PDA

View Full Version : To All Concerned

webby
13-06-2009, 06:49 PM
With all the predators/blood hounds etc coming out of the closet on this, I though it was time to explain what really happened.
I was going to wait for the apology in BnB to come out, but this will be more explicative ?? this what will come out in BnB.
1. Due to computer problems over the past few months (finally had mother board and computer rebuilt) and no internet connections as i am on satellite where i live, I gave a written report and a back up disk of my photos to a close friend off this site.
2. He offered to type the report up, plus send the nominated photos off the disc.
3. My first mistake was not checking or proof reading what he had sent.
4. It wasn't until the mag was received in the mail, did I fall over when i saw what he had done.
5. I initially queried him on the photo, he quoted (it looked more impressive then the one i was original sending in).
6. I asked where the photo had come from, he quoted (off some website), i said if anyone identifies it i am in the shit big time. (what can you do when the mag was already on the streets).
7. Ben rang me some weeks later saying he had had a complaint about the photo, saying it came off a website which he gave me and the names of the people concerned.
8. What was said between Ben and Myself is of no concern to anyone.
9. I stated i would write a apology in BnB, directed toward the person who took the original photo, also stating that it was my fault the photo went to print.
10. Have made the apology short, instead of all this which is written here.
11. Doesnt matter even what i've written here, i was still my fault for not checking.
12. BnB had nothing to do with it, and had not idea the photo had been doctored.
13. i will not come forth with the person iniating all this drama, as its between me and him and not for everyone to become blood suckers again.
14. Yes the blood hounds will have fun with this post, but i have broad shoulders.
15. At no time in my 8 years with BnB or presentations at boat show, or the years served on Fisheries Management Committies have i tried to deceive anyone as to my knowledge.
16. I am not a computer wiz and have limited knowledge on the photoshop programs, yes some of my pictures have been touched up by photo shop, but they were done by my daughter.
17. I have also resigned from writing any further articicle for BnB, as even though i was not to blame, my name has still be tainted.
18. Would also like to thanks those on here and elsewhere for sticking by me and awaiting the truth.
I feel there is no more to say on the matter, a close friend is now on the outer, and my name is now mud.
Below is the picture which should have appeared.
regards

mod5
13-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Well presented Brian.

Thanks mate.

Tailortaker
13-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Well done Mate, but I think that you SHOULD keep writing for BnB. I enjoy your articles. This was a stuff up that was not your fault even if you think it was. Please keep writing.
Cheers TT

wags on the water
13-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Webby,

It's a shame that really close friends can find themselves really close enemies because they are just 'trying to help out'.
I have appreciated your articles in bnb and will miss your reports. You have taught me a great deal. Thanks.

Cheers,
Wags

charleville
13-06-2009, 07:10 PM
17. I have also resigned from writing any further articicle for BnB, as even though i was not to blame, my name has still be tainted.

Brian;

You are one of the most genuine and generous people who I have met. I would be extremely sorry to see you cease writing for B'n'B.

The truth is that I always turn to your article first when I get my B'n'B delivered and then I turn to Chief's article (which I have told him). After that the rest of the magazine is less interesting - often not even read these days except for any sale advertisements. So much so that I might not re-subscribe if the rest of the content does not get less repetitive and if it does not become more interesting. I ceased subscribing to QFM similarly because every September issue is basically the same as every other September issue and ditto for every other month.

What you have brought to the B'n'B magazine and all of those presentations that you have given is a freshness of information and approach that never seems like it is just someone going through the motions in writing an article every month like some tired old journalist.

That you are so generous with slide packs, GPS points, and lots of other information puts you well above most others in the "trade".

So someone goofed with a picture. So what???!!!! I once thought that I had made a mistake also but then I discovered that I only thought that I had. :-/

You have a big fan club. Please keep writing those articles. :)

I am not sure about your name being "mud" albeit for a long time, it was synonymous with "Mud".......... Island that is. ;D

You are too good at sharing information in your articles and presentations to let this little issue stop you.

(Please!)

Chimo
13-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Fair enough Brian.

Don't beat yourself up, its easy to get caught out even by "helpful" people and its happened to many of us.

Carry on.

Cheers
Chimo

whatscracken
13-06-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm with Charleville on this one mate, your article is the main reason I have a Bush n Beach subscription and always enjoy reading all the expierence and information your openly share. IMO this hasn't tainted your image one bit, if anything its good to see someone so open about something like that. Hope you have a re-think about writing for Bush n Beach.

ffejsmada
13-06-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry to say, but I disagree whatscracken.
Webbys credibility has been damaged badly by this, whether it's his fault or not.
You don't get someone to type your article up, full stop.
Some friend I say, thought he was doing no harm but how wrong was he??

I think Webby has no choice at this stage but to stop contributing to BnB and I think he's made the right decision to do so.

Webby himself says his name has been tainted and unfortunately, I tend to agree with him.

Thanks Webby for having the balls to tell your side of the story.

Jeff.

Apollo
13-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Fair explanation - no need for anything else. Please reconsider the retirement for the same reasons as the others said.

Steve

Seahorse
13-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Whatcracken.
iam with u.
ffejsmada.
your kidding mate.
hey brian, i have known u for long time.
mate i can tell u that there will always be shitload of support for u from here and all people who read ur articles.
i cant believe someone on this site has said that u have made the right decision.
that is aboslutley total buls....t.
i never miss reading ur articles each month.
if u give this away mate, then u will be doing a misjustice to a hell of a lot of people.
think about the majority not the minority mate.
just hope common sense prevails.

cheers brian

greg

finga
13-06-2009, 08:31 PM
my name is now mud.
regards
Your name is still Webby to me matey...not mud.

I really don't know what to say...I'm a bit gob smacked about now which is pretty rare. :-/
But for God's sake please keep writing.
Everyone is allowed one mistake in their life.

fisher28
13-06-2009, 08:35 PM
gday,sorry to hear about your troubles webby.all i can say is that i was happy with your article on me and thought it was very accurate and good reading.but it is hard to keep everyone happy.all the best and hope everything works out for you.:(

straddie
13-06-2009, 08:35 PM
What? you think a bloody appology makes up for it?

The punishment should fit the crime.

You should have to fish the river to mud with plastics, that'll teach ya!

Honestly if it happened as you explained you should hang in there. At least see what the reaction is to the appology then take it from there after the feedback. I know most people only think of themselves these days but it used to be we aussies gave people a fair go. One stuff up, it's not like you are serial offender like yibbidy yibbada or warney that deserve to be hung out to dry.

tigermullet
13-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Shit happens, Webby.

It's not worth resigning and denying followers a good read over a minor cock up. Any reasonable person would see it as such.

No doubting your integrity, that's for sure! Hang in there.

Chris Ryan
13-06-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Brian, I applaud the effort it takes to accept the failures of others as your own. I haven't know you long, nor to the depth as some others but what I know is your words written here ring true.

Don't stop writing; even if it is for us mere fishing mortals here.

Cheers,
Chris

rando
13-06-2009, 09:57 PM
Webby
I only buy BnB to read your article.
I can say honestly that the information I have gained from reading your column makes up the greater part of my understanding of the art.
I will add my voice to those requesting that you reconsider your decision to quit writing.
If however you feel that quitting is your only option,then let me express my unreserved thanks for the wealth of information you have imparted.

Very best regards
Rob Anderson
rando

DR
13-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Webby, an explanation should be enough, you should not resign, your mate is a knobhead & he should be the one writing the apology in B&B & it should be attached to your explanation. Don't give it up mate, too much good info will be lost to the faithful..

tunaticer
13-06-2009, 10:14 PM
It is your call to resign Brian, you know the truth about it all and you are the one that was left with the damage. I respect your decision which ever way you go on this matter. You have taught a great many people in Qld and Australia a lot of things about fishing with your scribes and can take pride in that knowledge. I admit i do not ever buy mags to read and have never read a single story you wrote, however the call on this site and others for your work states it is above the rest. A good career was had i believe.

Lovey80
14-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Don't do it Webby!!!!!

Hang on now that I think about it if your retiring from the writing game that will leave you pleanty of time to give me some one on one Mulloway tuition...... thats me just being selfish.

At least give it a few weeks before making a hard decision mate.

Cheers

Chris

Mad-One
14-06-2009, 06:37 AM
Geez you made a mistake ....Haven't we all made one or 2 don't let that one mistake stop you from doing what you love doing. So many people will be worse off if you retire. You have made a fair apology and you are bigger man for doing so.
Please reconsider for the benefit of all your followers
all the best in what ever you decide

Cheers Phil

Lovey80
14-06-2009, 07:16 AM
I would like to add one more thing, I firmly believe in the following and find it is almost indisputable.

INTEGRITY IS ONE OF THE FEW THINGS IN LIFE THAT CAN NOT BE TAKEN AWAY FROM SOMEONE, IT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN AWAY BY ONESELF.

As a manager and a basic human being, I always make my decisions on others mistakes based on one thing....... INTENT.

I you had of intentionally gone out to decieve people with your actions then I and most of the people that have replied to this thread would have thrust that sword for you. The fact that you made a human mistake IS forgivable and a lesson im sure you have learned the hard way. No amount of support would have been given had it been obvious you had INTENDED to do the wrong. Make that mistake twice though and people aren't as forgiving.

Take a break, get some fishin done, and pick up that pen again mate. Your credibility certainly still stands. Your only doing your readers a disjustice by giving away your trade of making us better anglers.

Cheers

Chris

Crestcutter
14-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Webby

I only buy BnB to read your article. Your reputation hasn't been tarnished in my eyes mate. Your a legend that is always helping out where you can in the fishing world. I'm suprised an old git like you even knows how too turn a computer on let alone use one lol.

Soldier on mate , i couldn't careless what anyone thinks of ya, i wont be deleting your number out of my phone .

Darryl.

finga
14-06-2009, 08:56 AM
What? you think a bloody appology makes up for it?

The punishment should fit the crime.

You should have to fish the river to mud with plastics, that'll teach ya!

Honestly if it happened as you explained you should hang in there. At least see what the reaction is to the appology then take it from there after the feedback. I know most people only think of themselves these days but it used to be we aussies gave people a fair go. One stuff up, it's not like you are serial offender like yibbidy yibbada or warney that deserve to be hung out to dry.
And they still won't beat the stinky boys...even when the stinky boys appear to be handicapped out of the race by the sin binning of Webby.

Gees will the plastic fantastics stop at nothing to try to win?? ::)

jrf1973
14-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Seems like a mistake has been made by a mate trying to help.

I understand the grief it would have caused, but relly enjoy your articles and hope you don't stop writting them.

hooknose
14-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Dont beat yourself up mate, just choose your mates more carefully, you have always helped people out to the max and I support you in whatever you choose to do, tight lines !!

gawby
14-06-2009, 02:00 PM
Webby,
The only mistake you made was getting someone else to do your shit for you, as the saying goes, if you want something done properly do it yourself.
We have all made mistakes in life and yours is only a minor one which i think does nothing to tarnish your credibility or good name heard on the fishing lines.
Kick your mate in the arse and get on with it.
All the best
Gawby

subzero
14-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Dont knock yourself out Webby, plain and simple you are the most straight down the line bloke I have ever met. I can understand your mate switching photo's though, we can see your ugly dial in the pic..... put pen to paper and write an article on fisherman with integrity..... is it a biography when you write it first person?

Proud to call you a mate!!!!

dogsbody
14-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Give yourself an uppercut Webby for getting a hand from a "mate" In which you've done.

Then give him one. In which I hope you've done

Then continue to share your knowledge to others. In which I hope you will.

Dave

whynott
14-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Webby,
As you can see, you have a lot of supporters.
Like everyone else who has posted a comment, I will miss your articles also.
Thanks for all the valuable info that you have passed onto everyone over the years.
Don't let the turkeys get you down.....
Graham.

ozbee
14-06-2009, 06:55 PM
and dont destroy a friendship as he knew no better. whats today's news is old tomorrow, and those that hang around to complain have to much spare time on there hands. yes a mistake was made and you had the guts to correct it a rare thing these days so all i can say is your more respected than before so keep writing

bigtez
14-06-2009, 07:13 PM
So when will we see the launch of www.brianwebbfishing.com.au:P

*inserts tongue into cheek*

As an advertiser it would have been nice if the apology/explaination was first seen in BnB. The extra attention could have only been good fur us ;D

*tongue removed from cheek*

Good luck with whatever you decide to do in the future. Clearly you will be missed from the pages of BnB.

Terry

Lucky_Phill
14-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks Brian for taking the time to post up an explanation here.

You didn't have to, but I am glad you did.

This post puts to bed the accusations and assumptions by certain members here.

I understand what ffejsmada ( Jeff ) is saying, but IMO< if Brian was fulltime journo, certainly this mistake is not acceptable.

Brian , being a recreational angler who writes stories for a Local fishing magazine is NOT a professional in that sense and therefore should be afforded some degree of leniency in regard to any ' misdemeanor ' that might pop up.

Obviously a lesson has been learnt and unfortunately friendships have been lost. At this stage it also appears a well respected contributor to a local fishing magazine will not continue in that role.

There has been a great amount of support for Brian here. To really show your support, you need to direct it to those concerned.

Ben Collins

Editor........... Bush'n'Beach

bnbmedia@bigpond.net.au

ph. 07 3286 1833

Regards

Phill

yellowbeard
15-06-2009, 05:42 AM

Jeff.

In publishing a writer contributes his/her article to the editor complete with pictures. If the magazine has the budget all articles submitted are sent to the sub-editor, who will often create a fancy headline, correct grammar and spelling mistakes, re-work certain sections of the article and sometimes re-write the entire article. If no sub-editor is employed it's the editor that subs up the articles. Proof readers are almost non-existent in budget mags these days and it's not standard to proof-read your own articles as it's difficult to pick up your own mistakes, so it's up to the sub-editor or the editor. But articles are never resubmitted to the original writer for approval.
Ultimately the editor is responsible for what goes to press. If there's a mistake from the writer that goes to press the editor will let you know and if it's a biggy you get fired. But resign? Jesus, journalists are the most unethical, mendacious breed alive -- they don't resign on ethical or moral grounds. Christ you'll have the bloody Australian Journalists Association all over you!
In my experience the pictures that the writer sends are often not up to scratch or of a low resolution and the editor has to shop around for stock images -- Getty Images gets a real work-out from most magazines -- as does Fairfaxphotos.
The most annoying substitution of pics, which regularly occurs, comes from the designers (these are the Quark Express/In Design people) who think the articles belong to them and regularly change the pics that the writer has submitted. If the editor doesn't pick it up they can make a writer (and the mag) look pretty silly.
A lot of what you see in major magazines are stock images.
However it's not too clever to pull a pic off the Internet, especially when it's supposed to be specific to a particular event. But I've seen worse -- and without the apology or the resignation.

Heath
15-06-2009, 09:15 AM

Jeff.

May come as a surprise, but I think you will find that there are several regular contributers of magazines that are technologically challenged when it comes to PC's and using them.
So they get a mate, wife, son , daughter... whatever to type it up, attach to an email and send it off.

Seems in this case the person helping Webby has went a little too far....
If he was a good mate & still wishes to be so, then I reckon he should have put his hand up when this first come to light...

TimiBoy
15-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Webby,

Pulling the pin is a fine demonstration of your integrity, and I don't doubt you or your decision for a second. The Fishing Public will be diminished due to your departure.

But even if you think you will damage the magazine, yourself, or something else by staying, I believe you will do more damage by leaving.

Someone suggested instead of leaving, you write a spot about integrity, and you explain enough to shut the wolves up. Then you stay, and keep doing the job you do so well.

Learn from the mistake, and stay in the game, otherwise only the wolves win, and I know for a fact that they are all pricks, and don't deserve the victory.

Cheers and all the best for the future,

Tim

PinHead
15-06-2009, 12:03 PM
the simple thing , Brian, is do what suits you best and no one else...your true mates will still be there regardless.

Argle
15-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I can only add my sentiment to that of others already before in saying please dont quit BnB Brian, any reasonable person can see that this was an error not of your direct doing and that an admission was made and apology given. This is enough for me and Im sure for the majority of people who know you and for many that do not and only read and learn from your insights in the pages of BnB.
I hope that Ben Collins refuses your resignation.

Cheers
Scott

GBC
15-06-2009, 01:14 PM
Reading between the lines it would appear there may be a little duress involved in Webby's departure?

Ben, I don't know you but I'm sure you'll see these posts, and I'd ask you to ask yourself - 'what would the old man have done?' - a question you would have doubtless asked yourself a thousand times.

'Cause I knew him, and it's starting to look unfortunate for a bloke who only had the best of intentions.

That's my bit anyway.

Hope it blows away into nothingness and life goes on regardless for the two primaries involved.

castlemaine
15-06-2009, 02:01 PM
I hope that Ben Collins refuses your resignation.

Cheers
Scott

What more can I say than the others, you've helped make me a better fisher. Cheers8-)

death_ship
15-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Who needs the dramas Webby?
just go fishing

bugman
15-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Yellowbeard,
I'm afraid the old AJA hasn't existed for quite some time now - we all play with the jugglers and professional footballers in the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance now MEAA :o

Brian - do what makes you feel the most comfortable. There are plenty of other fish and plenty of other magazines to write for if you so decide.

I've written under a few pseudonyms in the past - you won't be the last if you take up the pen under another scribblers hat.

Brett

BR65
15-06-2009, 09:12 PM
With all the predators/blood hounds etc coming out of the closet on this, I though it was time to explain what really happened.
I was going to wait for the apology in BnB to come out, but this will be more explicative ?? this what will come out in BnB.
1. Due to computer problems over the past few months (finally had mother board and computer rebuilt) and no internet connections as i am on satellite where i live, I gave a written report and a back up disk of my photos to a close friend off this site.
2. He offered to type the report up, plus send the nominated photos off the disc.
3. My first mistake was not checking or proof reading what he had sent.
4. It wasn't until the mag was received in the mail, did I fall over when i saw what he had done.
5. I initially queried him on the photo, he quoted (it looked more impressive then the one i was original sending in).
6. I asked where the photo had come from, he quoted (off some website), i said if anyone identifies it i am in the shit big time. (what can you do when the mag was already on the streets).
7. Ben rang me some weeks later saying he had had a complaint about the photo, saying it came off a website which he gave me and the names of the people concerned.
8. What was said between Ben and Myself is of no concern to anyone.
9. I stated i would write a apology in BnB, directed toward the person who took the original photo, also stating that it was my fault the photo went to print.
10. Have made the apology short, instead of all this which is written here.
11. Doesnt matter even what i've written here, i was still my fault for not checking.
12. BnB had nothing to do with it, and had not idea the photo had been doctored.
13. i will not come forth with the person iniating all this drama, as its between me and him and not for everyone to become blood suckers again.
14. Yes the blood hounds will have fun with this post, but i have broad shoulders.
15. At no time in my 8 years with BnB or presentations at boat show, or the years served on Fisheries Management Committies have i tried to deceive anyone as to my knowledge.
16. I am not a computer wiz and have limited knowledge on the photoshop programs, yes some of my pictures have been touched up by photo shop, but they were done by my daughter.
18. Would also like to thanks those on here and elsewhere for sticking by me and awaiting the truth.
I feel there is no more to say on the matter, a close friend is now on the outer, and my name is now mud.
Below is the picture which should have appeared.
regards

Webby, thank you for taking the time, and having the gumption, to belatedly air your side of the story.
Is your "mate" who altered the photo going to put his hand up, I doubt it based on what has happened so far.
Perhaps you mite have been better off following your instincts as per dot point 6, as it appeared to take a couple of weeks for the altered photo to be complained about, as per your dot point 7. Hind sight is a wonderfull thing though, and only you and your "mate" could answer that.
The thing that intrigues me though is, was it possible for you to contact the angler who actually caught that fish in those intervening "couple of weeks" to tell him that you had no knowledge of the altered picture going to print?
Could you have jumped on the net, such a wide spread tool for communication for fishos, especially sites like this, and others that are specific to SE Qld, and created some distance between the altered photo, and your lack of knowledge of its publication?
Could you have contacted one of the many people who have voiced their loyalty, and asked them to air your grievence re the altered picture?
For any one un-sure, I originally voiced the opinion in a differant thread that I believe that putting some ones face on to some one elses fish photo, with out advising the reader of the modification, stinks, and I stand by that statement.
Webby, Im sure you are a nice bloke, more than competant angler, willing to share hard earned knowledge, a little computer illiterate, but it appears one former friend has no idea of what constitutes integrity. So many people trust what they read, and pictures are a big part of what they read. That is un-fortunate.
I dont expect you to reply, you have said your bit, as have I said mine, but I'm sure there is others who would like to reply to what I have written.
But before you do, ask your self this, regardless of what a nice bloke Webby is, and how he didnt know what was happening,is it acceptable to alter a picture this way, cause thats what Ive got issues with.

-spiro-
15-06-2009, 09:22 PM
for some reason i cannot get that link to work....?

Tangles
16-06-2009, 12:17 AM
mistake has been made out, you all got the facts/explanation from the horses mouth, Webby fell on his sword and clearly no doubt that will not good enough for some here like BR65.

frankly i dont care about all this, ill happily share a beer with Webby and dont need to critique his explanation... bloody storm in a tea cup,

trust BR65 your house is in total 100% order, and no one farts without informing you first. Hope your satisfied and happy but clearly Webby resigning after all these years aint enough is it?? Wish I lived in a glass house. BR65 I can watch news reporters every morning and get your mentality every morning.

Lovey80
16-06-2009, 12:50 AM
But before you do, ask your self this, regardless of what a nice bloke Webby is, and how he didnt know what was happening,is it acceptable to alter a picture this way, cause thats what Ive got issues with.

I think thats the point BR65, no one with an ounce of integrity has to ask them selves if it acceptable or not.... of course it isn't. Webby didn't alter it, im sure in all those years if he was that sort of bloke this would have surfaced well before now. So you have issues with photo's being altered? Well as it seems so does Brian, hence why he has just made such an embarrassing admition, especially for such a proud man.

Well Brian I guess you have made up your mind and no amount of support will change it. It's times like this that one thinks just having a tiny bit less integrity would go a long way for the greater good.

Cheers

Chris

Apollo
16-06-2009, 08:22 AM
....., ask your self this, regardless of what a nice bloke Webby is, and how he didnt know what was happening,is it acceptable to alter a picture this way, cause thats what Ive got issues with.

Brian, I agree with you that it is not acceptable to alter a picture like this. It should not be condonned by the media, readers or us.

I don't know Webby, never met him or am able to make comment about whether he is a good guy or not. Read and enjoyed his articles, though.

From my point of view, there has been a misrepresentation made and this is disrespectful to the readers and the original catcher. Webby (using Webby instead of Brian as it will get me confused with too many) has given his account of what has happened and it looks like he is embarrassed (as he should be) by the damage to his reputation and integrity. I am happy to accept his admission as I am sure he will never make this mistake again (nor will BnB), but I will be buggered if I will crucify anybody for making a stuff up, especially if they have the goolies to step up and make the admission here.

I would apply the same to you or anyone else here.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. It would have made my life easier if I knew then what I know now.

Mind you, with a head like mine, I could understand someone wanting to swap it out for a photo;)

Take it easy
Steve

mono
16-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Hey Brian, now that you have some spare time get your fat-ass down here! I need some help with these snapper. You know you are always welcome onboard 'Windarra'.

Cheers mate,
Capt Mark 'Mono' Stewart

finding_time
16-06-2009, 10:58 AM
As others have said Brian, do what ever you feel comfortable with mate, your artical will be missed in B'n'B though!

Ian

Ps. Buggy assured me that you were no where near smart enough to doctor any photo, so it must have been someone elses stuff up ,seems he was right!;) :P ;D

BrandonH
16-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I feel sorry for you Webby:'( Never read your BnB articles but did go to one of your presentations at the Brisbane game fishing clubhouse one night. Really enjoyed the presentation and picked you as a proud down to earth bloke who loves sharing information. I agree with 90% of the posts here mate, its a huge shame a good mate did something like that to you, and hasn't got the balls to apologize for the mistake like you have. Yes it still comes down to you making the mistake of not checking what was sent through. As others have said, us Ausfishers know your computer skills and know you would never be able to do a photoshop job like that!!! lol.

It appears you have a lot of support on here, I am sure you will get the same from most of your readers in BnB also. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

cheers
Brandon...

PinHead
16-06-2009, 03:37 PM

how can you have issues with a picture..it is just a picture..not some cure for a disease or the winning lotto numbers..just a simple bloody picture...not worth worrying about.

coucho
16-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Congrats to you Webby I wouldn't write for the ungreatful mongrels either!! Your probably responsible for half the fish that end up on those whingin mongrels dinner plates and they do nothin but shoot you down when you make a mistake.
Some people need to get out and fish more and whinge less

mono
16-06-2009, 06:00 PM
how can you have issues with a picture..it is just a picture..not some cure for a disease or the winning lotto numbers..just a simple bloody picture...not worth worrying about.

Spot on Greg!!

yellowbeard
16-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Yellowbeard,
I'm afraid the old AJA hasn't existed for quite some time now - we all play with the jugglers and professional footballers in the Media Entertainment and Arts Alliance now MEAA :o

Brett

Yep, I was a member up until 2006. The old farts still call it the AJA -- and you'll find it still listed as Australian Journalists Association (MEAA) on lots of listings -- including the 'Code of Ethics' (now there's a joke). It's just that certain teetotalling sections of the 'Alliance' don't feel comfortable gathering down at the early-opener at 6.30am. And what's the matter with that?

haggis
16-06-2009, 07:38 PM
good luck webby with whatever you decide to do .
I will miss your column in bnb as it is quite often about where I try to catch fish .
Hey it was only a bloody picture . To many people are only out to find fault & lay
blame so as they can feel good about themselves as they slag someone off
that they dont even know .
webby keep fishing & wishing as u never know whats around the next corner .
cheers haggis .....................

BigE
16-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Brian ...... have another black duck old mate, catch up one day and we'll dong a few chromies like the one on the oppsite side off the page that has caused you so much grief, lord knows it's only a fishin mag not the bible!

Regards
BigE

Horse
16-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I can't believe all the fuss being made from a very simple mistake:-/ .

Brian, I am sure you will do what you are most comfortable doing so don't sweat it. Your articles have opened up a lot of fishing possibilities for those who have read them and would be missed by many:'( .
It must be about time for me to have another crack at putting you onto a Plastic Fantastic Snapper;D. The last effort didn't quite suceed:P

Cheers

Neil

theoldlegend
17-06-2009, 06:26 AM
Webby, I wouldn't fret too much about it mate, although knowing you, I can understand why you're so upset about it.

You have an awful lot of friends and supporters on this site who will stick by you, and no doubt you've received heaps of PM's about it by now.

I would ask you to reconsider your decision not to write any more articles though. They're always down to earth, full of tips, and nothing too flashy like what I read in the glossy mags.

Regards,

TOL

finga
17-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Hey Brian, now that you have some spare time get your fat-ass down here! I need some help with these snapper. You know you are always welcome onboard 'Windarra'.

Cheers mate,
Capt Mark 'Mono' Stewart
Please let me know when that happens.
I'll be glad to pay for that charter and not even wet a line.
It'll be worth it just for the knowledge gained and the porky pies told....I mean the fishing banter that would be evident.
I'll even take the pictures :)

I can't wait ;D
Cheers
Scott :)

NAGG
17-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Well .... I feel that Webby has responded & acted accordingly. He is clearly aware that the publication & his reputation has been somewhat tarnished. He has taken some responsibility for the foul up , as he should ...... Regardless of the lack of intent or direct blame , Webby did put his name to the article.

I don't consider myself ... to quote the author "Predator , bloodhound etc" Just someone that wants to see this type of garbage removed from the fishing media......

Chris

coroboy
17-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Webby, I subscribe to BnB and enjoy your articles. That is why I subscribe instead of forgetting to buy the mag at the local mag shop. No need to stop writing what you enjoy and thousands enjoy reading. You are known about the boating and fishing fanatics as reliable and honest. I now have to go home and check out the pic as I mostly read your words over the pics.
Coroboy.

Tropicaltrout
17-06-2009, 06:13 PM
Well I put the last thread up for all to see I belive everyone has a point of veiw and personally I could not give a rats bum about webby or anyone one else for that matter.

BUT at the end of the day a mistake was made he has acted as HE sees fit and that's that. I am glad he gave his side of the story and I hope that from this we never see this type of stupidity on anyones behalf in any picture or publication again cause it's only a bloody fish!!!! who caught it is pie in the sky.

Nath

rakinray
17-06-2009, 06:37 PM
What the hell are you " Predators " going on about ! it was a simple mistake ! Who does it hurt ! Its just a PICTURE of a fish for xxxx sake This is the reason why alot of the old Ausfish crew dont post on here much, to worried about being judged by some self opinionated little weed that thinks he is going to make a big man of himself, and god forbid that he might do something wrong in his perfect world >:( I will stand by Webby with whatever he does, as he is and will always be a mate of mine thru thick or thin and all the wankers that enjoy kicking a top fisho for some thing like this can go to hell for all i care. Remember as Greg and Mono said its not a murder or a bank robbery its just a PHOTO ! Can i make it any clearer ! Well done to all the people who have come out to stand behind a true mate .

CHEERS RAY PS Webby it will be their loss mate.

Crestcutter
17-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Well said Ray...

BR65
17-06-2009, 07:47 PM
What the hell are you " Predators " going on about ! it was a simple mistake ! Who does it hurt ! Its just a PICTURE of a fish for xxxx sake This is the reason why alot of the old Ausfish crew dont post on here much, to worried about being judged by some self opinionated little weed that thinks he is going to make a big man of himself, and god forbid that he might do something wrong in his perfect world >:( I will stand by Webby with whatever he does, as he is and will always be a mate of mine thru thick or thin and all the wankers that enjoy kicking a top fisho for some thing like this can go to hell for all i care. Remember as Greg and Mono said its not a murder or a bank robbery its just a PHOTO ! Can i make it any clearer ! Well done to all the people who have come out to stand behind a true mate .

Most posts I read, and was glad to see the loyalty of mates, opinions are like ar#eholes, every one has one, most are differant, but yours is worth a reply.If Im a self opinionated little weed, you are a toady sycophant. Fair dinkum, move past name calling hey! Its easy point scoring, and nothing more than derogatory rubbish.
If you think that I voiced an opinion to make a big man of myself, or I think I live in a perfect world, or I have kicked a top fisho, or I have an agenda about your mate, you didnt read what I have previously written, and are sadly mistaken.
Just for you, I will say it again, simply, it stinks to digitally alter a picture by placing angler A head on to angler B fish photo and publishing it. Its deception to those who spend their money thinking they are seeing "the real thing".
The bloke has explained the circumstances, very good, Ive moved past that, but my opinion is that the act itself is wrong.
Yep, well done to all the people who have come out to stand behind their mate, thats the Aussie way.
Poor form to any one who thinks it is ok to rip off some one elses fish.

Ausfish
17-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks Ray, couldn't have said it better myself. Its a photo, who cares! There is prob ably not a photo in a magazine these days that has not be altered in some way. Do you think that the person used to advertise a product actually looks like that.

I wasn't going to post on this issue as I have already spoken to Brian about it and he knows he has my support. But, it never ceases to amaze me, the amount of keyboard heroes and poppy farmers that come out when some one makes a small mistake.

rakinray
17-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Hey BR YOU JUST DONT GET IT ! I will put it simply ! We dont care what you think ! Do you UNDERSTAND !

RAY.

Crestcutter
17-06-2009, 08:19 PM
BR, if your main concern is Photo altering well make a thread about it, that way you dont come over as riding Webbys nuts. In all bloody honesty if you are putting this much thought and you are totally disqusted in photo altering i suggest you never buy any sort of magazine again.

As Steve has said , every magazine that has anything to do with selling any product has a photo that has been altered in some way shape or form.

Your entitled to your opinion mate for sure.I just find you harping on about a friggen photo on a thread where Mr Webb has come out and admitted his mistake real bad Aussie form. Thats my opinion.

Horse
17-06-2009, 08:52 PM
BR you are missing the point here by a long way:whip: . Let it go and let yourself grow a bit.
I hope that Webby knows that the vast majority are supporting him :2thumbsup: There will always be a few tossers in the mix to stir things up:P

SgBFish
17-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Its a photo, who cares!

Webby does.

rakinray
17-06-2009, 09:53 PM
We know Webby does Sgbfish thats why the post, but what we are saying is we dont care about it. As we have already said its not the end of the world as some would have us believe (its just a PHOTO !) end of story.

RAY.

Tropicaltrout
18-06-2009, 06:55 AM

Read you own reply, I am pretty sure its what BR it on about. You say ITS JUST A PICTURE... then in the next sentence you say thats why the bloke dont post on ausfish much, cause there too worried about being judged... boo bloody whooo??? A slight controdiction there???

Fella take a tea spoon of cement and harden up put your pictures up get judged as you say the majority will give you the thumbs up you just have to skip the critics....:-*

Now about Webby as I said before dont know him dont care, but from what I read he seems a fantastic bloke, he has acted to what he see's fit and I hope from this FUTURE ISSUES OF THIS NATURE never make it to print cause at the end of the day its not just a photo ITS JUST A FISH....

Thanks Webby for your honesty and I hope you can shrug it off and get back to writing your article again, I really dont think you have a critc on here even the ones on here that come across a bit harsh. I know it was the idea of being mislead once and all will start that was the drive for it to be hit hard.

Cheers Nath

TimiBoy
18-06-2009, 07:01 AM
Time to lock this thread, I reckon. Webby's said his piece, and the vast majority have been sympathetic.

But there is a small minority who just want to sling sh!t and arc everyone up.

C'mon Mods, what say they be denied further opportunity?

Cheers,

Tim

finga
18-06-2009, 07:21 AM
A lot of the old timers don't post on here anymore because people are always wanting to make mountains over mole hills.
I can see both sides of the toss in this but why keep harping on about it??

Webby was put in the deep end by a mate.
Webby has made his mind up on how the handle the problem.
Webby has acted in a way that he believes is the best for all (not just those directly concerned).
Webby has put a post explaining his mistake and the manner in which he is fixing it.

It's not up to rest of us to decide if the details warrant the actions or not. It is Webby's decision.
Why drag it on for 5 pages arguing the toss??
If you think the picture was a blatant breach of journalistic ethics (is there such a thing?) then goodo then, you'd be happy Webby is not writing any more.
If you think...what the hell, it's only a picture...keep writing matey...then you'd be sad but you'll get over it.
I'm sorry to say, but, another writer (who may be a better fisherman, maybe not) will come and take his place and after a while people will say...Webby....who's Webby?

I have a good idea for Webby now he's not going to write.
Have day classes in fishing. That way people (if they really want too that is) will pay to learn his methods and maybe gain just a fraction of his knowledge.
Probably work out cheaper then a subscription to B&B.

I have a better idea. Everyone should just go fishing and gain some knowledge first hand and not try to get the knowledge from a little clipping in a magazine.
That's how Webby learnt.

That's all I have to say except all best then Brian.
As long as you and your family are happy then that's all that matters. Who gives a rat's what anyone else thinks.

PS Captain Mono...still waiting for the call. I was serious. I'll gladly pay to come on a trip with you two.

NAGG
18-06-2009, 08:23 AM
Opinions will always be divided & people will see things in a different light from someone else ........... I dont think we need to stoop to name calling !
Its nice to see that Webby has a lot of supporters ...... Great- thats what mates do !.
As for "a mountain out of a mole hill" or "its just a photo" ....... If that was the case Webby & BnB would have just shrugged it off & done nothing! .... But they haven't

Chris

finga
18-06-2009, 08:35 AM
As for "a mountain out of a mole hill" or "its just a photo" ....... If that was the case Webby & BnB would have just shrugged it off & done nothing! .... But they haven't

Chris
Gidday Chris...I may have come across wrong.

I was making a broad statement on many issues across most of the different sections here.
Just one of them was the bream comp guys or the etec argument or the famous NTH QLD chop that was in the boating section...the list goes on.

This thread is the mole hill that has turned into a mountain...not the issue.
I can see both sides of the coin about the picture in question and believe each side has it's merits.

Sorry about the confusion. :-/

NAGG
18-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Gidday Chris...I may have come across wrong.

I was making a broad statement on many issues across most of the different sections here.
Just one of them was the bream comp guys or the etec argument or the famous NTH QLD chop that was in the boating section...the list goes on.

This thread is the mole hill that has turned into a mountain...not the issue.
I can see both sides of the coin about the picture in question and believe each side has it's merits.

Sorry about the confusion. :-/

No worries ...... there are always going to be topics that stir people up - Sometimes for the right reason , sometime for the wrong.

I took offence to a couple of the comments made toward BR65 ..... I know the bloke & know he is not one for cheap point scoring (he is quite the opposite) nor is he just a keyboard critic ...... He ( like me) have a thing about chopped photos or fantasy writings in the fishing media ...... & regardless who the person was (fishing personality or not) - there would have been the same response....
:exclamation: Finally on this whole issue - I am surprised that the bloke that made this error in judgement & caused all the fuss ..... Has not manned up & made a public apology for the harm / embarrassment that he caused ...... instead of just letting all the heat fall on his supposed mate.

Chris

ffejsmada
18-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Ain't it grand to see the Ausfish "clique" very alive and well???::)
Seems the "clique" can name call and be derogatory, but for us mere mortals.........oh no, we'd get a warning or a post modification.
Typical.

Mattg68
18-06-2009, 10:07 AM
what a classic.

this thread starts off with Webbys apology and soon escalates into a bar room brawl (gotta love public forums). reminds me of the old pub fights in the movies, one punch is thrown and before you know it your giving an upper cut to your best mate.

let's all stop the opinions, grow up, hug a tree (or fish) and get on with life for christs sake.

it's done, it's dusted and a good man has resigned from his position over it - price paid.

now let's talk about fishing.

Matt

DR
18-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I see both sides to this, Webby has been hung out to dry because a 'mate' did a really stupid thing, & he should have known better.

Webby has apologised & taken the steps he has for his own reasons, for which he deserves a huge helping of credit.

Some have made negative comments, their perogative, & Webbies supporters have got their noses out of joint & been very defensive..
Had this been some other publication, not B&B which appears to be the Ausfish bible, & some other journalist with no affiliation with Ausfish & a lot of it's members, i doubt all those that are so defensive would have been so forthcoming in their comments, I actually think a lot would have been on the other side in denigrating the person for publishing & appearing to take credit for someone elses fish or photo, it's just human nature to defend friends..
all should be allowed an opinion, but should keep the personal attacks out of it, as mistakes happen.

Webby did absolutely nothing wrong & is the one who will be most affected..i doubt he is enjoying all the crap flying around in this thread.

dazza
18-06-2009, 03:39 PM
few of you blokes are pretty quick to slam anyone who has a differing point of view

i remember in the early days of ausfish some pic's posted by webby and questions about photo shop being raised, cannot find the link maybe one of the mod's has access?? some of the older members must remember this

why raise this? it might add some ballance to the argument.

i have no axe to grind with webby, don't even know the bloke, good on him for his public admission.
remember 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth
cheers
dazza

Chimo
18-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey Dazza

I've commented on the main issue but having just read your comment Dazza I must add the point that there are infact 4 sides or aspects.

The 4th is the one that people working to get "space" in print or the electronic media work at most and from my own experience in the past producing releases one has to walk the "line" carefully.

I refer to "The need to not let truth get in the way or interfer with the selling of the story"

Perhaps some aspect of this may have also applied in this case?

Having a nice day, you too?

Cheers
Chimo