PDA

View Full Version : She's Done

Nobites
16-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, after some additions on my part (Windscreen wiper, underwater lights etc etc) she's finally finished.

Thanks to Sam at Performance plate boats for putting up with me and my anal rententive ways throughout the process, I wouldnt get anyone else to build a boat for me. He is definately a boat builder who is working for you and listens to your requirements.

Also thanks go to Onshore marine for the fit out and Paul Burton for his stunning paint job.

To cut a long story short my dad and I set out to build a 7 metre plate boat start of last year, however we wanted it to be a stern drive diesel. We powered the boat with a 260HP Yanmar (BMW engine) diesel and Bravo 3 Leg.

I chose all Garmin electronics throughout. Unfortunately dad passed away before he got to see the first fishing trip but I did get a chance to take him out on the boat for a run. He was smiling from ear to ear but I think he would really enjoyed the fishing on the first serious fishing trip.

Pics are below, the plan was the bunker group from Boyne, it was the same weekend as the hookup and we wasted no time driving from Brisbane to Boyne Friday night. We slept for an hour in the boat ramp car park (couldnt sleep too excited) and headed out early saturday.

Well to cut a long story short we were home that afternoon with a 110 litre evakool full of Coral trout, red throat, red emporer and the other usual culprets.

The fishing was insane, best fishing I have had for a long time and the conditions were perfect. We filleted the fish, had a good nights sleep, then headed out again the next morning, by around midday we had 2 short of our bag of good sized red throat and settled down for the night.

The next morning we went on the attack again and bagged 3 legal reds, blue maori cod and finished off our bag of red throat. We couldnt put a foot wrong.

We ended up doing around 550 klms for the two trips and using 410litres of diesel. The boat has 6mm plate bottom and 4mm sides and weighs arouund 3 tonnes. With that weight she rides beautifully, we used the volvo trim tabs to push the nose down a little to punch through a bit of sea on the second trip out, it was very comfortable.

I hope this is the start of many more successful trips.

Nobites
16-06-2009, 09:26 PM
More pics from the trip

outwide1
16-06-2009, 09:29 PM
NICE RIG,its a shame dad didnt get the chance to fish in it.

skipalong
16-06-2009, 09:32 PM
shes a top looking rig mate a long process indeed how did you find the trailer?

justin

Benno1
16-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Wow shes a peach allright!!!...good way to christen her as well with the red fish...your Dad would be pleased mate...great trip!!!
What sort of bait did you guys use???...where abouts in the Bunker Group did you pull up???...were there many other boats about out there???...thanks for the piccies and report...top shelf stuff :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

bigjimg
16-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Very nice rig should be happy with that.The proportions are spot on.And to top it all off with perfect seas and a great catch your Dad would be proud,well done.Jim

bobbyb
16-06-2009, 09:35 PM
a beautiful boat mate.a credit to you and your dad...

i know he will be smiling down on you every trip. and keep him with you.

cheers

Nobites
16-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Skip Along
The trailer is a Belco, very well built however had a few issues in the early stages with loose nuts. Ended up going through the whole trailer with a rattle gun and tightening everything up, all good now.

I greased and Denzo taped axles and springs and also had to upgrade the axles as I want expecting it to weight that much.

Its a skid trailer with Keel rollers drives on and off very easily am extremely happy now.

No_bites

Horse
16-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Very nice vessel. Damn shame your Dad did not get to enjoy it

Greg P
16-06-2009, 09:45 PM
Very nice rig and looks like a great way to christen her. Sorry to hear about your dad.

cheers

Greg

dayoo
16-06-2009, 10:36 PM
Kristian,

Nice boat mate. Glad you took my advice and went to see Sam at Performance Plate Boats. Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Cheers
Barry

Midnight
16-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Gday,
Nice one mate, looks like she does the job alright. Its a shame the old fella didnt get to use it in anger with you.

What brand of insulation did you use in the engine box? Is it nice and quiet?

I need to redo the sound insulation in my Berty, the noise of the Volvo diesel is quite offensive ( think ear plugs when goin offshore!) since I ripped out the old oil soak insulation that was in there when I bought the boat.

Cheers,
Myles

backlash08
17-06-2009, 05:23 AM
Hi NoBites,
congrats on the new vessel, very nice and a good catch as well
cheers - Craig

TimiBoy
17-06-2009, 05:58 AM
Really nice story, thanks for sharing it. That was Dad directing the fish I reckon!

Cheers,

Tim

jtpython
17-06-2009, 05:58 AM
That is one nice rig .... Sorry to hear about your father
Great fishing trip by the pics
JT

Nobites
18-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Dayoo Yep thanks again for the advice, you were spot on.

Benno 1 We used pillys, squid and hussar flesh, however I think we had the best success with a couple of fresh squid heads that we managed to catch.
Fished right along the group between Lady Musgrave and Wistari and eastward.

Midnight I got the insulation from a mob in eaglefarm (Brisbane)
Industrial & Marine Insulation Pty Ltd (http://www.yellowpages.com.au/onlineSolution_moreInfo.do?iblId=3647689&iblName=Industrial+%26+Marine+Insulation+Pty+Ltd&headingCode=34673&listingPosition=1&originatingPage=ListingPage&authToken=121f29e56cf%7C4c25b91291b83722064b18794b 6518fa&pageNumber=1&st=bn&productVersion=0&z=&productId=0)
Unit 2, 330 Curtin Ave (West) Eagle Farm QLD 4009 - ph: (07) 3868 4411

It was a dual sandwiched foam and was not cheap however does a great job. I used Sisalation tape and a contact adhesive from bunnings to stick it on.

The common rail diesel is pretty quiet, its not as quiet as a 4 stroke however this is due to my air intake being on the underside of the gunnel on the inside of the transome. Its probably one of the best spots to draw air without covering the engine in a fine salt mist which you can get from the outside of the transom.

Everyone else Thankyou very much for your kind words, its comforting to be part of the Ausfish community.

Fish_gutz
18-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi No bites, thats an awesome looking rig and a good haul for it`s maiden fishing voyage , I`m sure your father will be a guiding light on all of your future ventures.

Andrew

Dean1
19-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Nice looking boat mate.

I was down at Performance Plate Boats today chasing a piece of pipe and found Sam a very helpful genuine bloke. I think theres a big future for them as they have low overheads and they build a dam good lookin platey. Have a look at Alexander. I was checking out the 5m job he's onto at the moment. One of those would do me just fine for close reefs up north, good luck with her and great maiden haul. Cheers Deano.

captain rednut
19-06-2009, 11:10 PM
hi its great to see one of sams performance plate boats in the spotlight! he definatly makes a great boat and keeps his customers happy! great choice.
cheers cr

nigelr
20-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Great story, great pics and great boat. Hope you have many many more successful voyages, thanks for sharing this one.
Cheers.

Midnight
20-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks Nobites,

I will give them a call.
Cheers,
Myles