PDA

View Full Version : Is the 5.5 Seafarer Viking a wet boat.

Gozz
15-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Hi guys.
I've been looking at the Viking 1994 and later.
I've also read heaps of good stuff about it's ride, stability but a few mates have mentioned that they are wet especially when trawling slow.
I won't have clears on most of the time fishing in the bay as I have to pass under a low bridge but offshore I will have clears on.
Any truth in this(wet ride , soft ride , stability) as I have never been in a Viking before.
Thanks.

Smithy
15-06-2009, 11:07 PM
I reckon they are a pretty dry boat. They have a nice reverse chine and area very safe well built boat. All boats will throw spray taking on a sea on the quarter. They can be Seaspearers downsea in short sharp chop - think Moreton Bay in a 20knot NE seabreeze if you aren't on the ball on the throttle in some of the bigger troughs. You can put the nose through them and end up with a lap full of water. Trolling I reckon they are pretty dry. The bigger ones like the 6.8 and 6.2 can take on a bit of water trolling in short sharp stuff.

Ocean_Spirit
15-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Mate you owe it to yourself to have a ride in one. Very honest and solid offshore rig.

Chimo
16-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Hi Goz

Good boat

I have a 6.2 and Smithy is correct. It is possible to put the nose into a trough.

I did it once soon after getting the boat when I slowed down too much when about to cross a 35ft "gin palace" wake with 1.5 m troughs very close together.

First and last time. Its just a fact of life in all our "perfect" boats; they all have their little foibles.

At least with a Seafarer you will have good resale and you wont have splits in the hull and if its on a seafarer tinka trailer thats another thing to not have to worry about.

Cheers
Chimo

ozscott
16-06-2009, 03:14 PM
I have done the same Chimo in my 20 foot Vagabond (the first model)...they like some pace...but mine is 20 years old and you wont find a crack or problem anywhere with it...built like the proverbial. Mate of mine with an old Carribean Reefrunner was complaining that his prow was only 8mm thick - problems for windlass mounting....I showed him the void in mine for the rode - well over 3cm and thats typical of the boat. Having said that the Carribean is a well built classic hull - for whatever reason they just didnt think the prow was worth making that heavy.

Cheers

blackrat1
16-06-2009, 03:24 PM
i owned a VC and a viking and for their time they were one of the best ..They do however have a tendency to plow under waves at slow speed ie trolling NOT trawling hence their nickname VC submarine .They are stable but the viking in particular bangs quite hard and it felt more so by the fact that youre standing foreward while travelling . For my mind an old Haines hull is a better riding boat . Hope that helps

John Buoy
16-06-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi guys.
I've been looking at the Viking 1994 and later.
I've also read heaps of good stuff about it's ride, stability but a few mates have mentioned that they are wet especially when trawling slow.
I won't have clears on most of the time fishing in the bay as I have to pass under a low bridge but offshore I will have clears on.
Any truth in this(wet ride , soft ride , stability) as I have never been in a Viking before.
Thanks.
Goran get yourself a little weapon mate ;D
But seriously in that year/price range the Viking is a well tuned performer that has the respect of most owners
and your gunna need the clears in PPB no
matter what boat your using in that range.;)

Regards Frank

Jabba_
16-06-2009, 04:34 PM
As everyone has so far said, the Seafarer Viking is a little weapon... Basicly in any size range the Seafarer punches above it weight...

In choppy water you are going to get wet while trolling, but it won't be any wetter then any other 5.5m boat.... Besides, thats what clears are for...

The plowing or spearing that some have mentioned is easerly corrected by trimming the motor up/outwards.. This raises the nose off the boat.. Also by trimming upwards, that also stops alot off spray comming over the boat when the chop is hitting your front quater...

I must say I have never had my Seafarer or any other Seafarer I have been in plow while trolling...

Mindi
16-06-2009, 05:08 PM
My brother has had one for about 15 years and he is now thinking of repowering it I dont reckon I have been in a better boat of its length... but as so many say above Seafarers are just plain good boats.

stinky-stabi
16-06-2009, 05:56 PM
any body wanna buy one for 4500 with a 140 yammy salt water on the back????

Gozz
16-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks heaps for the reply's guys.
Just so where talking about the same hull shape.
This is her.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/gozzy_01/060115073940_bt-seaf9-0594001.jpg
I've been in the older shape and loved the build quality and room but the ride was very harsh.
I've heard that the new shape hull is very soft riding in comparison.
Is the new shape hull also prone to duck diving onto incoming waves.
Thanks again.

shayne
16-06-2009, 08:30 PM
any body wanna buy one for 4500 with a 140 yammy salt water on the back????
hi where are you located?

stinky-stabi
16-06-2009, 09:04 PM
hi where are you located?

sunshine coast m8...me m8 buying a pimped cadillac so boat must go......:)

Smithy
16-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Yes they are. See my post above. This is the 5.5m Viking I have probably done about 100 hours in and the 6.2m Vagabond I have done about 130 hours in.

siegfried
16-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks heaps for the reply's guys.
Just so where talking about the same hull shape.
This is her.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h198/gozzy_01/060115073940_bt-seaf9-0594001.jpg
I've been in the older shape and loved the build quality and room but the ride was very harsh.
I've heard that the new shape hull is very soft riding in comparison.
Is the new shape hull also prone to duck diving onto incoming waves.
Thanks again.
Similar ride Gozz, you will get belted in the choppy stuff

ozscott
17-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Without wanting to hijack the thread too much, Smithy have you ever been in the original Vagabonds....fair bit different hull forward that the newer ones (deeper forefoot and flare including a squared off section in the prow when viewed from above). 21 degrees at stern still. Have a look 2 posts down on this thread www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125475&page=4&highlight=seafarer+appreciation+thread (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=125475&page=4&highlight=seafarer+appreciation+thread)...

They sold a lot, and a lot with dual engines up in the far north so Lyndsay Fry told me.

Cheers

Smithy
17-06-2009, 04:09 PM
No I haven't. There were a few old Venus' getting around in the early days of my ANSA fishing as well as one of the 17' Vikings with the ski jump nose. The only classic I have been in is a HHV19C. In the original Seafarer Appreciation post I forgot to mention I had also been out in a 5.9 Victory with a 150 Oceanpro.

Gozz
17-06-2009, 09:56 PM
A mate of mine had the old 5.9 victory.
That boat was awesome,built like a brick ,rode real soft and very stable.
I didn't see him for about 12 months and he sold it in the meantime.
Wish I knew I would have bought it,he sold it for $17 grand.

ozscott
18-06-2009, 07:52 AM
How old a Victory was it Goss...the really old ones were very similar to my first generation Vagabond.

Cheers

PS. You see the off First Gen Vag for sale - usually in good condition and well kept. I have a mate who had one up to 5 years ago and he reckons that you see 1-2 still out wide fishing off shore....good to see I reckon

Gozz
18-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Man It must have been late 80's early 90's I reckon.
Yeah I'd take it out wide no problems,I've seen much worse boats out there.

Chimo
18-06-2009, 05:13 PM
GOZZ!!

"I've seen much worse boats out there"

Wash your mouth out!!!!

Cheers
Chimo

Gozz
18-06-2009, 10:21 PM
GOZZ!!

"I've seen much worse boats out there"

Wash your mouth out!!!!