PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Double Island. Seeking advice

tude08
15-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I am (hopefully) planning my first camping trip up to double island and wanting to take the boat up with us to do some fishing. I will be towing a 5.3M glass boat behind a Holden Rodeo TD 4x4 and will also have a Land Rover Disco making the trip with me. Having only ever been up to rainbow beach once before if anyone could help me out with some info for the trip. We are planning on hopping the barge and the heading up the beach to camp in the beach camping zone before the freshwater track. Do we need to make the trip at a dead low tide?

I had a look on the EPA website and they say that the freshwater road has 'some rough sections' and they recommend that people don't tow boats on the inland tracks. From what I have been told you take the freshwater track to Rainbow and then launch on the beach there, as the beach between the Leisha track and Rainbow is impassible. Is this the case?? Has anyone taken the track recently with a boat in tow? How was it?

Any other advice anyone wants to give will be greatly apppreciated. Trying to put the research in to make the best trip possible.

Getout
15-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I was there last weekend. Forget the Freshwater track, just use the boarded Leisha track to cross over to the Rainbow side and launch in the protected lagoon. The track has a nasty approach at each end, but its the only way. I saw some huge boats towed across from the Rainbow side.

tude08
15-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks Getout. I assume its fairly obvious where the protected lagoon for launching is?? (excuse the ignorance having never been up that end of rainbow)

Now to get the weather and work gods to align...

grey_inflatable
15-06-2009, 07:39 PM
hi the lagoon is a big bay as you cross the short inland track all the way up the beach. It all depends on which way the wind is blowing. i have launched on the on the noosa side of the headland up the beach. but mostly on the other side. Dont think about using fresh water just not worth the risk of damaging the boat or your fourby. My old trailer was just a sand anchor. the thing i like about launching from the lagoon side you are out there and you dont have to cross bar i love cruising around the headland seeing all the fish and turtles we normally anchor just behind the waves out of the wind dive off and swim. having saying that i almost flipped my boat mucking around in the break water. so be careful.

P.S let your tyres down 20psi

good luck cu

tude08
18-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the advice grey_inflatable. Took the fourby for a run up there this morning just to suss the place out. Seems as if its going to have to be a low tide mission up from Noosa as there sure isn't much beach left!

Went accross to the lagoon on the Leisha track and it definitly seems makeable with the boat in tow. The entrance to the track could prove to be interesting...
Once on the lagoon side turning left towards rainbow, getting very far along the beach was impossible as there was heaps of tree debris on the beach.

Where exactly does everyone launch from the lagoon? (In relation to the entrace of the Leisha track) Do i need to be worried about sand banks around the area heading out on a low tide?

grey_inflatable
18-06-2009, 09:58 PM
i normally go as far right as possible just look for a deep spot with no waves good luck