PDA

View Full Version : Overhead Reels

philzero44
12-06-2009, 06:00 PM
I've got my fireline and my knots and now a overhead reel.So i'm just wondering what are the pitfalls with chatting and thumbing the reel.Thanks.

tailorboi99
12-06-2009, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't be thumbing an overhead spooled with Fireline, especially on a raging fish, mainly because you'd have a burnt thumb. Just use the drag,

Thanks Tom

onerabbit
12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Hehehehe....

not just burnt.......ready to be burley........

OK.....you have an overhead.......you have fireline....(not my favourite)

I advise the when you arrive at your chosen destination that you drop to the bottom...with sinker of choice...and make a dummy strike....if line comes off your reel...tighten drag.

If you hook a really big fish, resist the temptation to thumb the reel.......apply more drag.

Be ready to injure your thumb as you keep line level on reel, unless you have level wind........(dont worry, your thumb will grow callouses)

Above all............................enjoy your fishing.

MUZZ

griz066
12-06-2009, 08:45 PM
First get another line other than fireline bloody terrible stiff stuff it is ,I like Finns but that is not what you have asked. Yes you thumb the spool when casting or dropping to the bottom but that's about it.

GBC
12-06-2009, 09:48 PM
You got a jack running for a snag, or a trout heading home - you've got the option of thumbing where a threadline you don't. Sure it may hurt, but at least you won't die wondering. Overheads definitely have their upsides, cast accuracy not being the least.

tailorboi99
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
First get another line other than fireline bloody terrible stiff stuff it is ,I like Finns but that is not what you have asked. Yes you thumb the spool when casting or dropping to the bottom but that's about it.

Another great braid I have been recently using is the Tuffline XP,

Thanks Tom

philzero44
13-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Tailorboi99,I'll look in to the tuffline xp Thanks.