PDA

View Full Version : I'm guessing this is not right???

Damned67
15-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Considering the other wheel is clean, I'm going out on a limb and saying that my inner seal is shot?
This has probably been dunked a few times since losing the seal, so I'm guessing my best bet is to replace the bearing assembly instead of just the seal.
Trailer was brand new at Easter, so I am yet to touch it, maintenance wise. What's the easiest way to determine whether it's Holden or Ford bearings? Bolt pattern?

Mr__Bean
15-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Diameter of the wheel stud is a simple check, Ford are 1/2 inch diameter and Holden are 7/16 inch diameter.

Simplified conversion, Ford is about 12 1/2mm and Holden is about 11mm.

Do you have Bearing Buddies? If so you may have pumped them up a bit high. If not then chances are that they over filled the hub with grease, something must have pushed the seal out!

- Darren

madmackrel
15-06-2009, 09:12 PM
8-) Mate just be carefull ,just because it might be a holden stud pattern it could still have ford bearings and vis versa
Cheers MM

Damned67
15-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Thanks Guys.
So, with the exception of removing the bearings first, it there a way to determine which bearings are running in the trailer?

Darren: No Bearing Buddies..... yet. Yeah, guessing that the bearings were just overpacked (somehow), but since the bearings have been underwater since the seal was compromised, it's best I replace them.

bigjimg
15-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Ring up the manufacturer of the trailer.Use the tap in type seal as the rubber pressure fit ones don't like bearing buddies.Plus there is no chance of it sliding out away from the hub,which by the look of it may have happened in your case.There shouldn't be any real damage you have caught it in time.Jim

bayfisher
15-06-2009, 10:03 PM
It looks like a 39mm round axle, if it is then its about a 99% chance they are Holden bearings. If you want to check pull the dust cap off and loosen the nut you will see a bearing number on the bearing, you may even see the number on the rear one if the seal is gone. The front bearing number for a holden is LM11949 and the rear is LM67048.

tunaticer
15-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Basically you need to pull the castlated nut off and measure the shaft size where the bearing sits. That measurement will determine the correct bearings be they holden or ford.
No chance to match bearings to bolt patterns or bolt diameters as traliers have been bastardizing the combinations for nearly 50 years. You can buy off the shelf almost any combination you could imagine for trailers now in the way of hubs and bearings.

Damned67
15-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Thanks again!
I'll give the mob the trailer was bought through a call, and if they're no help, or uncertain, I'll pull it apart.... It needs to come apart any way.

GBC
16-06-2009, 05:52 AM
I'll owe you a carton if they aren't holden.

ozbee
16-06-2009, 08:51 AM
is the seal actually out of the housing or is the grease squeezing out of the seal. if so i would bet the bearings are fine . a seal has to lips , the main one is to keep rubbish out the fine lip is to hold grease in but if you use bearing buddies and the housing is full it will push old grease out but the outer will still seal outside elements.

many people don't realise the power of a grease gun , it is easily over 5000 lb per sq inch. in fact used to tension the tracks on a 30 ton bulldozer or tanks.

result no seal will hold that

we have to drive our trailers on dirt roads to launch our boats and the extra grease that moves out is a good thing as it takes any dirt away from the seal.

trueblue
16-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Bearings will probably be ok. Just remove the whole assembly, clean it out perfectly, and regrease with boating grease and replace the seal. No need to knock the cups out of the housing.

re holden and ford bearings, don't even bother to try and work it out. some trailer mobs use a combination, ie one holden, and one ford bearing... (like my trailer...)

If you have to change bearings, always take both the cone and cup, as well as the seal, as a samples and buy exactly the same thing. Best to measure them up in the shop and check they are exactly the same. This way you can not screw up.

cheers

Mick

ovakil
16-06-2009, 03:01 PM
I'll owe you a carton if they aren't holden.

I'll take on that bet with my trailer holden stud pattern with ford bearings.
:P:P

GBC
16-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I'll take on that bet with my trailer holden stud pattern with ford bearings.
:P:P

Then I'll bet you a carton that you have a larger round axle than damned 67's, or a square axle.:P:P

Cheech
16-06-2009, 05:27 PM
I will get in on this. My trailer has ford patern and holden bearings, and Timiboys trailer has holden patern and ford bearings. Tuna has the answer. take off the nut and measure the shaft diameter, then go to Supercheap and measure the ford and holden bearings on teh shelf. The difference is clear.

GBC
16-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Damned67 - just measure your axle diameter - if its 39 or 40 mm its holden, if its 45mm its ford - yours doesn't look like a 45mm axle - hence the carton line.

People with weld on stubs take no notice of the above-
People with genuine alko - ring alko - they've even gone so far as to invent an axle with a holden inner bearing and a ford outer????? There's also a HD setup with ford outer for inners and outers (parallelish).

Stud patterns have absolutely nothing to do with I.D. ing bearings, and just serves to confuse when discussing them.

dreemon
16-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I've got 13 in holden wheeels, square axle, and ford bearings, I used to put holden bearings in it, They didnt' last long at all , got the original sized and they said one was holden and the outer was ford, then found out after heaps of bearings they were both ford, put bearing buddies on and no probs for 6 years,

how fun is it?;) :P ::) :( :'( :D

White Pointer
16-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Considering the other wheel is clean, I'm going out on a limb and saying that my inner seal is shot?
This has probably been dunked a few times since losing the seal, so I'm guessing my best bet is to replace the bearing assembly instead of just the seal.
Trailer was brand new at Easter, so I am yet to touch it, maintenance wise. What's the easiest way to determine whether it's Holden or Ford bearings? Bolt pattern?

G'day,

If the trailer was brand new at Easter, I don't think you own the problem. Ring the trailer manufacturer and make them fix it. Reason: The seal should not have failed this early - no way. Sure, it may have installed wrongly, but you may have a defective hub that the seal won't seat properly against. Make the manufacturer fix it and tell you why it failed.

Regards,

White Pointer

phewy
16-06-2009, 08:38 PM
I've got 13 in holden wheeels, square axle, and ford bearings, I used to put holden bearings in it, They didnt' last long at all , got the original sized and they said one was holden and the outer was ford, then found out after heaps of bearings they were both ford, put bearing buddies on and no probs for 6 years,

how fun is it?;) :P ::) :( :'( :D

So, you are saying you fitted holden bearings into your hub and then fitted said hub onto your ford machined axle dreemon?

Damned67
17-06-2009, 12:05 PM
G'day,

If the trailer was brand new at Easter, I don't think you own the problem. Ring the trailer manufacturer and make them fix it. Reason: The seal should not have failed this early - no way. Sure, it may have installed wrongly, but you may have a defective hub that the seal won't seat properly against. Make the manufacturer fix it and tell you why it failed.

Regards,

White Pointer

Hey White!
That was my first thought, to take it back to the manufacturer. But I simply don't have the time. It's not worth my $25 (for replacement bearings) to screw around trying to get someone else to fix it.
Cheers,

Damned67
17-06-2009, 09:36 PM
And the lucky numbers are:
LM11949 and LM67048

Couldn't see any overly apparent issues, except the inner seal seemed a bit 'soft'.
And there was a WHOLE lot of grease in there...... That said, there was none in the dust cap itself, a little on the nut, but not in the cap. Would have thought that if it was going to squeeze itself out past the inner seal, it would have also found it's way into the dust cap?

Damned67
18-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Well, that was much less fun that I imagined. Here was I thinking, as I pulled the bearings out last night, that it'll be a 5 minute job to put it all back together.... Yep, forgot about needing to remove the bearing cups. That was fun. I'm sure the neighbors hate me, wailing on those cups after 9.00pm..... I put the new cups in the freezer, so installing the new ones weren't AS bad as removing the old, but I'd still rather be drinking. And then couldn't find my bearing packer, and had to do that by hand.... and I'm never convinced that it's done properly by hand.
I'm guessing it'll be a while before I get around to changing the cheap chinese bearings on the other side....