PDA

View Full Version : Quick red trip with a special visitor

Fisher4life
10-06-2009, 06:27 PM
With the esky still loaded up with some fresh strip baits from saturday, we headed back out wide of townsville at gentleman's hour on sunday morning.

Got to the boat ramp at around 9.30 and had a half hour jog back to the pontoon after finding a car park miles away from the ramp. Once we stuck our nose out of ross ck we were greeted with flat sea's all the way to the reef.

Pulled up at the reef and noticed the pro's were there, with about 6 dories working the reef, and i'm presuming they must have been there for a while. In 3hrs of working some very good ground (which reliably produces the fish) we only managed were a few red throat and a couple of undersized trout. With that we moved out into the deeper waters to look for some fish, hoping for reds.

Found some likely territory and the first drop we managed triple hook up on reds. over the next couple of hours we filled the esky with large mouth nannagi to 7kg, reds to 12kg, some spangles and rosy job fish.

As Dark approached, the bite stopped but we persisited trying to get the last 4 reds for our limit. Sharks moved in and stretched our arms so our hopes were fading of getting any more reds. A quick double hook up produced another 2 reds and the next drop had my new Saragosa screaming as i hooked upto something with big headshakes. I called it for another big red, and was expecting it to be the best for the trip, yet once i got it to the mid water a big shark grabbed it and i couldn't stop the shark. I locked the drag up and held on for dear life yet i couldn't turn this shark around. I was expecting to get spooled as my arms were aching and i had to back the drag off because i was scared the rod was going to get pulled from my grasps. I was praying for a knot to break or the hook to straighten and eventually the shark bit through the fish and i brought up the head of a GT still weighing around 7.5kg.

We called it a night and headed back for the ramp, arriving at midnight with 2 full esky's and having travelled around 300km

Fisher4life
10-06-2009, 06:31 PM
During the night we had a very inquisitive visitor circle the boat numerous times, give the motor a kiss and even come up for a pat.

jarhead
10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Awesome reds mate, very nice.

Wal

JayT
10-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Sh!t yeah, thats awesome!!
Love the Reds an Nanni's too...
Top job boys:)
Cheers Jay

Scalem
10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
A little diferent to fishing in a small glass boat in Moreton bay;), you must have had a ball.

Scalem

twotins
10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Top shelf stuff there fish looks like awsom conditions too. Cheers.

dfox
10-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Great reds mate, those whale sharks love rubbing outboards, great pics ... foxy

Apollo
10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Fish good, visitor priceless. Well done fellas

whatscracken
10-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Awesome trip mate, pity about the sharks

scoota
10-06-2009, 09:12 PM
That is some awsome fishing and to top it off with a whale shark for a pat;)

How good is that!

Would like to meet a whale shark one day

Scoota...

Spot82
10-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Sounds like an awesome trip mate, well done on the reds gotta be happy with that! All these ppl catching lots of reds is giving me that RED FEVER!!!

Anthony

skipalong
10-06-2009, 09:24 PM
great shots guys

justin

Fish_gutz
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Even if i caught nothing the big visitor would have made the trip for me, well done and congrats on the red ones! Thanks for the report

Andrew

jtpython
11-06-2009, 06:51 AM
That would have been something
Congrates awesomes reds
JT

finding_time
11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Great pics of the Whale shark !!! It truely is special when things like that happen!

Ian

nickstock
11-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Great work mate,

Good to see the new Saragosa getting a solid work out!

Top photos and report mate,

Nick

Daintreeboy
11-06-2009, 07:49 PM
terrible fishing, abosolutley terrible. May I ahve those GPS marks please?

;);)::)

Dicko
11-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Must of been neat to have a Whale Shark drop in like that. Good stuff.

jaredluke
11-06-2009, 10:42 PM
What kind of gear do you use for that style of fishing?

Fisher4life
12-06-2009, 08:33 AM
A little diferent to fishing in a small glass boat in Moreton bay;), you must have had a ball.

Scalem

Yeah Scalem it was good fun, absolutely loving the fishing north Qld has to offer!

i'm still waiting to see a offshore report from you in your new boat.

Great reds mate, those whale sharks love rubbing outboards, great pics ... foxy

Thanks Foxy, the reds aren't quite up to the quality you guys are getting down there tho...

Fish good, visitor priceless. Well done fellas

Yeah thanks Apollo, that Whale shark alone made the trip worth while, the reds were just an added bonus

Sounds like an awesome trip mate, well done on the reds gotta be happy with that! All these ppl catching lots of reds is giving me that RED FEVER!!!

Anthony

The Reds seem to be really on the chew at the moment, it's great, the freezer has never looked so healthy!

Great work mate,

Good to see the new Saragosa getting a solid work out!

Top photos and report mate,

Nick

Nick, The saragosa handled the deepwater reds and sharks well, i was very impressed with the strength of the reel, and the power of the drag.

Cheers
Josh

Fisher4life
12-06-2009, 10:00 AM
What kind of gear do you use for that style of fishing?

I mainly use a diawa saltist 40LW with a 10-15kg rod and 60lb braid with 100lb leader, and recently just purchased a shimano saragosa 14000 loaded with 60lb braid and matched up to a berkley 10-24kg drop shot rod.

Some of the other reels that are used on board are shimano torium's and TLD25's

Reefmaster
12-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Well done some great fishing there. Love the pics of the whale shark that's just awesome.

Cheers,
Greg