PDA

View Full Version : Reds & Babes on "Keely Rose"

dayoo
16-06-2009, 09:26 AM
My fishing buddy Frank has been making a guest appearance as deckie on "Keely Rose" (Rainbow Beach Charter) for 6 of the past 9 days and phoned me up late on Saturday night and invited me up to do a special as there was only two booked in for Monday.

Headed up to Rainbow on Sunday afternoon and went around to Ed Falconers house (Ed is the skipper and owner of "Keely Rose") too find out the game plan for Monday. Ed said that 6am was blast off time and we would be hitting a mark out wide he hadn't fished for over 12 months. There would be two Canadian tourists also making the trip who hadn't fished before::) .

The next morning at 5am I met Frank and Ed and we prepared the boat, bait and rods for the days activities. Ed went to collect the two tourists and arrived back at the boat with two attractive Canadian tourists:o .

Ed said that Frank and I would have to do most of the fishing as the two ladies hadn't been fishing before and he would have to show and help the ladies how to fish;D .

After a steady cruise out doing 22knots we were approaching point X when Ed saw a huge show on the sounder. He said lets have a drop on this but we only got just legal hussar and three red throat emperors. We moved and another show on the sounder about a mile short of point x persuaded Ed to drop anchour and try our luck.

As soon as the baits neared the bottom all rods bent and up came large hussar around the 45cm size. After an hour we nearly had the bag limit of 50 hussar with the ladies excited at having so much fun (Ed too) when suddenly the hussar ceased biting. The sounder showed that we had moved slightly off the mark due to a wind change. Frank then changed to whole squid bait on a snood rig and was immediately slammed by a head shaker which turned out to be a 7kg red emperor. One of the ladies then screamed as her rod buckled over nearly pulling her in, Ed grabbed the rod and boated another red about 7kg. The two ladies were excited but were reluctant to drop down for fear of being pulled in or loosing the rod overboard and just took pics of the action that followed.

Frank on his next drop hooked into a big thumper of a red and half way up it let go. Inspection of the 8/0 gamakatsu hooks revealed that one had been bent out of shape :o :o = big reds. Ed then was on to another large red with his big gun 8/0 hooks but once again the hook was straightened:o :o .

While this was happening I boated a school red of about 7kg and then changed my hooks up to 10/0 big thick old mustards on a snood rig and dropped down with a hussar fillet. Slammmm TLD reel drag locked at 6kg and the fight was commenced. After some huffin and puffin with thoughts of my 40lb platypuss platinum line letting go I managed to land a nice 10kg red. This heralded the end of the reds as Mouri cod, sweetlip, gold spot wrasse and more hussar were boated.

Ed pulled the anchour and we moved over to another good show about 500metres away. Frank was first on and boated a nice 8kg blue mouri cod (cattle dog cod) followed by two nice coronation (lunar) trout. bastard!!!because I got bricked into the reef by what could have been a nice trout.

We headed back in at 2pm after many pics were taken on board. Frank wanted one twilight pick of his trout (will post pic later as I've exceeded the pic space).

The ladies were thrilled with their offshore trip and Ed filleted a few fish for them to take back to the backpackers hostel.

Thanks Ed and Frank for quick but exciting trip. Never made it to point x but there is always next time:)

Imagine doing an overnighter on the reds mark with decent sized hooks and whole hussar as bait;) ;) ;)

Rhys (aka revs57) is coming over at 10 am this morning to help me make 25kgs of sinkers. I phoned him last night and he is bringing over his filleting knife. He may score a slab of red emperor;D

Pics attached.

Cheers
Barry

thelump
16-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice:o The fishing looked pretty good too;D One of my mates caught a coronation trout off Point Lo0okout on Sunday:-/ Good tucka he reckoned.

samson
16-06-2009, 10:11 AM
I've had the same sort of action up there lately once you find those giant hussar with big gold spots mixed in its only a matter of time when the reds fire but on some shows the mid water aj's don't let you through to them but hey it makes for exciting fishing. Love your deckies though had a few willing backpackers up that way offering their skills before but knocked them back but after reading how those girls handled it maybe i should of left my regular crew on shore and took the more attractive option.

Cheers samson

Wahoo
16-06-2009, 10:15 AM
great report:o so where is the pics of the reds:P

Daz

dayoo
16-06-2009, 10:26 AM
great report:o so where is the pics of the reds:P

Daz

Daz,

You talking about this one.

Cheers
Barry

Reefmaster
16-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Top stuff lads...Never been on a charter but I god damn wish I was on that one. mmmmmm backpackers and reds. Doesn't get any better.. Well maybe lol

Greg

Wahoo
16-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Daz,

You talking about this one.

Cheers
Barry

lol........good stuff Barry

cheers

Daz

Pistol_P
16-06-2009, 12:58 PM
;D ;D ....Greg has been beaten..!!!.....Reds and backpackers.....thats as good as it gets...8-) 8-)

Cmon Greg.....Lift ya game....Next report BIG REDS and BIKINI BABES fighting them....;D ;D

Pete

Reefmaster
16-06-2009, 01:22 PM
;D ;D ....Greg has been beaten..!!!.....Reds and backpackers.....thats as good as it gets...8-) 8-)

Cmon Greg.....Lift ya game....Next report BIG REDS and BIKINI BABES fighting them....;D ;D

Pete

LMAO Pete...;D I have a few contenders that would make them look very ordinary ;) so might have to get them out for a trip.. One just spent 10 grand on herself so you can imagine the Bikini shot;D :o

Greg

dayoo
16-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Yes it was a unforgetable trip only wish I was about 25 again to enjoy the ladies more. Pic attached of twilight shot of the trout.

Cheers
Barry

PinHead
16-06-2009, 02:39 PM
LMAO Pete...;D I have a few contenders that would make them look very ordinary ;) so might have to get them out for a trip.. One just spent 10 grand on herself so you can imagine the Bikini shot;D :o

Greg

what are you going to do Greg..stick a backpack on Foxie...still doesn't quite make the grade.

TimiBoy
16-06-2009, 02:46 PM
Barry, what I said to Rhys this morning I meant! You are a total, utter bastard! What a day. Those Reds (and those backpackers) must've tested out the ol' ticker!!!

You are the original fish magnet.

Cheers,

Tim

backlash08
16-06-2009, 02:55 PM
quality Barry!
thanks

revs57
16-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Geez those reds are a nice fish - even better after the filetting knife sorted out the bits we don't eat! Thanks for a great story and a lovely slab of Red! I can just see Ed now, two squealing Canadian Backpackers, Ed going for the reach around, "You do it like this dear!"

Cheers Barry,

Rhys

DazSamFishing
16-06-2009, 03:32 PM
Good on ya Barry.

Spot82
16-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Nice report Barry, well done on the reds!!! Sounds like a great day on the water!

Anthony

turkeyslapper
16-06-2009, 06:16 PM
My fishing buddy Frank has been making a guest appearance as deckie on "Keely Rose" (Rainbow Beach Charter) for 6 of the past 9 days and phoned me up late on Saturday night and invited me up to do a special as there was only two booked in for Monday.

Headed up to Rainbow on Sunday afternoon and went around to Ed Falconers house (Ed is the skipper and owner of "Keely Rose") too find out the game plan for Monday. Ed said that 6am was blast off time and we would be hitting a mark out wide he hadn't fished for over 12 months. There would be two Canadian tourists also making the trip who hadn't fished before::) .

The next morning at 5am I met Frank and Ed and we prepared the boat, bait and rods for the days activities. Ed went to collect the two tourists and arrived back at the boat with two attractive Canadian tourists:o .

Ed said that Frank and I would have to do most of the fishing as the two ladies hadn't been fishing before and he would have to show and help the ladies how to fish;D .

After a steady cruise out doing 22knots we were approaching point X when Ed saw a huge show on the sounder. He said lets have a drop on this but we only got just legal hussar and three red throat emperors. We moved and another show on the sounder about a mile short of point x persuaded Ed to drop anchour and try our luck.

As soon as the baits neared the bottom all rods bent and up came large hussar around the 45cm size. After an hour we nearly had the bag limit of 50 hussar with the ladies excited at having so much fun (Ed too) when suddenly the hussar ceased biting. The sounder showed that we had moved slightly off the mark due to a wind change. Frank then changed to whole squid bait on a snood rig and was immediately slammed by a head shaker which turned out to be a 7kg red emperor. One of the ladies then screamed as her rod buckled over nearly pulling her in, Ed grabbed the rod and boated another red about 7kg. The two ladies were excited but were reluctant to drop down for fear of being pulled in or loosing the rod overboard and just took pics of the action that followed.

Frank on his next drop hooked into a big thumper of a red and half way up it let go. Inspection of the 8/0 gamakatsu hooks revealed that one had been bent out of shape :o :o = big reds. Ed then was on to another large red with his big gun 8/0 hooks but once again the hook was straightened:o :o .

While this was happening I boated a school red of about 7kg and then changed my hooks up to 10/0 big thick old mustards on a snood rig and dropped down with a hussar fillet. Slammmm TLD reel drag locked at 6kg and the fight was commenced. After some huffin and puffin with thoughts of my 40lb platypuss platinum line letting go I managed to land a nice 10kg red. This heralded the end of the reds as Mouri cod, sweetlip, gold spot wrasse and more hussar were boated.

Ed pulled the anchour and we moved over to another good show about 500metres away. Frank was first on and boated a nice 8kg blue mouri cod (cattle dog cod) followed by two nice coronation (lunar) trout. bastard!!!because I got bricked into the reef by what could have been a nice trout.

We headed back in at 2pm after many pics were taken on board. Frank wanted one twilight pick of his trout (will post pic later as I've exceeded the pic space).

The ladies were thrilled with their offshore trip and Ed filleted a few fish for them to take back to the backpackers hostel.

Thanks Ed and Frank for quick but exciting trip. Never made it to point x but there is always next time:)

Imagine doing an overnighter on the reds mark with decent sized hooks and whole hussar as bait;) ;) ;)

Rhys (aka revs57) is coming over at 10 am this morning to help me make 25kgs of sinkers. I phoned him last night and he is bringing over his filleting knife. He may score a slab of red emperor;D

Pics attached.

Cheers
BarryHey Barry,Great report and great fish.Just wondering who to get in touch with to get a start on Keely Rose.I would love to get on a trip like that even without the Canadians and Iam straight.
Cheers Pat

dayoo
16-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Pat (turkeyslapper),

Check out the website www.keelyrosefishingcharters.com.au (http://www.keelyrosefishingcharters.com.au)

You may have to get a party together (6 to10people). Accommodation is available at the luxury Rainbow hilton (Kylie's place) for $25 per person per night.
This can be arranged for you by the charter operator.

Cheers
Barry

jtpython
16-06-2009, 06:44 PM
MMMMM nice
Fish are not bad either. Great going that would have been awesome. Monster hussars and reds
JT

turkeyslapper
16-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks Barry,I will get in touch them.
Pat

Dean1
16-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Geez Bazza you really know how to make a bloke jealous!!

What a trip thats what dreams are made of. Like you say, imagine the outcome if you spent some 'quality' time on those marks.

Bet you never got bored on that trip! Mate can you tell Frank I found his glove in my boat too. Cheers, Deano.

PinHead
16-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Pat (turkeyslapper),

Check out the website www.keelyrosefishingcharters.com.au (http://www.keelyrosefishingcharters.com.au)

You may have to get a party together (6 to10people). Accommodation is available at the luxury Rainbow hilton (Kylie's place) for $25 per person per night.
This can be arranged for you by the charter operator.

Cheers
Barry

nothing wrong with Kylie's places..stayed at one of them on Saturday night..very good value. That was about the 4th time we have stayed there.

Creek Vermin
16-06-2009, 07:32 PM

Greg
I'v spent well over 10 grand on my beer gut greg! And i take ok pics:P Must be due for a trip soon mate.:)
Cheers. Keith

whatscracken
16-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Great report Barry, doesn't get much better then that.

skipalong
16-06-2009, 07:59 PM
top work fellas it would have been one hell of a trip

justin

death_ship
16-06-2009, 08:08 PM
make the next trip in summer so we can see more (of) backpackers

Fixation
16-06-2009, 10:42 PM
Hey Barry,

Great report mate. Love the colour in that esky. Thanks for the read.

Regards,
Craig.

Pistol_P
17-06-2009, 01:22 PM

Greg

NNNNNice...!!!!.....

I sense white pointers and Reds...!!....;D

Pete

dayoo
22-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Found another nice pic of one of the babes holding the red she hooked.;D

Cheers
Barry