PDA

View Full Version : Tinny advice

gwin
12-06-2009, 09:55 AM
My dad's got a 4 year old 385 quintrex explorer which has cracked in the floor near the transom. It probably happened while towing with the boat loaded up for a trip over queens birthday. Looking at it on the trailer, it seems to sit well on the skids. Any advice on stopping this happening again?

He's going to get the crack repair but is thinking of getting a new tinny and was hoping to get soming of similar size with a 3mm bottom. I'm unable to find any from the big brands and was hoping that someone else might know more.

Thanks
Glen

finga
12-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Any pictures??
A tinny is not supposed to sit on the skids.
All the weight is supposed to be on the keel and a very slight wobble should be seen if rocked from side to side ie a slight gap under the skids.
Cheers then
Scott :)

frankgrimes
12-06-2009, 10:29 AM
but is thinking of getting a new tinny and was hoping to get soming of similar size with a 3mm bottom. I'm unable to find any from the big brands and was hoping that someone else might know more.

Thanks
Glen

Try shooting pedrodepacus a pm - Seems to have a very good rep. on here.

Mick

Luc
12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Have a look at the SeaJay range http://www.seajayboats.com.au/ and contact them to ask if they can put a 3mm bottom on the one you're interested in.

I had the bottom on my tinny changed from 1.6 to 2mm for very little cost.

Luc

Chimo
12-06-2009, 10:46 AM
Glen

I'll second the motion that you contact pedrodepacus.

At least he will build you exactly what you want / need and you know it wont crack like what you have.

I guess if the new welders who probably built your present boat had practised on scrap before building yours you could feel more comfortable but that probably wasn't the case.

Cheers
Chimo

dogsbody
12-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Blue Fin boats should be on the list as well. Strong as bro.

Dave

gwin
12-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think we might have a look at the trailer set up first and hope the repair holds up. If it cracks again I'll follow up on the boat makers you suggested.

Thanks
Glen

stevej
12-06-2009, 07:12 PM
i have a 385 as well and yes you need the weight to be on the keel rollers
so when the boat isnt strapped down you can sorta rock it from side to side

the boats are only 1850 new so take that into consideration before writing them off bluefin wanted 2600 for somethgn similar abelt had extruded side decks

everythigns done at a price