PDA

View Full Version : Tough Day at Tempest !

rakinray
14-06-2009, 08:57 AM
G/ day all not to much to report, Me,Mike(Sandman), and Webby with a few other boats tagging along crossed the South Passage around 6.30am Sat. Almost went into the shallows due to the calm seas (hard to see where the channel was !) Hit the bait grounds and found them stacked almost 10mts high with fat slimies and plenty of yakkas. ;D At this stage we realised that the breeze was was way more than the predicted Variable winds with a stiff 15+ S/Wester blowin but we just kept thinking that it will drop out soon enough ! By the time we got to Tempest it was Shitty to say the least :'( Current was strong but workable with some lumps of lead. First few drifts for Zip and with the radio reports saying everybody was struggling to find some fish, things looked grim :-/ We decided to move a couple klms and things got a little better with the odd better snapper fiding its way into the bin. We must of caught 30 just under sized Squire thru the day (good sign). Webby then lands about a 4 kilo Bonito, :o and we get our arms pulled from the local men in grey suits wanting our fish more than us. Managed to put half a dozen Squirey/Snapps on ice and called it a day around 1.30pm with the conditions starting to glass out >:( (see pics). Had a few hours on the roadside going home due to one of the wheels on Mikes trailer giving up :( All in all a tough day but happy to get a feed.

CHEERS RAY :D

Dean1
14-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Mate good to see you still managed to put a feed in the esky. The big fellas shouldnt be too far away.

Youv had your fishing 'fix' for the week anyway ;D Cheers Deano.

-spiro-
14-06-2009, 09:40 AM
Ray those sea's look hard to take

revs57
14-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks Ray,

we hit the 35's Friday - didn't see a Snap, got our quota on kings - not hard with a limit of two each now.

sounds like the SWesters have finally given up - very nasty once you get outside the lee of land

cheers

Rhys

bdaearth
14-06-2009, 10:29 AM
good to see some snaps coming over the side !!! the cold weather is starting to bring them in.

rakinray
14-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas hope your right Deano ! Spiro it was like two different days the morning was a shocker and as you can see with the pics the arvo was a cracker. Hey Rhys i was thinking about heading to the 35s with all the reports of big pearlies around but decided to see if the snapps would be around instead, plenty of small stuff which is unuasual out there as we tend to get the 3 to 5 kilo fish more often than not. Will have to catch up for a fish mate !

CHEERS RAY.

skipalong
14-06-2009, 12:51 PM
a nice feed there

chris_s
14-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I had a pretty much similar story, started off at Shallow then moved to Deep with either just legal or just under squire coming over the side, mixed in with pearlies and tuskies on the drift.
Decided to head north and east of hutchies in great conditions arriving at the same spot and time as Liberty but from two different directions, couple of drifts and a few more pearlies.
What a fantastic arvo.

Sandman
14-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Webby ,Ray,
Thanks again for the roadside assistance , got a few things to do this week! Ray had a look dont know what gone wrong with those marks mate but it seems they are lost for good :( will catch up with you in regards to reloading the marks .
mick

no_worries
14-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi rakinray we were undecided where to go sat morning and chose wide cal instead of tempest and sounds like we lucked on the right choice.
Current was good and not too much sw wind and panned out to a glass day and we caught cobia ,pearlys to 3.5kgs,ambos,snapper to 4ks, piggies and tuskies and a couple of greysuits,cheers no worries

Horse
14-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a bit of work for the feed but at least you got out and scored a few. Those bigger Snapps can't be too far off now

Duckfish
15-06-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi rakinray,
Was out there on Sat and the same story. Were you in the Aussie Whaler boat? We also caught heaps of small squires and a few Grey suits,
Duck

bugman
15-06-2009, 06:51 PM
Michael,

What went wrong with the trailer buddy?

rakinray
15-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey No Worries sounds like you did choose the better option but thats fishing for you ! Yes Duckfish that was us, what were you in ? Couldnt believe the xxit conditions all morning then the total glass out as we headed for home ! :'( Hope your right Neil ;) . Hey buggy long time mate hope things are good with you. The trailer dropped a bearing on one wheel as we left the ramp, lucky between me,Webby, and Mike we had enough tools and parts to get it back on the road.

CHEERS RAY.

Duckfish
15-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Ray,
We were in a white Haines Hunter 565L with red stripes, burgundy bimini with rod holders. Yeh it was blowing in the morning till about 11am but the fish weren't cooperating. Noticed the moon was facing down which they tell me means little fish (so they say )

Duck

PinHead
16-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Ray..what are those fish in the pics..I have never caught one of those.

Sandman
18-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Your kidding arent you pinhead :)

PinHead
18-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Your kidding arent you pinhead :)

nope..not kidding at all.

TimiBoy
18-06-2009, 01:15 PM
nope..not kidding at all.

Sandman, Pinhead has a reputation to maintain. He is the world expert at catching Grinner and Catfish, but couldn't buy a bite from anything you and I value.

;D;D;D

Cheers,

Tim

Sandman
24-06-2009, 09:19 AM
You should tag along pinhead we rarely catch them aswell :) Both Webby and Ray catch the larger toothy grinners
Mick

PinHead
24-06-2009, 09:05 PM
webby taught me how to catch grinners...he did a good job