PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island boat launching

QuinnyII
12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi all,

Got a weeks holiday coming up at the end of the month and looking at spending a few nights camping on Moreton Island with a couple of mates.

At this stage we look to be taking 2 cars and a 5.5m boat over on the barge.

I have had a good search of the forum and cannot see any mention of ramps or launching sites on the island.

Does anyone know of any launching sites on the island, or will we have to get an exteded drawbar installed on the trailer?

Cheers Quinny.

reelchippy
13-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Mate no ramps on moreton and why don't you drive the boat over cheers

QuinnyII
13-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Reelchippy,

We were going to drive the boat over, but like the idea of being able to take it out of the water when not in use. Also the trip over and back will use a fair bit of fuel, and I have heard fuel is long longer available on the island, was hoping t conserve the fuel by taking it over on a trailer.

Looks like it is a drawbar extension.

Cheers Quinny

Pretzil
13-06-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm assuming you are planning to camp on the western beach ay

Anyway, last christmas we took the car over and drove the boat over but when the weather came up we had the trailer sent over on the barge. We ended up pulling it out of the water near the barge landing point where it is fairly deep right up to the shore and calm because of the wrecks cover. We were able to drive our 6m plate alloy centre console up onto the trailer and launch it again a few days later no problem at all, so you should be fine.

Also, very good idea to conserve the fuel since I dont think they sell it anywhere on the island any more.

tude08
13-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Also been interested in doing a similar trip, just got a new 4x4 and keen to have a bit of a play over on moreton.

My boat only has 85L tank plus i have 2 x 20L Jerry cans. And i am wanting to do at least 2 trips around the cape in the time i am camping on moreton.

Am willing to buy a drawbar set up. Anyone had this done recently. cost??

Is there anywhere suitable to beach launch on the island?

The-easyrider
13-06-2009, 07:26 PM
The blokes that live at bulwar launch off the beach straight out front although they use tractors. I rememember one time we were over camped near cowan and it was going to blow up big from the north west so we anchord my bros boat about 100 meters from shore and swam in. Come morning we were the only boat left floating were it was left. Of the others one was gone altogether one was swamped and one was upside down on the beach smashed up.

grey_inflatable
16-06-2009, 10:10 PM
if you have two forbys why not camp up behind the light house safe spot to launch and the reefs are just a couple ks out. drive up to bulwer inland from there have your snatchy ready though and let the people off the brag go 1st because no doubt you will get bogged bugger at the time but it was every one talks about and normally makes them keen to go again

trueblue
16-06-2009, 10:43 PM
the trip over and back will use a fair bit of fuel, and I have heard fuel is long longer available on the island, was hoping t conserve the fuel by taking it over on a trailer.

How much will the boat cost to take over on the barge? Your fuel costs to and from the island will be much less than the barge one would think? Max 50 litres to and from scarborough with a really thirsty 2 stroke... Just borrow a heap of jerry cans and load the boat up.

QuinnyII
16-06-2009, 11:10 PM
Trueblue,

It is not going to be cheap to get the boat over, about $190 each way I have been told.

However my mate who is comming over and owns the boat we will be taking has just bought his first 4x4 and wants to give it a good go.

The trip was initially just going to be a 4x4 trip but we have decided to take the boat over if we can. Probably going to load his ute up with a few jerries of fuel, so we can do a couple of decent trips outside if the weather permits.

Maybe we should do one or the other. Looks like it is going to be bloody expensive doing both.

Cheers

Quinny

PADDLES
17-06-2009, 04:04 PM
easyrider is spot on i reckon, leaving your boat out the front is asking for trouble quinny. the slightest bit of west in the wind will make it quite rough and this happens a bit at night. you will be in your tent all night, unable to sleep, wondering if your boat will be there in the morning. behind the wrecks is a bit better for chop but the high tidal run through there is the issue, if it's not anchored real well it'll dissappear also. if you're going to take a boat then take a trailer and pull it out at night and in rough weather. the beach is real shallow until you get over the drop anywhere else on the western beach, but your quinny will be pretty light and not too bad to get on the trailer at high tide.

QuinnyII
19-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks Paddles,

We will definantly be taking the trailer over, going to be expensive, but well worth it for peace of mind.

Just going to have to entend the length of the trip to make it worth while, and possibly take a few more people so we can share the cost around.

Cheers

Quinny

Mattk76
19-06-2009, 08:07 PM
In my experience i have found it depends on how much you load up the boat. If real heavy & the boat wont get up & plane with the weight you will chew through heaps of fuel also put your motor under undue strain.

If the weather becomes crook i check out the tide chart & bring the boat high & dry up on the sand on the high tide just be sure the next tide will be high enough to get back out. ps just watch out for oppurtunists pinching stuff from the boat whilst high & dry