PDA

View Full Version : kevlact 5.2 tournament repower

lou reed
09-06-2009, 06:59 PM
hey all got my eyes on a 5.2 kc tournament 1990 model with two stroke 70 yammies on the back , boat is a1 condition for 35000bucks.

Want to do a repower and was wondering which 4 stroke motor would be best suited to the boat.

All opinions would be much appreciated as have to move quick or might miss out........

Luke G
09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
The new light weight suzukis?

boatboy50
09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey,

Do a search. Lots of info on this site.

I'd go the new 90hp Suzuki's or new 60hp Suzukis.

The 60hp Yammies also do a sterling job, as do the mercs.

All 4 strokes of course.

Regards

Darren

Dean1
09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Hi, i repowered my 5.2 recently with yamaha f 60 4 strokes. I went from yamaha 70 2 strokes. I am very happy with them but would like a bit more speed when running a heavy load. Im getting 1.3-1.4 klms/1 litre with a normal load and 1.1- 1.2 with a heavy load at about 23 knots. I thought about the new suzi's but i think they are too heavy for these boats. I wouldnt hesitate recommending these 60's as they are an awsome motor. Hope this helps, cheers Dean.

finding_time
09-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Lou

Mate you basically can go to ways, that's either 60 hp high thrust 4 strokes, which is a very popular way to go and there are about 5 or 6 member on here with this combo. Or you can go for the 90 suki's 4 strokes which get Kittycats boat up and going real well .

What do you want out of your boat? I'm personally happy with my 60's but should you want more top end the 90's will offer this but you'll have to do more mods than just motors. I like you have a 1990 tournament and at present the pods are to small for 90's so you'll need new ones made and hull shaped ones will be prefect for this! Even with this the boat will be alittle @rse heavy imho but Wayne ( kittycat) loves his! 60's are a great motor but top speed is around 30 knots but the upside is only a few mods to your existing pods and the motors are 40 kg lighter a side and there is plenty of advice on here on how to set them up, ask Fromeo! Also your range will be slightly better with the 60's but this may not be important to you!

Ian

Ps even the 90 e-tecs would be an option but there still 30 kg heavier a motor!

cormorant
09-06-2009, 10:08 PM
If motors are reliable , reasonably new , use a good oil and stick with em as they are well suited and not worth a lot 2nd hand so a few extra hundred hours won't change that. You'll use a bit extra fuel but that's Ok compared to other update costs.

What model and hours.

Noelm
10-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I think Cormorant is on the right track, unless the Motors are buggered, why replace them, a 70HP 2 stroke will use bugger all fuel, if you factor in new 4 strokes, it is quite an expensive boat and will take forever to recoup your money, but the whole game changes if they are a bit dickey or in bad shape!

fly_1
10-06-2009, 10:07 AM
I do agree with Noelms thinking, but the fuel difference is quite large. Both my brother and myself have repowered our boats ( a few years ago now) with the 60 high thrust yamahas, and as stated above by Ian, they do a great job, and use bugger all fuel. The difference in fuel between the 70 2 strokes depends on what you do. We do alot of sportfishing, which means running for an hour or so, then trolling for 8-9 hrs, then a run home again, and I can tell you the difference will be around 80-90litres a day!! If you just run out to the banks, throw the pick out and bottom bash all day, I would suggest sticking with the 2 strokes, as although they will use alot more fuel whilst running, you will take a very long time to recoup the difference. As far as performance goes, they are very similiar, although you do have to be alittle careful if crossing bars etc with the 60's, as they dont quite have the 2 stroke punch when you may or maynot need it.
Hope this helps
Trent

Dean1
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
One of the main reasons I went to 4's also was to get away from 2 stroke fumes. When theres 2 of them on the back it used to make me feel crook at times :-[ And range, I can travel alot further nowadays not having to worry about carrying extra fuel. When sounding around, hovering on marks etc the 4's are using next to nothing. And the 4's are so quiet. The f 60's work and they are at an affordable price. And be quick coz that 5.2 wont last if its any good at that price!!!

lou reed
10-06-2009, 07:28 PM
hey guys thanks for the info just a quick one what sort of fuel consumption do you think i would be looking at with the 70 two strokes/

1 litre /km for both motors at a cruise of 23 knots?

Dean1
10-06-2009, 08:18 PM
hey guys thanks for the info just a quick one what sort of fuel consumption do you think i would be looking at with the 70 two strokes/

1 litre /km for both motors at a cruise of 23 knots? Yeah pretty much mate. Cheers

Lovey80
10-06-2009, 09:41 PM
WOW 35K for a good condition boat is a steal. If you dont buy please PM me the details so I can.

Cheers

Chris