PDA

View Full Version : Polycraft Boats

gunna
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I am thinking of selling the 4.5 runabout and buying a second-hand 4.5 centre console poly(if I can find one at a fair price lol). I have checked the Poly Forum and of course all those blokes reckon their boats are the best !!

A lot of you guys keep your ears pretty close the ground when it comes to pros and cons of boats.

The polys have been round for a while now. Any comments - good or bad on how the centre consoles perform ??

TheRealAndy
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I am thinking of selling the 4.5 runabout and buying a second-hand 4.5 centre console poly(if I can find one at a fair price lol). I have checked the Poly Forum and of course all those blokes reckon their boats are the best !!

A lot of you guys keep your ears pretty close the ground when it comes to pros and cons of boats.

The polys have been round for a while now. Any comments - good or bad on how the centre consoles perform ??

I got one 4.55 CC, i will tell you all the bad things about them.

They are heavy compared to a tinny
The hull design/shape is from the early 80's, and as a result they push lots of water and are a lot wetter than most. However you do get stability in return.
Whilst I cant confirm it, I reckon the flex in the plastic bogs them down a bit. A little stiffer design I think would make them a lot faster getting onto, and on the plane
There is a lot of wasted space due to the dual skin design.Other than that, I cant think of much else I dont like. If I do I will be sure to post it up here. I will let the others post the good points (there is plenty) but one thing I will say is that these boats are virtually indestructable. I do bad things to my boat (read no maintenance, washing, run it up on rocks/ramps etc) and its still going strong. I'm also not afraid to push it through big seas, cause it handles it real well.

Overall, I think they are a great boat for the 4-5m range. I dont think I would buy one of the bigger models though.

tunaticer
12-06-2009, 04:01 PM
My next boat will definitely be a plastic boat of some breed. I do like the Polycraft range but there will probably be quite a few more breeds around when i get the chance to upgrade in about 3 or 4 yrs time. I took a 4.8 forward centre console out for a test drive a while ago and it felt like a very sturdy soft riding hull albeit a bit wet testing in 25 knot winds. The biggest plus for me is the zero corrosion chances of the hull as i have welded up many many corrosion holes in my tinny and other ppl's tinnies over the yrs.
Yes they are quite a lot heavier than a tinny and marginally heavier than a platey of similar size but when you consider you are buying two hulls both inner and outer skins there is not a whole lot of difference IMHO.
Stick with the larger side of the horsepower range for the hull and it will work fine.
I would however like to see more factory varations for fitouts of the polycraft range. Thier centre consoles are very lacking in useable dash space for decent sized electronics. I would also like to see some form of side pockets in poly that could be fitted over a large cutout in the inside walls of the hulls either for gear storage or rod lockers.

themissus
12-06-2009, 06:08 PM
They are also a wet boat. TheRealAndy pretty much summed up the bad points. The finish can be a bit rough but they have improved since ours was made, they are a no frills boat. If your after something that's great to fish out of and can go anywhere and take any treatment you dish it a poly is for you!! Go the max horsepower allowed and you'll be set. Don't think I'll ever go back to a tin boat after having a poly.
Cheers Kim.

O-3
12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I have a 4.55 and I agree with what has been said.

Mine has a custom bow rail with spray dodges and I still get wet if the wind is from the right direction.Would hate to have one without the spray dodgers!

Storage and room inside the boat is lacking compared to a similar sized tinnie. This is because of the thickness of the skin and the two seat pods at the back.

On the plus side the boats are incredibly stable and really are a great boat to fish out of.
I have caught some bloody good fish out of it (http://www.users.on.net/~mhalls/CoffinBay2007/hypnotize.wmv)

Where will you use the boat??
If your using it in sheltered waters I don't think you can go wrong, if using it in the sea I would say get something bigger.

Look for one with a 60hp if you can, the 50 is just a tad to small IMO.

I'm selling mine in the next two weeks but I already have a buyer.

gunna
12-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Where will you use the boat??

I would like to get something that gives stability in the dams with a leccy up front - but can also get me off Mooloolaba when I want. And to stay under 4.6M to fit in the garage. The poly seemed a good compromise - but I don't really want a wet boat. I might look at some tin centre consoles also.

frankgrimes
12-06-2009, 07:42 PM
I've got the new 4.5 CC (Drifter) - Top boat, predictable and soft ride....I've only got a 50 Merc 4 banger on her, but as I fish solo mainly it's ok...top speeds ~53ks, and hole shots not bad(60 would be my preference....jackextracters got the same rig as mine, but with a 60 merc 4, and from all accounts she's a weapon!).

Can't compare the old model 455 to mine, but I really don't find mine that wet.

I've upgraded from a 4.3 Stacer....poly blows the stacer away in every aspect

Mick

TheRealAndy
12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
I would like to get something that gives stability in the dams with a leccy up front - but can also get me off Mooloolaba when I want. And to stay under 4.6M to fit in the garage. The poly seemed a good compromise - but I don't really want a wet boat. I might look at some tin centre consoles also.

You will find that all of them are wet. Perhaps some of the smaller plate version might be a bit better, but I dare say all pressed ally models will suffer the same issue. Some of the guys on the polyboat forum are welding sprayrails to the boats and they reckon that solves a lot of the problems.

I personally could not be arsed, if I head out into moreton bay it has to start getting up around the 15knt mark before I get wet and I just wear my 3/4 lenght spray jacket and then there is no issues.

TheRealAndy
12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Best of taking one for a ride. I am happy to do so one day, never really fished up the sunny coast so it might be worth a trek!

wags on the water
12-06-2009, 10:40 PM
It sounds like you need to buy yourself a good raincoat Peter.:vrolijk_1: