PDA

View Full Version : GoldCoast 24s - red throat emperor

Astro
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
Went out for a fish on sunday morning to the 24s off the goldcoast, we hit the water around 6am and the fishing was very slow, we changed spots about 10 times with little return, some spots not even producing a bite. We ended up with 1 squire, 1 red throat emeror to our suprise? (both just over 40, so not very big) and 3 scorpion cod (and some anoying sargent baker's)

We also got a smaller red throat around 37cm that went back, we thought this was very stange as we have been fishing the 24's for 22 years and we have never seen a red throat in this area before? Has anyone else caught this fish off the goldcoast?

We also caught the brunt of the storm, almost all of the boats bar two charter's waited it out, was very interesting for 15min holding on for dearlife, anyone else get stuck in the storm?

matt__hill
08-06-2009, 04:08 PM
we got some down around the 9 mile a few weeks back very weird indeed

rosco1974
08-06-2009, 06:06 PM
mate i was at the northern 24 just b4 the storm front come through...definatly blew for a bit and a bit wild really...glad everybody out there seemed to cope with it ok.
cheers rosco

FISHAWN
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
anyone else get stuck in the storm?

hehe yep, was in a tinny too on the 24's at southport, watched about 10 boats race back in as it started to hit, but no way was i going to drive straight into it, the rain was coming down that hard it stung.

rosco1974
08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
hey fishawn was that you in the little centre console with 5 blokes fishin..
cheers rosco

Astro
08-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah it did hurt when the rain hit you, cant beleive how fast it come towards us, one second you can see the whole of goldcoast, next it just disapeared and went all black. I guess it was lucky the swell was small, wouldnt like to image what it would have been like with 2-3m.......................

did any of you guys get anything decent? pickings are slim off the coast these days.

Scalem
08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Astro, what techniques did you use? Bait? lures? Plastics? Hope conditions get better soon, want to do a trip off the seaway soon. Thanks for the report

Scalem

Astro
09-06-2009, 07:18 AM
I was on soft plastics, and the other two on pillies and squid, the squire and emeror fell on the pillie's and the scorpion cod on the plastics.

FISHAWN
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM
hey fishawn was that you in the little centre console with 5 blokes fishin..
cheers rosco

ROSCO,

Nah just fishing with my mate in a 4.3 / tiller steer. Managed to get a couple of squire, trag, and a nice tailor. Went back out again early yesty for a couple of hrs and got a pearl perch which was just underize and also a nice squire which went 47cm.