AM
;D ;D ;D

Mate if someone asked me to skipper their boat from Melb to Sydney etc I'd be there in a flash!

What an awesome experience.

Cheers

reelchippy
21-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks i now no whats a rectifier cheers

finga
21-06-2009, 08:10 AM
;D ;D ;D

Mate if someone asked me to skipper their boat from Melb to Sydney etc I'd be there in a flash!

What an awesome experience.

Cheers
In a tinny with a 30??
Mate, you are a man of adventure.
Your go-nads ARE definitely bigger then mine :-[

;D

RTFM1000
21-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Hey guys wondering if someone can help me, i own a yamaha 30 cv outboard motor and it has a 2 pin plug fitted on it, can i charge my battery off this while the motor is running and if so what do i need and roughly how much would it cost , would appreciate any help on thi thanks jethro

Hi Jethro,
I believe that 80watt of AC is available at that outlet. You will certinally need to fit a rectifier to be able to charge your battery.
Yamaha have 2 available to choose from.
1. 676-81970-00 will cost around $80.00 BUT IS UNREGULATED. I strongly discourage the use of this one as you run the risk of boiling your battery and damaging any electroincs onboard.
2. 6H2-81960-00 will cost around $160.00 + leads BUT IS REGULATED.
These units plug into the 2 green wires from under the flywheel (which lead to the plug in the front of the bottom pan).

Hope this helps.
Regards, RTFM1000

lippa
21-06-2009, 09:46 AM
recently put one on my brothers cv30, kit was 120 from memory, as said it will only top up battery.