PDA

View Full Version : Best 40HP 4stroke

I GOT CRABS
16-06-2009, 09:26 PM
hi there i am looking at buying a 4.4 Sea Jay territory and was wondering what the best 40Hp 4 stroke would be to put on it? I am leaning towards a Yammy but would like to hear what different people have and what they think of their 40s good and bad. Cheers Crabs

Lancair
16-06-2009, 10:09 PM
An Etec, hands down.
Mine is brilliant, quieter and cheaper to run and maintain than any 4 banger.

TheRealAndy
17-06-2009, 08:20 AM
An Etec, hands down.
Mine is brilliant, quieter and cheaper to run and maintain than any 4 banger.

Funny that he asked about 4 strokes, not 2 strokes. I betcha the etec costs the same in the long run...

I am lucky enough to have used most of the major 4 bangers in the 50hp range, the honda, merc and yamaha. IMO, the Yam wins hands down. The Merc is the worst mainly because of noise and vibrations. The honda is also good. Cost of running fuel wise on different boats is actually not that different.

For comparison, the Yam 50 on a 4.5m polycraft, the Merc on a Javelin Longboat, and the Honda on a 4.5m Stabicraft

I would go the yam or the honda based on what your local dealer sells. The Merc is ok and we have had no problems with it, but its just alround noiser.

Have you considered the 2 strokes?

Peter4
17-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Crabs, I have a 40hp Honda Fourstroke on my 4m Horizon Stalker. In two years of running on the bay and in the impoundments I have never had a problem.

Power is good, starts reliably and runs very quietly. As far as fuel economy goes I generally spend a day out in the bay travelling from Wello to Peel, around Peel and back to Wello on 8 - 10 litres of fuel....

Hope this helps.

Regs

Pete

Noelm
17-06-2009, 08:54 AM
kind of reckon if you got all the brands on the same boat, but covered them up so you could not see or know what brand they were, almost nobody could pick the best, noiseyest, smoothest or anything else, but put a brand "label" on one, and instantly the Yamaha/Honda/whatever was far better, simply because of brand loyalty, but in fact they will be all the same.

SgBFish
17-06-2009, 09:11 AM
A dealer who didn’t sell either of these once said to me that 115 and under buy a Yamaha and over 115 buy Honda.

I’ve had a 40 hp and currently have a 115 Yammy and I love them.

nickstock
17-06-2009, 09:44 AM
For resale value I would go the Yam mate.

I have had a 50hp Honda 4 stroke and it was one of the worst motors I have ever had. Fuel economey was approx 25% more then my mate with a Yam in the same size on the same rig. Keeping in mind that mine was not one of the new model Hondas that have been released

This is not to say that Hondas are rubbish, there are thousands of people who have had no dramas.

Like NoelM stated,
You will find good and bad reviews from everyone that you talk to so if I was in your situation, I would buy the Yam for ease of resale.

All new 4 strokes are winners I think so I am sure it will just come down to price and a dealer that you are happy with. Resale is not such an issue if you plan on keeping the motor for say 10 years. If this is the case then it may come down to price alone as they will all be top motors.

Good luck mate,

Nick

foxx510
17-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Hasn't Honda just released a new 40hp model?

I GOT CRABS
17-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Crabs, I have a 40hp Fourstroke on my 4m Horizon Stalker. In two years of running on the bay and in the impoundments I have never had a problem.
What Brand of 40 do you have mate.

Have you considered the 2 strokes?
Yeah mate I have but only the etec. The only thing I didnt like about the 40 etec is that it doesnt have the idle control for trolling like the 25 and 30 and I do alot of trolling

JB
17-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Etec's quieter than 4 strokes... BWAHAHAHAHAHA watever.... funniest thing i've heard all day.

Oh etec's still smell like stinky 2 strokes!! Ahh... fresh 4 stroke air :)

New yammy or honda 4 stroke 40 sound like the goods, i'd be going for 1 of them.

TheRealAndy
17-06-2009, 03:26 PM
kind of reckon if you got all the brands on the same boat, but covered them up so you could not see or know what brand they were, almost nobody could pick the best, noiseyest, smoothest or anything else, but put a brand "label" on one, and instantly the Yamaha/Honda/whatever was far better, simply because of brand loyalty, but in fact they will be all the same.

Noelm you should come jump on my boat one day then jump on our yacht club rescue boat. Mine has the yam, the yacht club has the merc. Big difference in noise, you dont need same type boat to compare the 2. I have no brand loyalty, the only reason I got a yam is because I bought the boat with it. I would probably go a tohatsu or chonda (chinese yam/honda ripoff) if I were to buy new, mainly because of cost.

Peter4
17-06-2009, 03:36 PM
Crabs, I have a 40hp Honda Fourstroke on my 4m Horizon Stalker. In two years of running on the bay and in the impoundments I have never had a problem.
What Brand of 40 do you have mate.

Sorry......

Whitto
17-06-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't forget Suzuki.....they have a DF40 and are offering a $1495.00 cash back on all models

whatscracken
17-06-2009, 08:33 PM
Have to disagree Noel, comparing a Yamaha to a Merc is like chalk and cheese. Go the Yamaha mate and never look back!

killitfillit
17-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I just went through all this with my tinny and if it is tiller steer there are two options honda or yammy.
Narrow that down with corrosion problems and factory warranty back up and you are left with the cheapest,lightest,best looking engine in it's class the yammy.
In a forward steering configuration the suzuki is an option but does it idle as low as a yammy...no

foxx510
17-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Narrow that down with corrosion problems and factory warranty back up and you are left with the cheapest,lightest,best looking engine in it's class the yammy....

Re the weights, Honda's and Yamaha's new EFI 40 4st are within a few kg of each other. The Honda has 61 cc greater displacement. But yes, the new Yamaha does look good.

hateworkin
18-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Crabs,

For my 2 cents worth i agree with most others, Yammy...

I have a Seajay 4.35 with the 40 Yammy 4 stroke and love it to bits.

Plenty of times have done 100ks in a day crusing around the bay and can't fault it . great boat and great motor = great days....

Cheers

John

dazza
18-06-2009, 09:12 PM
hi,
i have had a 40hp honda on a 4.1 stessco for 6 years now, hate to think how many hours is on it, hasn't missed a beat, it does use more fuel than the bro in laws 60 yammie, that motor is a freak
cheers
dazza

I GOT CRABS
19-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Crabs,

For my 2 cents worth i agree with most others, Yammy...

I have a Seajay 4.35 with the 40 Yammy 4 stroke and love it to bits.

Plenty of times have done 100ks in a day crusing around the bay and can't fault it . great boat and great motor = great days....

Cheers

John
is your 40 yammy the carby or fuel injection version

hateworkin
24-06-2009, 06:54 PM
is your 40 yammy the carby or fuel injection version

Hey Crabs,

Mine is the carby version, a few years old now 2003 yr i think. I bought it off a member on here and he also used to go to moreton a bit from fishermans island.

Sometimes i will put the boat in at Long Pocket ( St Lucia) and drive it out to fishermans island or mud island to go fishing, takes about 45mins, ave cruising speed i like to sit on 42kph, best top speed with wind and tide was 58kph.
My last trip to Cape Moreton i did 122 km ( garmin gps) and used 28.18 lts of fuel, tank holds 60lts so happy i love to cruise around when the weather is good and just enjoy the day and the bay.

Would recommend the yammie... would be great to get the new injected but very happy with mine. Hope this helps with your big decision,

Cheers

John ;D

the baker
24-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Hey mate I have 2008 carby 40 hp yammy absolutely amazing outboard on my 4.2m and gos like a cut cat

Jabba_
24-06-2009, 08:22 PM
The worlds best 4st might leave you with a jagged pill to swallow if you have the worlds worst dealer...

Find out who has the better after sales service, and highest customer satisfaction in your area and buy a motor from them...

All the 4st are good, just the dealers that vary from great to piss poor...

the baker
24-06-2009, 08:30 PM
well said Jabba I could not agree more you spend alot of good hard earned money on your outboard you want it looked after

Dave

bushbeachboy
25-06-2009, 07:12 AM
For sheer ease of use, go the Honda. It has the best tiller control setup, bar none. I used to be a firm Yamaha man with regard to the positioning of the PTT switch, but today I sat in a boat equipped with a new Honda, and it is a step up again. Much better. The PTT switch is located in the throttle handle, in a better position even than the Yamaha. The PTT switch moves with the throttle, so is always in the best position.

With the Yammie the power trim and tilt switch is located so that it sits under your left thumb when driving from the starboard side. It is a true one-handed operation, but does not rotate with the throttle.

If you are getting a manual start/tilt model (do they still make them?) it makes no difference which brand you get. One motor is not better than another, but the Honda control system in the tiller models is superior.

kingcook
08-11-2009, 09:11 PM
Etec's quieter than 4 strokes... BWAHAHAHAHAHA watever.... funniest thing i've heard all day.

Oh etec's still smell like stinky 2 strokes!! Ahh... fresh 4 stroke air :)

New yammy or honda 4 stroke 40 sound like the goods, i'd be going for 1 of them.

Was at the boat show up sunshine coast, got to see the latest etec, I was disappointed in how rough it ran and how noisy it actually was. I have ordered a 2010 yam 4banger EFI, It is hands down the best! boat goes in tomorrow to fit.:laola:

what you save on 2stroke oil, it definitely makes up the extra on a 4stroke service!

Cheers guys

Charlie
08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
I ordered a 40efi yammy today, looked hard at the Etec but it still can't match a 4st if you like to slow troll and the rrp is $900 more than a 4st, seriously not many people will lay out eight grand for an etec engine and not get a yearly service by the dealer.