PDA

View Full Version : bertram 28 fuel consumption

seameter
13-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Hi. I am considering purchasing a 28 bertram or similar in the next few months. Most of the ones i have looked at in my price range are powered by the original 260hp v8 mercruiser shaftdrives. Im curious as to what sort of fuel consumption i would get out of something like this. I know that its not going to be good with 2 big old engines in a heavy boat, my concern is more about the range of the boat more so than actual fuel consumption.
cheers

David H
13-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Gday Seameter,

I dont have any experience with a 28 with twin 260 Hp motors, but I did have a 23 with a single 260 hp, so the info may be an indicator.

At 20 knots my 23 with single 260 Hp motor I was consuming 34 litres per hour in perfect conditions. So a 28 with twins being a heavier boat would have to use more than double this i would think.

I did hear about a fellow who had a 30 with twin petrol motors (dont know what size) and he was rumoured to use 100 ltrs per hour.

Prop size and pitch would also have to play a factor in total fuel consumption.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

David.

marlin01
14-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Seameter,
I fished on a 28 berty with twin 350's and it was very thirsty. The boat in question was very well maintained with well tuned props (3 blade) and a clean bum. We would regularly burn 350+lts for a day (14hrs) when dragging lures.
The boat certainly pulled fish though having done well in a couple of interclubs and winning a shootout.
I also fished a fair bit in a 28 with twin 165 volvos which were a bit slow but much cheaper to run.
There is a reason the twin petrol 28's are cheaper and that is that you will burn at least $300 a day even pulling livies on the shelf.
I guess it boils down to how many hours you intend to do and how much you can burn for the day without repercussions from the finance minister.
I had a day on a 28 with twin Yanmar 230hp's, absolute ants pants, smooth and cheap to run (From memory we burnt 140lts for a big day pulling teasers and fighting a couple of fish) but very exy initial purchase.
Cheers
Marlin

sleepygreg
14-06-2009, 01:48 AM
Them yanmars are a damned good engine. Reliable and cheap to run. A mate has twin 300 yanmars on his 30 foot blackwatch bridgedeck. A days fishing (scarbie to the wide blue yonder....trolling all day...then back across the bay) rarely cost more than $300 for the day in fuel.

Greg

rogerb
14-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I have a Blackwatch 28 with a single 230 Yanmar shaft drive diesel, its very good on fuel, as an example we burn 100 liters for a day full day's trolling. Cruise speed is 16 knots at 2800 rpm.

brush
15-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Gooday Seameter'
Berty 28 with twin inboards are a bit thirsty, but, depends on how you drive her.
Expect to use 71- 85 lts/hour at 18- 21 cruise.
cheers
Brush.

seameter
15-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies guys, exactly the info i was after

arvor
16-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a Blackwatch 28 with a single 230 Yanmar shaft drive diesel, its very good on fuel, as an example we burn 100 liters for a day full day's trolling. Cruise speed is 16 knots at 2800 rpm.
thats very impressive for a 28 and 230 hp.and makes it not too bad when you come back without a hit.
but back to the consumption of the berty 28 .saying it doesnt matter is fine for the first year.but after that if you want to pop out for that second time for the week.at lets say 250$per trip thats going to put the brakes on .but if you can afford they are a well built and timeless vessel.good luck and hope to see you out there.

mikeyh
16-06-2009, 09:09 PM
hi there,
I had an old Riv 27 which was repowered with a single new Volvo 5.7GXI & duo prop...320hp, fuel injected. Best cruise around 22kn @ 55lph. Consumption almost always between 2.5 - 3.0 L/nm, depending on weather etc. The new injected engines are much more economical than the carb versions.
I have a mate with a 28 Berty with (old) twin BMW diesels. His cruise is around 17kn and uses about 3L/nm.

cheers, Mike

marlin01
16-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I would echo the sentiments re the seakeeping abilities of the 28's.

I have fished in some horrendous seas in the diesel 28 and found it very sound and predictable. At least as good if not better manners than its bigger 31' brother and very close to the 35', all of which I have fished on at some stage.

That is a big wrap for the 28 but its fishability was probably its greatest asset. Big cockpit for teasing, plenty of storage for two big evakools out of the way and quite a manouvarable old girl too. Large transom door and no marlin board made them a pleasure to fight fish out of.

Thats my opinion any how.
Cheers
Dave

siegfried
16-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Mate on another thread noelm put up a link to a 32 cresta imo a better rig with twin diesels may be worth a look (9-10m boat post) I had a fair bit to do with one with the BMW diesels and still have nightmares about them motors.