PDA

View Full Version : Seajay 4.55m Haven sports / Honda 50 - cavitation

mr percival
09-06-2009, 10:11 PM
I have a Sea Jay 4.55m Haven Sports (side console) and am having problems with motor cavititaion. I have a Honda 50hp fitted but cant seem to eliminate the cavitation unless the motor is trimmed right hard down. This unfortunately isnt so good when running in some chop and you want the bow up a little.
I have tried both 13 and 14" pitch props but without success. Was wondeing if any others run this boat motor combination and have had similar problems. The transom of these boats is reasonable high (one of the reasons for buying it) so am wondering if prop isnt getting suitable depth. thanks

BaitThrower
10-06-2009, 03:03 AM
Sounds like motor set up too high. Can you drop it a notch easily?

finga
10-06-2009, 07:13 AM
A picture would help.

mr percival
10-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Baitthrower, thanks for reply, unfortunatly the motor is set at the lowest notch already, not a lot of scope for modifying the transom either without getting pretty serious. The rig is stored 3 hours away, so a little difficult to get a picture right now, but will try to post later.

GBC
10-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Have you still got the original honda ally prop to benchmark against?

Noelm
10-06-2009, 02:50 PM
cavitation/ventilation can be caused by a couple of things, one being Motor too high (hard to fix in your case) incorrect prop, easy to fix with dealer help, some sort of stuff up at installation, also easy to fix if you can find what and get the dealer to fix it, something dodgey with the hull, hard to fix without dealer support, plus a couple of other things as well, but they are the most common. in any case, it is no good, the dealer needs to put it right, do not start fitting fins/foils yet!! OH and I assume it is a new rig, not second hand?

finga
10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Baitthrower, thanks for reply, unfortunatly the motor is set at the lowest notch already, not a lot of scope for modifying the transom either without getting pretty serious. The rig is stored 3 hours away, so a little difficult to get a picture right now, but will try to post later.
No need to worry too much.
A jacking plate will let it go lower if it needs to go lower.
http://www.marineengine.com/products/accessory.php?in=3428889