PDA

View Full Version : What style of trailer plug...??

garman1
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
So what is the most common type of trailer plug amongst local boaties????. I am thinking about using old tried and true metal case 7 pin plug type. I was using the new flat plastic type with led testing etc, but the plug fell out between home and the boat ramp and the plug never lasted the distance (only a small bit of plastic left, with wires dangling free). The old metal type plug would survive no probs..................

So what is the "common" plug type around here ????

White Pointer
12-06-2009, 06:35 PM
G'day,

What you said. Seven pin small round. Easy, cheap and works.

Regards,

White Pointer

Kleyny
12-06-2009, 06:38 PM
7 pin round

neil

The-easyrider
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
12pin flat never had a problem with a Bryalite trailer plug ever but have had probs with the cheap utilex copies

garman1
13-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the replies, I might go back to the old faithful 7 pin metal one.

tunaticer
13-06-2009, 01:46 PM
I have never had a problem with the 7 flats but many times i have had problems with the 7 round. Been running 7 flat for nearly 12 yrs now without one problem with the plug or connections therein. Not to say i havent corroded out the harness elsewhere with cable bruises though.

TheRealAndy
13-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Buy a narva brand unit, from repco. Dont buy the cheap crap from b c f and super cheap.

garman1
15-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Went with the flat plugs again, found a caravan place that sold brilite, the prices were cheaper than supercheap and the quality is excellent.

Noelm
15-06-2009, 03:02 PM
I thought I read or heard (or maybe even dreamt) that the flat one is now the "standard" and will be used on all new trailers from some time ago, but I could be wrong, I often am! has anyone seen a new trailer or car without the flat one being used??

lunchcutter
16-06-2009, 06:25 PM
yeah had a 7 round pin plastic set up but kept on falling apart now gone to the metal casing alot better no probs

moparrob
16-06-2009, 06:42 PM
wait until the metal one gets some dirt in the female end and you cannot get the male out. Flat all the way for me I have had all styles the flat on my car doesn't even have the little flap to hold the plug in and it still doesn't come out.

garman1
16-06-2009, 10:18 PM
mo, I would look at getting a new female plug for your flat set up. The flat female plug on my car had lost the locking tab too and I have used the boat heaps of times with no probs either................. till last friday, got to the ramp and found the trailer wires dragging along the ground, no plug left, just wires. Get a new female plug before you go out with the trailer. Mine cost 20 or so bucks. I should have replaced it before it cost me both the female and male plug too.

TOPAZ
17-06-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi All,

I used to use the 5/7 pin round plugs until I got my current boat which has electric brakes, so has to have a flat 12-pin plug.

I feel that these are far better than the round plugs, and have converted my other trailers to flat plugs.

As with ALL trailer plugs, they can get loose with usage, so I find that if you push a small screwdriver into the male pins (which are split into two halves) to separate the 2 a bit, then they grab the sockets much tighter, thus making a better electrical connection, and also much less likely to work themselves loose and fall out.
Also make sure that the trailer lead has a bit of slack at all trailer angles or the plugs will come apart no matter which type you have.

I agree with the posts above that cheap plugs and a waste of time, and a little extra spent on plugs is very worthwhile.

Richard

Moonlighter
17-06-2009, 07:00 PM
7 pin flat plugs seem to be becoming the standard now, and I've changed over to them a few years ago on boat and box trailer.

The plat plugs are much easier to use, stay plugged in better, easier to wire and easier to find faults/fix if a wire does get loose because the wiring instructions are inside most of the better brand ones, they fall apart less, are easier to plug in and unplug in my opinion.

I won't go back to the old 7 pin flat ones again.

Cheers!

ML

garman1
19-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Finished the wiring of the new flat plug, so nice to be able to tighten up screws without stripping the threads and to have a bit of room to move with the flat plug set up.

ozscott
19-06-2009, 08:27 AM
I changed a flatty for a 7 pin round steel and havent looked back. I think 7 pin round is still most common. They are still being fitted to vehicles and trailers in Qld at least.

Cheers