PDA

View Full Version : Quintrex Bayhunter Caprice?????

ricehole23
09-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Hi Guys,
Just trying to find out some info on the Bayhunter Caprice (cuddy cab), seen one on boatpoint 97 with a 60 yammie on back. Any info how they ride? Any flaws?
After a good bay boat to fish Peel , Mud & Harries etc

Cheers

Troy

Jeremy
10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
do a search of the boating forum under Quintrex, Telewater and problems, and you should find some info. All the same, a 97 model which has had a bit of use should have shown up any problems with welding, so as long as you get it properly checked, you should be OK.

I am not familiar with the bayhunter caprice, but 60hp sounds a bit on the low side to me???

Jeremy

charleville
10-06-2009, 07:18 PM
I have a 2002 Quintrex Bayhunter Caprice with a 4 stroke 60 HP on the back.

On the basis of the transom weight limits, 60HP in 4 stroke is the maximum size permissable. It has plenty of power for me. I think that they can go to 75 HP in 2 stroke based on the transom weight limits.

I am not sure at what stage the Bayhunters introduced the millenium hull but I can say that my boat performs very well with that hull. It is a very dry boat.

However, you confuse me by saying that the boat is a cuddy cab. I thought that the Bayhunter Caprices are all runabouts as mine is.

I take mine everywhere in the Bay including over to the Tangalooma area and lots of night trips to Mud Island. I love the boat.

gofishin
10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Just trying to find out some info on the Bayhunter Caprice (cuddy cab)...
Troy, I think you will find that someone got the name wrong in the add! A 475 cuddy cab of that era was called a ‘Bay Ranger Caprice’. A 97 model would have the flared bow, but no Millennium hull (stretch-formed bottom sheets). I doubt there would have been any max transom weights at this time either (at least in a 2000 catledog there were none), however I don’t suggest a 75 4/ - way (weigh ;D ) too heavy!

They were a good honest tinny, and like any brand 475 cuddy, rode better than the equivalent c/c (for example) because of the extra weight forward due to the cabin. However, herein lies the potential downfall of any brand small tin cuddy – because they rode better they were pushed harder, and when combined with the drop floor between the bunks (allowing greater cabin comfort), there can be issues...

A drop floor means there are not full width gussets in the cabin area (which takes the most bashing), and when pushed hard continuously the ribs can crack at the ends of the gussets. Lift the bunk boards and inspect the ribs if there are no false floors in the bunks (probably not in this model). If there are, remove them, and the main floor between the bunks too. If all is good here chances are she’s a good boat that’s been treated well. Also, look along the keel and chines (welds both sides of each) for any signs of 're-welds'

...I am not familiar with the bayhunter caprice, but 60hp sounds a bit on the low side to me???...

Jeremy, in those days they were a pretty basic (light) tinny, and a 60 2/ would be ample under most circumstances. Maybe if 3 big blokes were the standard crew, and they always did big trips & caught a lot of fish you would consider a 75 2/ - but then they would need a bigger boat pretty soon8-) .

...On the basis of the transom weight limits, 60HP in 4 stroke is the maximum size permissable...
Not in this model Charlie, but you are right, you wouldn’t want one any bigger.
cheers