PDA

View Full Version : Removing Stubborn stain on Trailer Wheel Rim

Splash
14-06-2009, 09:48 AM
What to use to remove stains from wheel rims?

this wheel (along with rig and trailer) was stored in an apartment garage with a constant drip right next (and then splashed onto wheel) to wheel of god knows what from a leaky pipe from above.

It looked like a service pipe and the fluid was whitish colour..

Byte

Splash
14-06-2009, 03:26 PM
thoughts?

Splash

trueblue
14-06-2009, 04:01 PM
what kind of wheel?

gal, paint?

photo?

Splash
14-06-2009, 04:26 PM
holden wheel rim, non painted. i will try a photo..

Roughasguts
14-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi Splash mate stick some gal paint on it to stop it rusting then put a plastic wheel cover on it for looks.

Splash
14-06-2009, 05:24 PM
here is photo..

Splash

White Pointer
14-06-2009, 06:23 PM
G'day,

Probably sewerage - Oh pew!

Squeeze a whole lemon, add two tablespoons of salt, a cup full of boiling water and scrub like hell with a stiff brush.

We are having fun!

Regards,

White Pointer

Splash
14-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Splash mate stick some gal paint on it to stop it rusting then put a plastic wheel cover on it for looks.

Recommended plastic wheel cover brands that do not pop off?

SPlash

ozbee
14-06-2009, 07:07 PM
i would try the product drifter used for cleaning rust stains on fibreglass hulls would do the job.

Splash
14-06-2009, 07:13 PM
thanks WP and Ozbee and Rguts.

WIll try those products/lemons/plastic, etc..

SPlash

fez
14-06-2009, 08:41 PM
What about one of the mag wheel cleaners from supercheap or repco etc. Be prepared for some scrubbing though.

Has the drip effected the tyre wall? If it had that much impact on the wheel, I would be checking the tyre for any weak spots. Is this the tyre that you towed the bat on to Adelaide recently?

fez

White Pointer
14-06-2009, 08:49 PM
What about one of the mag wheel cleaners from supercheap or repco etc. Be prepared for some scrubbing though.

Has the drip effected the tyre wall? If it had that much impact on the wheel, I would be checking the tyre for any weak spots. Is this the tyre that you towed the bat on to Adelaide recently?

fez

G'day.

The active ingredient in mag wheel cleaners is oxalic acid. It comes from onions and it makes you cry. It also etches painted surfaces.

I suggest lemon juice (citric acid) and salt (chlorine). Add a bit of elbow grease and if that doesn't clean it, it's timefor a repaint.

Regards,

White Pointer

Splash
14-06-2009, 09:09 PM

fez

I have checked the tyre for weak spots - none that i could see fortunately.

The boat/trailer was trucked back so this trailer/wheel set did not see the harsh 4000km trip thankfully. :-)

Splash

Roughasguts
15-06-2009, 12:30 PM
here is photo..

Splash

Splash there the same as my rims on me boat trailer, there hot dipped gal rims.

Anyway I wire brushed mine clean! then go to Mitre 10 and get some Duragal in a white spray can, and then paint them white! they look good after that.

The can of spray is about 14 bucks and lasts on there years.

Splash
15-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Thansk Guts.

Will do that.

Splash