PDA

View Full Version : Boyne Tannum Hook Up 2009

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
10-06-2009, 07:28 AM
How was everyone's weekend at this year's "Hook Up"?
Is there any cool stories to share? The weather was near perfect, so I reckon there would be a few yarns floating about.
My partner Katie and I had a great weekend, camped out under the stars, and fished hard during the days.
Cheers, :)
Johnny Mitchell

Andrew M
10-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Gday Johnny, had another good weekend up at Boyne, although the fish were a bit scarce. Arrived about 1000 on Thursday & headed into Gladstone with Gareth to check out his new Trout boat, it has always been out working on my recent trips up there. Sorted out the bait requirments & collected a few boxes of prawns straight from the back of the trawler. slipped the prawns into the blast freezer on Gareths boat & headed home via the pub. Headed out to sea early Friday morning, a bit lumpy but not too bad, spent time checking a few areas around the Twelve Mile & then headed out to Tullarook, ended up with a mixed bag of Sweetlip, Trout, & Reddys, enough for a feed. Saturday was a pearler, glassy water & sunshine but no fish, worked hard all day for one Trout & one Nannygai.
Had a lazy day Sunday , spent some time up at the Lillys tossing lures, but no fish. Headed down to the draw on Sunday arvo, what a crowd, I saw you briefly at the bar but you were busy, caught up with Fitzy for a quick chat. I think the bloke who missed out on the boat was a bit hard done by, lucky he had not come straight out of the rum tent all tanked up, could have been interesting.
All in all another good weekend at the Hook Up.

Cheers Andrew

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
10-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Thanks,
It sounded like you had an interesting time of it. The weather can make the buggers turn fickle. You weren't the only angler who struggled to get fiish on Saturday. There were plenty of tales of woe regarding that day/night. On Saturday morning I realised that something was a miss, so we pulled the pin on the spanish quite early and saved our remaining baits for the afternoon session. Nice boat, that one of Gareth's. It would be a great mother ship next year,,,,,,hehe.
The bar, I never really left that area for long on Sunday afternoon/evening. The crowd was giant, so it was impossible to take a few wobbly steps without bumping into more people that I knew. The atmosphere is always great, plenty of chit chat and stories to tell. I managed to make it back into the creek/ramp on Sunday with about 1-2 litres of fuel spare. It's cutting it fine I know, but when ya know ya boat, motor and fuel burning capacity; you can do those things in calm weather.
I couldn't hear the final draw from up the back, but I suppose, rules are rules. The crowd left in a hurry after that.
Johnny

Andrew M
10-06-2009, 06:41 PM
You must have ESP, we were only discussing taking Gareth's boat next year. Hoefully it will all come together, it has been a long time since I spent any time with him at sea. Well done on the Mack by the way, thats anoyher species I am yet to catch.

Cheers Andrew

Plastic_Magic
10-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Hi Johnny,

Yeah mate was a good weekend. Very busy it is growing every year. WEll done to katie for the mackeral. Yeh had tafe on friday so that ruled me out but we headed out saturday morning ealry to a ramp packed at turkey beach. Headed out wide around sykes area to a firing spot just as we pulled up. pulled so good fish while they were feeding but that soon changed with the tide. Fishes wide of the shelf with awsome shows of fish but no luck. Fished around for mackys on saturday morning only to find zilch actiona around a few bommies we troll. Slept in the Fitzroy saturday night with about 27 boats with the same idea. Wind picked up saturday night with a roungh sunday morning a few fish started coming back on the bite. All in all a great weekend. Didnt see you guys at all over the weekend. I was keen for a chat but its like finding a needle in a hay stack at the place during the draws. Anyway have u been fishing the dam at all laterly havnt seen much of you around out this way?

Cheers Lachy