PDA

View Full Version : 9 - 10 mtr. boats

sparky54
12-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Hi Guys,

I am looking at buying a larger plaining boat in the 9 - 10 mtr. range, the boat will be used for fishing and over night cruises for 3 - 5 people. I have a budget of $80 - $100k, what brands and motor configurations? There seems to be a lot of Bayliner and Mustang boats on the market, although they don't seem to have much deck space. Also the Seaquest 2800 Sportsbridge looks a possibility if there is any in my price range. If any of you guys have one of these, what fuel usage and cruise speed do you get, any advice would be much appreciated. The boat will be moored at Roslyn Bay Yeppoon.

Cheers Sparky.

Noelm
12-06-2009, 02:07 PM
I reckon for that sort of money I would be looking at something just a tad larger for 5 people, there is a thousand Boats around that will suit, from older (but great) Gameboats to full on cruisers, but these are not real flash for fishing. go for diesel only, no petrol in that size.

peterbo3
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3004032
Something like this would be my choice if you were planning on doing a lot of fishing. Twin diesels, big self draining deck that you could put a big awning over, toilet, built in Survey. You would need to get it really checked out but there should be money left over to upgrade the galley & berths.

PinHead
12-06-2009, 02:42 PM
I reckon for that sort of money I would be looking at something just a tad larger for 5 people, there is a thousand Boats around that will suit, from older (but great) Gameboats to full on cruisers, but these are not real flash for fishing. go for diesel only, no petrol in that size.

why not petrol Noel..not really that big a boat

Scott nthQld
12-06-2009, 03:01 PM
maybe not Pinhead, but when your looking at around 30ltrs an hour for diesel and upto about 80ltrs an hour for petrol, there's some big dollars to be saved there, no matter what sort of dollars you earn that would come into consideration at some point, also increases range.

Dunno what servicing would cost though, my bet is diesel would be a lot more expensive and more frequent.

I'm not famililiar with any brand in this size, but before you start seriously thinking about brands/configurations, be very honest at what will you be doing with the boat. If cruising will be the main use, deck space for fishing isn't as important and you can look at more of a cruier style boat with more cover and more creature comforts, as opposed to a fishing boat, a couple of seats, and big esky, can come into play over nice big cushy seats, full galley's etc.

Noelm
12-06-2009, 03:04 PM
there is plenty around that size with petrol engines, and with quite good savings, but most have stern drives, whereas in Diesel most will be shaft drive and so much more reliable and robust, but for that money, there will be so many to choose from, you will be dizzy in short time trying to sort out which ones to look at! look at this one, first page I searched, great brand too.
http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats.php?de=49490

PinHead
12-06-2009, 03:09 PM
you can always have a cruiser with a decent size duckboard on the back for fishing . I found petrol sterndrives to be easily maintained as long as you use the boat often.

Rockrash
12-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Petrol sterndrives.:o ONE FLASH AND YOUR'E ASH!

The-easyrider
12-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Not with moden injected motors and vapor sensors ;) ;)

PinHead
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM

there are more boat fires from turbo diesels than pertol motors..people do not let them cool...do a run..stop the motor..different temps from motor to turbo..seal opens..diesel leaks onto exhaust...fire.

efi petrol..very little chance..not like the older motors of petrol sitting in a carby bowl and vaporising.

never had a problem with the sterndrives I had.

sparky54
13-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys, I like the idea of diesel but they are fairly rare. The Seaquest 28 Sportsbridge looks ok, enough creature comforts to keep the boss happy and a reasonable rear deck when the seat is removed, single 300hp Mercruiser cruises at 22kts. top speed 35kts, shouldn't be too bad on fuel.

Cheers

siegfried
13-06-2009, 01:37 PM
there is plenty around that size with petrol engines, and with quite good savings, but most have stern drives, whereas in Diesel most will be shaft drive and so much more reliable and robust, but for that money, there will be so many to choose from, you will be dizzy in short time trying to sort out which ones to look at! look at this one, first page I searched, great brand too.
http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats.php?de=49490
I agree totally with Noel reputable boat with adaquate power and good economy, mate stay AWAY from petrols ,I could give examples and reasons but It would take too long.Go to your closest marina and sniff around the blokes that have twin mercruisers etc in petrol with a few years on them in 25 -30 footers and talk to them.

boatboy50
13-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Hey,2

The Seaquest 2800 has long been one of my favourites.

Keep an eye out for a twin outboard job, with a view to repower down the track with twin 4 strokes. You should pick one up for between 60-80k.

Regards

Darren

Rockrash
13-06-2009, 03:17 PM
there are more boat fires from turbo diesels than pertol motors..people do not let them cool...do a run..stop the motor..different temps from motor to turbo..seal opens..diesel leaks onto exhaust...fire.

efi petrol..very little chance..not like the older motors of petrol sitting in a carby bowl and vaporising.

never had a problem with the sterndrives I had.

mmm. I may be confused. Can somebody explain to me which seal would open and let diesel onto the exhaust due to the differences in engine/turbo temps.

Bladeca
13-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Expansion and contraction between the two different metals due to difference in temperature in the turbo to the engine. Engine should be cooler (cools faster) which contracts causing the seal to open up and let oil out. Think i've got it the correct way round. Well that is how I've had it expained to me on my diesel jero.

Rockrash
13-06-2009, 07:28 PM
Expansion and contraction between the two different metals due to difference in temperature in the turbo to the engine. Engine should be cooler (cools faster) which contracts causing the seal to open up and let diesel out. Think i've got it the correct way round. Well that is how I've had it expained to me on my diesel jero.

I know it is off topic but......
I get the feeling that people are yanking my chain but I guess I can play the game anyway. I'll ask again. WHICH SEAL "open up and let diesel out"

siegfried
13-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Just before the seal goes a flying pig will drop rocking horse $*^t on your head

Rockrash
14-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Just before the seal goes a flying pig will drop rocking horse $*^t on your head

;D ;D I don't get much time to spend on Ausfish. It can be a good source of info. Some of the info is..... errrrrr..... not so informed I guess.

Razgo-
14-06-2009, 08:32 AM
Yes you will get your dills, and see broad statements being made.

my boat maybe 40 years old but it is petrol and i would rather have petrol motor than diesels. But if bought one with a diesel in it would it concern me? nup :)
mine is a simple FORD carby 250cc 6cyl motor using only 5ltr/h at around 900-1000RPM. works for me :) (prop shaft v-drive)

pros and cons in all boats and motors etc...

Just like pros and cons with timber, f/glass, and steel. They all have there own set of issues and none is better than the other.

It all comes down to preparation and precautions taken.

GBC
14-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I would have thought that size range and budget would have excluded anything but the mass produced petrol sterndrive types? Seaquest and classics are of course exceptions...

siegfried
14-06-2009, 04:45 PM
;D ;D I don't get much time to spend on Ausfish. It can be a good source of info. Some of the info is..... errrrrr..... not so informed I guess.
sounds like you and Raz belong on sookfish :'( Siegfried humbly apologises for his feeble ill informed evil attempt at humour and will now go away:( sorry Raz your right,petrol sterndrives are superior to diesel in every respect..except in the real world

Razgo-
14-06-2009, 05:33 PM
i never said petrol sterndrives are superior than diesel, in fact i even said if i had a diesel that would be ok too. perhaps learn to read before you mouth?

have another read ::)

siegfried
14-06-2009, 06:28 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( 5 lt/hr @ 1000rpm:P pfffft honestly Raz..the real world aint that bad, try livin in it, I question your credibility mate with figures like that

Razgo-
14-06-2009, 06:48 PM
I didn't say it was bad, in fact i know its great! I really don't know what your problem is?

I should know my own boat ;) and trust me at only 4-5knts i am only using 5ltr/hr
In fact i only put an 83ltr tank in her now. I had a 200ltr tank but it got holes in it. It seemed pointless putting another large tank in since it uses very little fuel ;D

If you don't beleive that i can show you photo's of the new little tank.

It's going on another little voyage soon so i will verify fuel usage by another person on this site who will be drivng her.

There are lots of boats like mine that use bugger all fuel. perhaps you don't know as much as you think you do ::)

siegfried
14-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Look mate you refferred to me as a "dill ",now regarding the flying pig it was alight hearted comment in regard to the chance of a fire in a turbo diesel boat being caused by dissimilar temps in the metal ffs how often does it happen, wake up to yourself , Ive been called a dill by smarter blokes then you btw;D

Razgo-
14-06-2009, 07:18 PM
actually i wasn't referring to you as a dill. But i guess you kind of look like one now ::) all good entertainment though :P But i do see now why you decided you know me so well that you could question my credibility. it was all because you thought i called you a dill? lol.

lee8sec
14-06-2009, 09:25 PM
If not a dill, a good jumper. Leigh

Noelm
15-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I don't remember anyone mentioning e-tec, but it seems this has degraded into the same as an e-tec v 4stroke thread does! cheer up guys, it's Monday morning, lets have a group hug and get over it.

ozlongboarder
15-06-2009, 09:25 AM
My 25 Bertram uses 4.5-5lts/hour, idling in gear doing approx 7km/h. It has a Volvo V8 petrol stern drive.

lee8sec
15-06-2009, 09:32 AM
:rifle: :grin:

In all seriousness there apears to be some good buy's in that size/class of boat.Leigh

I don't remember anyone mentioning e-tec, but it seems this has degraded into the same as an e-tec v 4stroke thread does! cheer up guys, it's Monday morning, lets have a group hug and get over it.

finding_time
15-06-2009, 09:49 AM

E-tec threads dont do that anymore Noel, everyone seems to be over it! The current thread has taken 4 days to get only 13 post , hardly a degraded thread, in the good old days there would have been 70 post by now with 6 or 7 banned members!;) Back on topic i would look for a diesel personally! they'll be hard to find in that price bracket but there a far superior engine to a petrol when it comes to lifespan, fuel usage etc!

Rockrash
15-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Look mate you refferred to me as a "dill ",now regarding the flying pig it was alight hearted comment in regard to the chance of a fire in a turbo diesel boat being caused by dissimilar temps in the metal ffs how often does it happen, wake up to yourself , Ive been called a dill by smarter blokes then you btw;D

Can't speek for Razgo however I can tell you that I wasn't referring to you as a dill.

As for the guys that spun a yarn about some mythical seal that alegedly resides somewhere inside a diesel........ maybe.

CATchin'Em
12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
wow, lots of people seem to be qualified at an awful lot of different things. Every engine is different configurations, to say some of the things that have been said in this thread proves to me that a lot of people are talking about something they know absolutely nothing about.. I thought Peanuts were little things you ate clearly they are big things with arms and legs.
SOOOOOOOOOOOO Many false things been said here.

CATchin'Em
12-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Wow, really!!! everybody that has posted here except Noelm, SLAP YOURSELF STUPID!!!!!!!!! (whoops someone already beat you all to it)

Zippidy
12-10-2012, 01:05 PM
You should stop smoking crack fella.

peterbo3
12-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Wow, really!!! everybody that has posted here except Noelm, SLAP YOURSELF STUPID!!!!!!!!! (whoops someone already beat you all to it)

Now, you sure about that?? Seeing that this post has been in limbo for over three years, you are calling everybody bar Noel stupid?? Soooooooooooo........ where have you been? Slammer?? Asleep?? Latvia?? Mars?? :-X:-X
Or do ya only comment on really OLD threads?? Just askin'................ ::)::)