PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Repairs

Fishmatics
11-06-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys

As a new boat owner can you please help with the following queries.

1) I'm replacing some of the pop rivets that secure my boat cover tie downs on my galvanised trailer, should I prime the rivet holes on the trailer with a primer before riveting the tie downs back onto the trailer - if so what should I use.

2) There are some light spots of rust on the trailer, can I just spray these spots with something or do I need to sand back to metal and repaint?

3) The Winch bolts also have a bit of rust - is it ok to spray with wd40 or should I use something else?

Thanks for the help

Andrew

Fish_gutz
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Personally , I`d use some primer and maybe a bit of kill rust paint over the top. I`ve been told giving rust a brush with some pool acid will eat it away then clean it up with a wire brush and coat with kill rust also. i wouldn`t waste time with wd40 as it washes off to easy. I`ve been using some stuff called TAC2 adhesive lubricant made by crc sticks like s$%t to a blanket and doesn`t wash off. seems to be going ok so far.

Andrew

honda900
11-06-2009, 04:53 PM
CRC Tac 2 is a motorcycle chain oil.. Works great.. on great the honda, have used it on the rollers as well works good.

Regards
Honda

Gilli
11-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Mate i highly recommend fish oil for a rust preventer once you have done and repaired all of your rust spots on your trailer.

If it were me, i'd replace any rusted/rusty bolts or nuts, sand back any rust patches on the frame itself, give it a coat with kill rust then spray every crack and crevise of the trailer with fishoil and let the trailer dry for 2 or so days. It will dry a hell of a lot quicker in the sun and the best part of using fishoil is that when water hits the trailer, it simply beads off so it lowers the amount of hosing needed when washing your trailer.

White Pointer
11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Hi Guys

As a new boat owner can you please help with the following queries.

1) I'm replacing some of the pop rivets that secure my boat cover tie downs on my galvanised trailer, should I prime the rivet holes on the trailer with a primer before riveting the tie downs back onto the trailer - if so what should I use.

2) There are some light spots of rust on the trailer, can I just spray these spots with something or do I need to sand back to metal and repaint?

3) The Winch bolts also have a bit of rust - is it ok to spray with wd40 or should I use something else?

Thanks for the help

Andrew

G'day Andrew,

I'm going to ask you lots of questions so we know what we're dealing with. Hope you don't mind.

Are you a new boat owner of an old boat or a new boat owner of an new boat?

Reason: If it's a new boat-motor-trailer (BMT) talk to the selling dealer about warranty.

If it's an older BMT, can you give us an idea of how old? (Reason: Some things just wear out)

What kind (metal type) and size are the rivets? Have they rusted out or broken? (Reason: Aluminium rivets should never the used near galvanised metals, but they often are because they are easy to work. Galvanised rivets are not hot dip - they are "flash-gal" and they will give up in time. Before they do they will start corrosion in their hole. That enlarges the hole and you may have to redrill to a new standard rivet size. After drilling coat liberally with "cold gal". Marine grade stainless is best but also incompatible with gal so you need to use a marine sealant like TEFGEL or equivalent.

The light rust you describe is presumably on the outside surfaces. Is it around clamp fittings or welds? (Reason: If clamps are loose they work metal to metal and start a rust problem. Every clamp on a trailer should be released each 6-months, greased and retighted. If it's around welds it is likely that the rust inside is far worse than the outside. If so, start saving.)

Winch bolts with a bit of rust are cactus and the winch cable may not be too good either. Buy new galvanised bolts, nuts and washers and run the nuts down the bolts to the head to clean the threads. Coat the bolt threads liberally with lanoline grease and put it back together. Pull the winch cable off the drum and carefully inspect for kinks that have spread the strands and broken strands. If you find any junk it and start again. When you feed the new or old cable back onto the winch wear a heavy glove with a wad of lanoline grease in it and use your gloved hand to act like a guide feeding the cable in even tight layers. It wont rust and it won't bind. If you have a strap winch I've just wasted yours and my time.

Have fun!

White Pointer

Fishmatics
12-06-2009, 01:38 PM
thanks for the replies!

White Pointer

Here goes with my answers

The trailer is second hand 2001 model.

The rivets are fairly big ones - as I said I'm a newbie - i will need to drill a slightly bigger whole to accommodate the new rivet!I have supplied stainless steel rivets to replace the existing ones, are these ok?

Some have broken off and where there are remaining holes a bit of rust is present

the rust is mostly a light rust on the surface near the back of the trailer, no rust present at the joints.

Thanks for help!

Regards
andrew

White Pointer
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
thanks for the replies!

White Pointer

Here goes with my answers

The trailer is second hand 2001 model.

The rivets are fairly big ones - as I said I'm a newbie - i will need to drill a slightly bigger whole to accommodate the new rivet!I have supplied stainless steel rivets to replace the existing ones, are these ok?

Some have broken off and where there are remaining holes a bit of rust is present

the rust is mostly a light rust on the surface near the back of the trailer, no rust present at the joints.

Thanks for help!

Regards
andrew

G'day,

A 2001 model trailer has a bit left in it yet, if it is maintained.

I would prefer to use galvanised rivets on a gal trailer but if you want the extra strength of SS, well and good. Make sure they are marine grade SS. Also, make sure you use lots of TEFGEL or equivalent to totally seal the rivets inside and out - critical. Don't expect to put SS rivets in with a hand rivetter. You will just break it and yourself trying. You will need an air-compressor and air-rivet gun.

The rust in the holes is to be expected. It comes from incompatible metals and inadequate sealing. A suggestion later!

Wire brush the surface rust. If you can't get back to clean unpitted metal with the brush use some wet and dry paper (wet) until it's bright and shiny. Dry thoroughly and then coat liberally with cold gal spreading it as far again as the patch you are working on.

Suggestion: It would seem that the previous owner drilled the trailer chassis to fit the boat cover and to make it very neat. Drilling hot-dip gal is never a good idea, especially where salt water is involved. I suggest that you reverse engineer and take all the fittings off the trailer, clean them and lay on lots of cold gal. Fix the cover with rope by just looping it around the chassis rails. Not quite as pretty but, hey, who wants to work on a trailer when there are fish to be caught?

Regards,

White Pointer