PDA

View Full Version : Tempest....Drop and hold on 14th June

No Fear
14-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Stayed Saturday night inside Bulwer and went to Tempest for only the second time having regularly fished more northern waters....

Arrived on the spot around 5am but had trouble anchoring on a good show in 270 foot....drifted over a few times and then finally put a sand anchor at the top of the chain and it held on....right on top of the spot....

Fished the day bringing on some nice pearlies biggest around 56cm and numerous legal squire around 40cm.....only kept a few and sent the rest back to grow some more......

Had some massive runs and landed a samson and a couple of larger kingies.....the biggest though lost the battle with Mr Jaws and would have gone around 15-17kg....put up a good fight for 10 mins but someone ate him before i did.......let the other kingy go to once again terrorise downstairs...

Left them biting around 1pm....there was a fair bit of current which made anchoring hard on the spot especially in that depth.....

Great day and got to see the whales as well.... even better for a first trip...gotta love the new lowrance HDS sounders.....

twotins
14-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice feed mate, looks like the grey suits got their share. Just invested in a hds myself and cant believe how good they are, stoked, Tight lines

Benno1
14-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Great conditions there mate!!!...decent feed by the way what bait did you guys use???...how do you cook your kingies???...cheers for the piccies and report :)

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

bdaearth
14-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Some nice pearlies there mate good to see some good fish coming out of tempest

wags on the water
14-06-2009, 09:56 PM
Great report NF. Thanks for your pics too.

Cheers,
Wags

skipalong
15-06-2009, 06:29 AM
top conditon for it with great results

justin

No Fear
15-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks guys.....Used both bait and plastics for the day but the plastics were a little difficult to use due to the current and only accounted for a couple of the smaller pearlies
Twotins - you'rr right about the HDS sounders, fantastic shows and only been used on 2 trips for 2 fantastic results, I recommend to anyone - I will definately get a pic of some of the shows next trip to show everyone and the clarity in 300 foot of water. There is still a fair bit I need to learn though!!
Benno1 - used strips of mac tuna, IQF pilchards and fresh edible squid - whole whiting frames were gobbled up by the big pearlies which was a first for me - the shows were thick all day and they were eating anything - even bought up a few undersized pearlies who scales had been striped and they looked like they were glad to get out of there!!!!Released the larger kingies to test someone elses gear and only kept the smaller one.We prefer to fillet and beer batter or crumb and shallow fry in oil as it feeds the whole crew. Also, the skin goes a little tough when cooking whole and I prefer not to freeze them as they taste 20times better if they are eaten within 24 hours - the fillets are waiting to be destroyed in the fridge tonight!!! I couldn't lift my arms last night to cook!!!

jarhead
15-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice mixed bag, cheers for the pics and read.

Wal

business class
15-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Nice to see your holding the fish out to make her look bigger;) love the photography;D . Nice fish never the less. well done

Fishing_Freddy
15-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Great looking catch, petty the tax man got your fish it would of been a cracker.
Well done
Ken:beer:

No Fear
15-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Business class is all over it.......it wasn't that I wanted to make the fish looking bigger, I just wanted to keep my deckies head as far away from the camera as possible...hahahaha.....there was no way he could make them look as big as my kingies anyway!!!

bondy99
21-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Nice Kingies and pearlies guys. Mate, I'd love to come out with you one day, I'll contribute towards fuel and bait. I've used jiggers for Kingies and they do work but also hard work jigging at those depths.

Cheers, Peter

bert
22-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi no fear which model hds did you get and what price did you pick it up for.

Regards Rob