PDA

View Full Version : Job Half Done

ON-THE-CHEW
10-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Went for a quick trip yesterday, had the boat getting a warrantly claim getting done and picked it up at 8 am. Was on the water by 9.30 and decided to head to the sevens, forecast was 10-15 with swell 4 feet at 4 seconds(we thought the 4 seconds must have been an error).

Headed out on a pretty flat bay then headed out through a pretty flat bar, and a slower then normal trip out to the sevens. First drop, on the retrieve got smashed, thought it was another bloody mack tuna until started getting a few decent head shakes. Just saw colour and then a huge shark decided it was an easy feed. After quickly checking my pants, as I was leaning over the boat to see the fish when the shark hit it we had a green job fish head in the boat which would have easily been a couple of kilos. Spewing as it would have been a really good joby. Next drop same thing nothing near the bottom, hit on the retrieve again but this time it was a bloody mack tuna but boated him.

Had a couple more drifts for nothing so I thought I would give the big popping combo a go. On the second cast, on my retrieve I saw a shark that would have easily been 8 foot tailing the popper so I wound it as fast as I could and got the popper back in the boat. Then as all idiots would do that just enjoy testing their gear I gave it another cast, thinking it would be cool to hook it but not so fun the fight that would follow.

The very next cast out launched this shark smashing my popper, I quickly got into the "I am about to feel a lot of pain position" and he bit me off. Awesome strike but $50 popper good bye, but next second up she pops and we drive over and pick her up (with the net of course).

By now the wind was really starting to pick up and the swell was actually 4 seconds apart (shit) so we decided to head over to the group and point lookout but it was just blowing straight down the beach. We decided to head home, was much longer then normal, it was like doing a bar crossing the whole way back to the bar with the swell so close together.

The bar was flat as and so was the rest of the trip through the bay except the bermuda triangle between peel and cleveland point which some how no matter what the conditions are is always shittier then any where else in the bay.

Still good to be out in the boat, would have been good to get the whole jobby. But will always remember 4 second swell and wind that probably got up to 25 knots is pretty shit.

Andrew

Fish_gutz
11-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Theres still nearly a fillet or two on that jobby! would have been a good fish if left alone by the noah! hope you got your radio and any other dramas all sorted. best of luck on the next adventure.

Andrew

jtpython
11-06-2009, 06:54 AM
That would have been a good jobbie too add in the esky.
Always fun to lose a expensive lure
JT

nickstock
11-06-2009, 11:15 AM
What an absolute horse of a jobbie it would have been mate!

Pitty about the bloody sharks, we lost what would have been a new PB Trout right at the boat on the weekend by a monster Spanish. The piece of trout we ended up with was over 4kgs and 52cms.

Thanks for the report mate, sounds like some bumpy conditions!

Nick

Peter4
11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
except the bermuda triangle between peel and cleveland point which some how no matter what the conditions are is always shittier then any where else in the bay

LOL Andrew,

It always gets me how the meeting of wind and current chops up this area. The rest of the bay can be smooth as glass but the 'bermuda triangle' always tests the softness of your seats!

Often come in with a bruised bum!;D

Regs

Pete

Pistol_P
11-06-2009, 01:05 PM
;D ;D ...Another popper goooone..!!

What did you lose..?

Pete

Stroadman
11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I don't think he lost it Ninja man, you might have to read his post again.
Bad luck on the green fish, they are great eating. Decent size too.

Heretic.

jarhead
11-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Short but interesting trip Andrew, shame about the jobby would have been a cracker.

Wal

twotins
11-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Bloody noahs always take the best bit at least he gave your lure back ha classic. Cheers.

popgun19
11-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Better luck next time. Can you please advise which website you use for your swell reports, would be appreciated.

ON-THE-CHEW
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
Pete,
Yah got the popper back, just floated up to the surface not long after the strike, but we were not putting our hands overboard to pick it up. Deckies job with the net :)

popgun19,
Seabreaze.com.au - wind direction and strength, swell and distance apart as well as tide times
Waver rider boy on the bom web page gives you swell average, max and distance apart.
Bouy weather gives roughly the same info

Over the three you should get a pretty good idea on what is going on. But as with all weather predictions not 100% accurate.

Andrew