PDA

View Full Version : 90 HP Optimax or Suzuki, you tell me?

Pedro Jnr
18-06-2009, 02:15 PM
Hi Guys, looking at repowering my Signature 530F from the old 2 stroke merc, I have narrowed it down to two engines, based on all of my research either engine is a cracker, but I can't decide!!!

Would you go for the Merc Optimax (approx $12,000) or the 4 stroke Suzuki (approx $13,500)

Like to hear from other guys that have been down the same road

Noelm
18-06-2009, 02:24 PM
kind of doubt you will get too many sensible answers, some will say 4 stroke at all cost, others will say Opti, and then some will chip in with a dozen lame (and old) reasons to go either way,so better off to just make up your mind as best you can, either will serve you well, and the $1500 saving looks mighty nice to me.

siegfried
18-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Pedro, personally the 4stk zuki without a doubt but on that boat I would have thought min 115hp as the engine weight is similar. Bit more dollars but a good hull like them needs enough donk with full fishing gear fuel food and fullas etc. The 1500 saving does look good but when the warrantys over and things need doing that 1500 will be long forgot on the scale of things, there is a reason the majority of commercial blokes use 4 stk. Now before I get upped,This is not a biased opinion it is based on my personal experience and nothing more.

kokomo
18-06-2009, 02:44 PM
opti no brainer! :)

Wahoo
18-06-2009, 03:01 PM
yep Opti for sure, sweet motor

Daz

rowanda
18-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi Mate
whatever you get I'm sure you'll be happy with. Personally if it were me, it'd be a 4 stroke for the quietness factor. I know others are quiet too, but can't beat a 4stroke. I also have a 530F with an older 2 stroke, but a 115hp. If replacing i definately would be replacing with another 115 as it can come in handy to get out of a situation or as someone mentioned when loaded with gear and a few people. Great hull, been thinking of selling mine, only due to lack of use and can't see that changing for a while and also wife looking at changing houses>:(

kokomo
18-06-2009, 03:19 PM
can you post the stats on each motor.. mostly intersted in power and weights.. the 4 stroke guys might be right and you might need a 115 4 stroke vs a 90 2 stroke..

Dantren
18-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Been happy with my suzi 90.
Go the four banger if you do a lot of trolling & enjoy the peace & quiet.
Go the opti if you want better holeshot.
Are you sure 90 will be enough for your rig?

Roughasguts
18-06-2009, 03:27 PM
I would go the Suzuki, but a 90 is a bit small.

But I would also be concerned the Merc might go the way of GMH and Chrysler! Merc's are made and owned in the states right.

Pedro Jnr
18-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Yes guys all valid points, at the begining the only option I was looking at was the Optimax as I was worried about the weight of a 4 stroke hanging off my transom, the original 90HP 2 stroke Merc I currently run weighs in at 138kg's, the Optimax is 170kg's and most of the current 4 strokes on the market are around the 185kg mark, the new light weight Suzuki just caught me eye it weighs 158 kg's, if I went to a 115 Suzuki it would be more weight (194 kg's) and more coin as well!

cormorant
18-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I have a friend going through a similar decision at the minute.

He was looking at the Evinrude . Any reason he shouldn't in that size as he was gettng good demo motor price?

He was headed that way as his local marine place is the agent so very convenient and colour to keep wife happy - sheesh the things you have to do.

A lot depends on who your local dealer is for servicing and also help with correct propping and set up. 40kg is a fair bit of weigh when hung out over the transom at rest. Next time out put a few sandbags out there and see what it feels like and what performance you get with same hp?

I am going to run my old 2 stroke into the ground as it is basically worthess second hand now and have been saying that for a few years but just won't die. Fuel and range can be an issue but not as much as the $ in my pocket. Just wish they would stop putting up the prices as it is getting really serious money -- bit silly the expense of motors at the minute. I thought the whole financial crisis would deliver me a cheaper motor but the reverse is happening - go fiure that one. At least the warranty periods have got better.

honda900
18-06-2009, 04:21 PM
I have in the last 12 months changed a motor over, from a 130 2 stroke to a 140 4 stroke, both engines were new, the yam 130 was sold 12 months old with 90 hours on the clock.

Bottom line in the performance stakes, even, no change after correct propping although the yam was slightly faster at the same rpm. in the fuel consumption stakes (was carby model 2 stroke) economy is on average 50% better, sometimes better.

Weight on the zuke is 189kg for the 100Hp; 194 for the 115 ??? and 190 for the 140.

I havent been on any boats with an opti's so cant help you there.

Ref:
http://www.hainessuzukimarine.com.au/home/motor_details.asp?id=52

regards
Honda

Scott nthQld
18-06-2009, 05:46 PM
soemthing you have to consider is the cost of the oil the opti will burn as well and factor in the better fuel economy of the suzi.

the 1500 saving instantly might look good now, but factor in costs of 2str oil plus servicing and there's no doubt the suzuki will end up in front overall.

Another member here (ozbee) recently went from a 250 etec to a 300 suzi on the back of his patriot and per 100 hrs the suzuki is $1200 in front thanks to the cost of oil for the etec. And thats not factoring in the better fuel economy he gets out of the suzi. The new 300 suzuki get 1.4km per litre, the etec got 1km per litre, plus the 2 stroke oil.

Big difference in size compared to what you are looking at, but the best example I have, with me having seen both engines in action and actual costs of running each one. I know you are looking at an opti, but a 2 stroke is still a 2 stroke and needs oil to burn.

stinky-stabi
18-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes guys all valid points, at the begining the only option I was looking at was the Optimax as I was worried about the weight of a 4 stroke hanging off my transom, the original 90HP 2 stroke Merc I currently run weighs in at 138kg's, the Optimax is 170kg's and most of the current 4 strokes on the market are around the 185kg mark, the new light weight Suzuki just caught me eye it weighs 158 kg's, if I went to a 115 Suzuki it would be more weight (194 kg's) and more coin as well!

wots the e-tec weigh.???:o

Tinlegs
18-06-2009, 06:02 PM
G'day Pedro jnr,

I've just been going through the same thing with my platey, although in a bigger engine size.

I don't think I could have bought a bad one, and all things factored together (2/ oil, services, fuel consumption etc) they all worked out to be reasonably similar.

Having been through all that with an open mind (and I already own a DI 2 stroke on my tinny), I made the choice and went with a four stroke Suzuki, which seems to have the best tech, the best performance for my application, and the best deals around at the moment. I then negotiated hard and received a substantial discount on top. It's a good time to be buying I think.

Should have it fitted in the next couple of weeks and will post reports as time goes on.

Cheers, and good luck - there are worse problems to have than fitting out your boat ;)

Mark

BarraBandit
18-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Hi Mate,

I would choose the Opti, as a fact... I AM! 175 Optimax for my 2005 Tracker Avanache V18 DC.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

ped cairns
18-06-2009, 07:24 PM
i have only ever had merc's for 15 years wouldnt look at anything else
i only had 1 opti a 225 optimax great motor
but now i have 140 zuk and i would find it very difficult to go back to any oily 2stroke
if budget allowed the extra initial cost 4 stroke zuk. every time i go to aservo cant help but laugh.

are you sure 90 is big enough
Ped

Luke G
18-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Do you want ringing ears and the smell of burnt 2 stroke oil??

wetryin
18-06-2009, 08:57 PM
Motor decision is a difficult choice.

My first offshore I went with an etec (115). Mainly for the 300 hrs/ 3 years till the first sercice. Now a year later I dont have that boat (not able to cope offshore) or that motor (that no where made it to the first service). But am now happy I dont have that motor.

When I first started enquiring about trades, as usual they werent interested in trading a boat without motor. And for the new boat I wanted I needed a long shaft so using the standard etec on the new boat I was told not possible.

I went with the dealers option. Yamaha 100. It powers my bar crusher superbly. Despite the etecs sales speel, I found (the etec) chewed too much oil ( and $$$$ at $70 or so for 4 litres of etec oil) and especially at high speeds it was not very good at fuel economy and (during summer months) I found when you trolled at low speeds you could smell the fumes noticeably ( in my old half cabin). And even though it was quiet the yam is definitely quieter.

So much so that I have fished at a spot and thought whats that sound (thinking it was under the boat) only to find that I left the motor on!

I have been out in a merc and found it sounds like a motor ( and a little loud) never been in a suz, but put etec against yam I would choose yam.

another note A mate of mine bought twin etecs for his boat. One had a faulty control board,This meant towing the boat (not a small rig) back to the dealers. NOT what you would expect from a new motor.

Prior to the first purchase I would have never chosen yam

Now only yamaha (if in the etec vs yam debate). Thats my opinion.

BarraBandit
19-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Look, the new 2009 Optimax's have fixed alot of the problems of previous models... The Optimax I think is the way to go, more output and get up and go.

Again, its what your happy with.

siegfried
19-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Look, the new 2009 Optimax's have fixed alot of the problems of previous models... The Optimax I think is the way to go, more output and get up and go.

Again, its what your happy with.
Howd ya bloody know ,theyve (09models)only been around for 6 months;D

Goldfinch
19-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Have a friend who is a very experienced boat builder in Perth who builds a similar sized boat. Has tried them all to death and swears by the Suzuki and Yammy over everything. He is not biased as he sells the boat to his dealers without motor. His personal boat has the Suzuki 115.