PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Shallows

Riptide_45
18-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Hey guys its been a while since my last post but i thought i should post this one. headed out tuesday at about 945 with 2 on board. we were greated with fairly choppy conditions. it was blowing a stiff 15knts across the bay. we stopped and loaded up on livies. there are some big slimies around at the moment. arrived at our spot just after 11. fishing bait and plastics we scored some really good fish.

it was slowish for the first few hours with only a few fish coming on board. one being a nice spangled around 5kg on plastics. at about 3 the bite went crazy. we had a 4 way hook up both plastic rods took off and both bottom rigs went off. we got a good snapper on a livie, a good parrot on the bottom and another good squire on plastics and the hooked popped on the other fish. thinking it was a smaller kingie the way it fought.

the tally ended up: snapper bag out biggest went 6.5ish maybe 7kg
2 spangles 7kg and 5kg
2 parrot
1 Scorpian cod

Came home in glassed out conditions and arrived back at ramp and 6pm. ill post some pics soon

uglyfish
18-06-2009, 09:31 AM
mate where bouts is the shallows?nice fish too mate

nickstock
18-06-2009, 09:35 AM
Nice going mate,

Pound for pound, the Spangles are right up there on the top fighting list for me.

Cheers,

Nick

Midnight
18-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Nice fish mate, sounds like a good day out.

Did you get your livies around Comby Point? or elsewhere?

Probably gonna head out next week and would like to pick up a few on the way through also.

Cheers,
Myles

No Fear
18-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah some ripper fish there......gotta love mid weekers!!!

I am going to be listening intently as to where you get your livies as well....need to get some for the weekend just like Midnight!!

Great report and thanks for the pics!!

skipalong
18-06-2009, 05:06 PM
some nice table fish guys top work

justin

soulfish
18-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Some nice healthy fish mate,that amonium nitrate must have kicked in.

cheers jason

wags on the water
18-06-2009, 06:56 PM
mate where bouts is the shallows?nice fish too mate

That would be east of Moreton Is. but not too far east....

wags on the water
18-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Nice fish Riptide_45. Great too see the size of snaps getting bigger. A couple of 'horse' sweeties too. Thanks for your report.

Cheers,

Wags

jtpython
18-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Thats a massive lot of lipper sizes ........... Great stuff
White fillets all round

JT

bdaearth
18-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I think it is time to head back out around morton again. Did you take any notice of the water temp???

jarhead
18-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Quality fish mate, well done.

Cheers Wal

tfish
18-06-2009, 10:34 PM
oh ripper fish mr riptide....it would have been polite of you to ask me to tag along...as you drove past my job site...beeeping and carrying on. ya clown. hahah bout time some quality fish jumped onboard. cheers mate. trav.

Gazza.Boyne
19-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Some quality fish there Riptide_45 & getting out mid week must be awsome.

What is the Plastic set-ups you used. I'm keen to start using plastics a bit more around the Bunker group, just not sure on the right sized rod & reel set-up.

Cheers Gazza

Riptide_45
19-06-2009, 02:48 PM
getting the livies on the southern bait grounds. down towards the bar. i was using a 4-6kg egrell bear on a 2500R luvias with 10lb super pe braid. 20lb leader. na mate didnt take ne notice of the water temp

nickstock
19-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Hats off to you light tackle guys Riptide_45.

Everytime I use less then 30 pound braid with big plastics on the reef up here I get bricked.

What are you secrets?

Nick

warti
19-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Good lippers. Nick is spot on, they fight hard. Big grassys are my favourite and i would love to get one on a plastic.

Midnight
20-06-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks Riptide,

I'm more Northern Bay so I will have to find my own livie spot up that way on my way outside. Thanks for the info though, much appreciated!

Cheers,
Myles

Stroadman
21-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Riptide, Nice fish mate although I think your kg should be lb.
In relation to the size of the knives on the table, they're only 3-4kg max.
Still nice fish, Heretic.

Riptide_45
21-06-2009, 04:19 PM

O im sorry u would think that i would know the weight of my fish wouldnt u considing i actually felt the weight of the fish. hmmm i guess not then hey. must hav only been 3-4kg. or should i say 6-10lbs o i am sooo sorry. mate next time if u hav nothing good to say dont bother typing it cause i dont really care. u wonder y people stop putting posts on here. thanks to everyone else for ur posts. appreciated

hungry6
21-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Here we go again, LOL, people just need to learn if someone has put time and effort into writing a report, please take it as "prima facie" and be humble about your reply, maybe then, they will return the favour of writing up more about tackle and techniques, hich all of us can do with some ore at one time or another, and no, I dont know Riptide45, I'm just ropeable about lame a#rs response and the attitude the comes with it...
If you werent there you werent there, just take it as it was told...
Sorry, if I have offend anyone here
cheers
wayne.

bondy99
26-06-2009, 09:36 PM
G'day hungry6

I also support your comments, If people where not there at the time of capture then they should not invent concepts.

Placing knives or coins or beer can or whatever against something only provides a relative size end of story...all over red rover.

How's things going with you Wayne? Would be good to catch up some time down the Gold Coast spit or similar.

Cheers, Peter

LBGaddict
03-07-2009, 06:52 PM
No-one ever said how big the knives were, could be 10cm blades or 25cm blades, so you can't use them for scale. They look genuine 5-7kg spangles, which are part and parcel of any trip around the cape this time of year. Pain in the arse things, get in the way of thesnapper, shame they are prone is toughening up at that size.

mangomick
04-07-2009, 12:50 PM

Hey Stroady
In the photo I posted of my last trip to Lamont how heavy is the Red throat at the end of the table and the biggest trout thats on there.
I forgot to weigh em;D

Stroadman
04-07-2009, 01:48 PM
you tell me mickey boy:-*;D

heretic

Jurkyjj
05-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Nice going mate,

Pound for pound, the Spangles are right up there on the top fighting list for me.

Cheers,

Nick

Agreed!!!
Check out my avatar.
This spangly was 5.5kg and I caught him at Shallow Tempest.
Floated a whole cuttlefish down the water column with no weight and just kept feeding out line.
Once you feel the small bumps, feed out a heap of slack line and click the reel into gear and hold on!!!
Great fighting fish.

Great catch mate!!:D