PDA

View Full Version : Cardwell M&G Report

Alchemy
09-06-2009, 07:53 PM
Thought I'd start the ball rolling with some fish pics from the weekends m&g.

We fished around Otter Reef Saturday morning and early afternoon before heading wide for the night. We had hoped to find some reds, but the current was running hard and the fish were patchy -- coming in ones and twos very infrequently. Nic and I fished till about 11pm before calling it a night. In the morning Nic caught the only red, and it was a just legal 56cm model. We got molested by sharks and red bass, plus a few other good reefies. I caught the fish titled "What The", and if someone can I.D. it that would be great. It pulled hard but we didn't know what it was so we released it.

From there we headed in toward the reef again without much success so headed back toward Otter. On the way I found some great looking bommies in 35m of water. I thought for sure there would be good trout, but all we managed was a RTE and one trout.

Sunday night was spent at the M&G BBQ. It was great to catch up with everyone and to meet some for the first time. Thanks to Brett and Lyn for doing all the hard work in getting this organised.

dfox
09-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Great to here you had another great time Dave and Nic, in answer to you question about the fish read this ... http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=144517
... foxy

Fish_gutz
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Nice bag of fish and the conditions look nice, can`t help with the ID but will be keen to know, I`m sure some one will have an answer soon. Cheers Andrew

jtpython
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Looking at it have to say yellow spotted Emporer by your pic close up .
But not certian at all .Haven't seen one
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_8973_ENA_HTML.htm

Mate great catch thou. Nice RTE
JT

levinge
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey Dave, We posted the main report for Cardwell on the M&G Going Fishing Section. But looks like you and Nic did alright, the fishing was very patchy and infrequent.

Still have to organise the trip with Alchemy and Hard Livin some time....

levinge
09-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Damn internet speed, accidentally doubled up.

OOPS!!

chop duster
09-06-2009, 09:14 PM
Caught one of these off spur reef late last year. Think JT is right with the Yellow Spotted Emporer too. Chucked him back as well, although it does look as though they are good eating.

megafish71
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Hey Dave, have caught a few of those fish over the years, don't know exactly what they are called. We have always called them bastard emperor, bloody good on the chew.

Ron

Matt_F
10-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Dave,

Good to see you got a feed. The unknown is definitely Lethrinus erythracanthrus. I've never seen one on the GBR but used to see a few up in PNG.

Supprised you didn't get any trout of the deep hang. Was there much bait on it? The fish is going down well over here.

I'm keeping those vacume bags and will send them back when I get a collection.

Also, there seems to be a few red throat around, a few more than usual. I wonder if it is a result of those low pressure systems down south a few weeks back.

Cheers.

Alchemy
10-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info on the odd ball foxy and congratulations on your thumpa red.

Brett, sorry mate. I only checked the original post in that section and when I didn't see anything I decided to kick this one off.

Ron, as I released the odd ball Nic said that we'd be sure to find out it was good on the fang. Bugger! Was a really solid fish too and pulled hard. Think it was close to 5kg.

Matt - thanks for the ID and name, but can you translate that garble to something a layman like me can understand :-/ . The deep hang produced one trout about 55cm and a good rte. It looked really good down there and I'm sure it will produce fish. It just seemed that everything was really slow this particular trip.

Thanks for the other comments.

Regards,
Dave.

-Beefa-
10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
hows things Dave, the old Red Bass hey, I have now become and expert on this species!
Regards Beefa

Matt_F
10-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Not sure about a common name, I guess it depends on where you are from. It's a relative of the red throat and spangled emperor.

BennyJ
12-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey mate ,

I caught a few of those strange looking red throat things well wide of otter reef and up on the self north of cairns , no idea what it is

Alchemy
14-06-2009, 11:28 AM
G'day Beefa. Yes, I followed that post on the red bass. Never mind, s&#t happens. Good to see you're still getting out and posting reports.

Matt, thanks for the info on the odd ball. We guessed it was a mix and even wondered if Chinaman was in there too given the likeness in the head.

BennyJ, thanks. We got that one well wide of Otter too. Judging by the feedback they are an infrequent catch, but a few about too.

Regards,
Dave.

Daintreeboy
14-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes it's a yellow spotted Emperor, an uncommon catch.