PDA

View Full Version : 25hp Johnson 4 stroke

410 Safari
14-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Hi all

I have a brooker 410 Safari with a 25hp 4 stroke Johnson on the rear, the motor provides ample power for my needs but is loud and seems to vibrate significantly. At idle the motor is quiet and as you would imagine calm. However under 3/4 throttle is extremely different. This is my first four stroke and have been informed by a reputable dealer (who tested the motor under load) that this is normal and there is nothing wrong.

Initially the motor was mounted too low and needed some adjustments and now seems to be going great.

I cant help but think its just not right.

Anyway if anyone has the same motor and is experiencing the same or different it would be great to hear from you.

Cheers

Noelm
15-06-2009, 08:39 AM
hhmm 4 stroke too loud?? now I have often said that at cruise and above they all sound about the same, but it should not be loud or vibrate at any RPM/speed, I would be taking it back to the dealer and getting it rechecked (as long as all this is not some sort of 4 stroke "bait")

410 Safari
20-06-2009, 12:43 PM
yeah that was my impression aswell, the dealer has re checked and reckons its fine but it just doesnt feel right. Might try a different dealer........ thanks for your reply.

410 Safari

foxx510
20-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Can you describe the vibration? Is it a slow vibration like a car steering wheel with out of balance wheels or more of a buzzing vibration?

cormorant
20-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Bent shaft , bent prop?

410 Safari
23-06-2009, 12:01 PM
The vibration is pretty loud and quick if that makes sense, also motor sounds loud almost like an electric air pump if that makes sense.
To put it bluntly i had a 25 hp envenrude 1976 model prior to this motor and it ran smoother than my new 4 stroke.....a little concerning.

In regards to bent shaft or prop, i dont think so but happy to explore those options, other than looking at them which i have done and there does not seem to be any abnormallity is that another way to check??

Thanks guys really appreciate the assistance, i all new to the boating arena......

Blaster Bretty
23-06-2009, 12:19 PM
sometimes you can get a dud, it doe's happen, everyone else will get the good ones but the one you get is a dud, not put together properly or something silly like that!
Try and track down another fisho who has one and tell them about your's or even get a ride in there boat so you can see the difference but so far ,to me anyway, sounds like your motor may be the bad apple in the bunch! theres no way in the world that your new donk should be louder and rougher than a 76 eveinrude!!

Bretty

410 Safari
23-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks Blaster, I think your right.

I need to get a marine mechanic out in the boat on the water testing it with me. The last shop i took it too tested it in a tank under load. Well atleast so they so.

Time will tell.

Thanks for your advice I just hope i dont have that 'lemon' lol.

Cheers
410 Safari

honda900
23-06-2009, 05:15 PM
410 Safari,

Dont forget most new mobile phones / cameras have the ablity to record movies in them.. ;) record and playback.

regards
Honda.

410 Safari
24-06-2009, 10:39 AM
I cant believe I didnt think of that! lol the answer is always right infront of you isnt it!

Thanks Honda, your a bloody legend!

Cheers
410 Safari