PDA

View Full Version : Wide and Deep

finding_time
07-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Last Wednesday night and Thursday Mark( Thunderbird) and i fished some new ground around 70 km's Se of Mooloolaba the conditions were less than ideal and there was only one other car and trailer at the ramp so we had the ocean pretty much to ourselves. Wednesday night was very uncomfortable with a good NE wind blowing and this also may have been the reason we only had 1 fish in the box!!!! Wednesday morning started with a big down pour then the south easterly came in and the fish started bitting there heads off:D The snaps arrived first and after a move or 2 we got onto some XXXL pearlies and Bar cod on a little ledge that was holding really good shows. The Kingies made a pest of themselves all day, now i enjoy catching a kingfish but when your dropping baits down 200m+ chasing pearlies and bar cod it's hard enough but battling a kingie all the way to the surface is a pain in the butt!!! We bagged on great pearlies and in the end the kingies wore us out and we left with them chewing only keeping 3 of the 20- 25 we dragged up from the depths that day! The run home was A1 with the hole in the weather finally arriving as we decided to leave:-[ all in all a great trip with a full ice box and some great new area's to spend time in the future!

Ian

Ps I have a new favorite fish in the eating stakes, you can keep your reds and trout, i'll have Bar cod any day!!! ;)

PPs. Anyone know what a good brand of electric reel, it been 4 days and the shoulders are still hurting!

jtpython
07-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Not Wrong horse pearlies. Great effort mate ............ Try EBay i seen some on there couple months ago
Goodluck JT
Typical of the weather gods

Dean1
07-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah they are awsome pearlies Ian I see what you mean!

I just got back from 1770 we did pretty good. Was very slow out wide the first day but we managed to put a good mixed bag in the box in the end. I need some tips with the winch I had pretty bad form with it.

Call you tomorow mate if your on air.

Cheers, Deano.

-spiro-
07-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Nice pearlies there Ian....that would be a hard slog pulling them poofters up..

skipalong
08-06-2009, 06:36 AM
awesome pearls ian there a tough slog to the top at that xos

TimiBoy
08-06-2009, 07:00 AM
200 meters Ian? Too much hard work I reckon! Still, those fish are nice, maybe one day...

Cheers,

Tim

Vitamin Sea
08-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice one Ian, top pearlies.

Know what you mean about kings in deep water, pulled a couple from 130 metres at SWR a couple of years ago, hard work.
The pearlies would have been hard enough to get up:P

The Bar Cod are certainly a prize, one day....

Cheers

Bill

kercus
08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
Ian,
What are Bar Cod ? Do they have other names ? I've checked Grant's and can't find them. I'd appreciate any info.

kercus8-)

Vitamin Sea
08-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Ian,
What are Bar Cod ? Do they have other names ? I've checked Grant's and can't find them. I'd appreciate any info.

kercus8-)

here you go

www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/barcod.htm (http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/barcod.htm)

and

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/sw-species/bar-cod (http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/saltwater/sw-species/bar-cod)

Cheers

finding_time
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks Bill your a faster googler than i am!:D

GBC
08-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Harden up ya big girl.... didn't you use the deck winch?;) Where's the pics of these big ones?
God bless those midwater kingies - just when you think you're half way back up ..........

murf
08-06-2009, 12:08 PM
top stuff Ian

I would have to upgrade the TLD15 to fish that depth haha

one day I will get out in the deep with someone with the right gear :)

its only about 25/30km out to the Bar Cod grounds down here but without the right gear its not worth the trip

cheers Murf

kercus
08-06-2009, 01:13 PM
Ian,
:) Thanks for the info re Bar Cod . Very good eating under 4 or 5kg apparently.
Cheers,

kercus

Lucky_Phill
08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Ian, you and Roota look like ya been 3 days without sleep ???? Then again, Mark always looks like that :P ;) ;D ;D

I got a pic from Buggy saturday night.... were you out at that spot again or is he going deep by himself ?????

How many of those rigs did you end up losing ??

Cheers

onerabbit
08-06-2009, 04:24 PM
What depth were you catching pearlies in ????? surely not 200 mtrs.

I have also heard of Bar Cod being called Grey Bar Cod...............

As for 4-5 kg being the best to eat..............I have to thumb my nose.....these are juveniles, and nowhere as good as the fish in the 10-15 kg range.

Bar Cod are one of the best eating fish in Southern waters, & second only to fresh Coral Trout.

No speciality gear required, just make sure you have your weeties before you go

Muzz

finding_time
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Muzz

Mate it was one of your earlier posts that inspired this trip! And we were planning on fishing much deeper ( 300 to 400m) but happened across a great show on the way there ! Yep the pearlies were in that depth and came up with a real black sheen to them. Well be heading back for sure, maybe later this week! As far as the eating quality goes, there great, fantastic even as good as trout and i've eaten plenty of fresh trout! It's a pure white flakey flesh which stays very moist during cooking!Excellent! Our biggest was only around 8kgs but i'm sure there were bigger ones around we just had trouble getting through the kingy's!:(

ian

Ps Phill

Do you like the look of my left eye? During the trip out i went to stick it out through the front clears to see where we were in relation to the Cape, well at the exact same time we it a sharp one square on and my eye met the grab rail above the windscreen in a rather violent way!!!! @#%#%#^$&%&%* it hurt and bled alot for about 15min:-[ , didn't pass out though:o

Fishbait
08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Great session - I don't feel sorry for your shoulders though (or maybe I'm just jealous that you got some nice big fish). Nice report - Never fished that deep ever myself before. All the best for your next trip. Stay safe out wide there - sounds like a long way out. Cheers, darren.

Vitamin Sea
08-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Hey Ian

Out of interest, what sort of gear were you using and what bait?

cheers

Bill

finding_time
08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
We had a reefking deck winch with platapus 200lb braid and just a tyrnos 20 with 50 lb braid using a paternoster with 10/0 circles , glow beeds and a glow stick on top of the whole rig. were were using a 24 oz sinker on the rod and about a 8lb sinker on the deckwinch! ;)

Oh yeh Mullet!;)

murf
08-06-2009, 07:32 PM
We had a reefking deck winch with platapus 200lb braid and just a tyrnos 20 with 50 lb braid using a paternoster with 10/0 circles , glow beeds and a glow stick on top of the whole rig. were were using a 24 oz sinker on the rod and about a 8lb sinker on the deckwinch! ;)

Oh yeh Mullet!;)

are you serious.......... 8lb sinker OMG I whinge when my sinker gets bigger than a pea haha thats bigger than most fish I catch haha

as for 400m deep my TLD would :) run dry long before that ;D

cheers Murf

GBC
08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Do you like the look of my left eye? During the trip out i went to stick it out through the front clears to see where we were in relation to the Cape, well at the exact same time we it a sharp one square on and my eye met the grab rail above the windscreen in a rather violent way!!!! @#%#%#^$&%&%* it hurt and bled alot for about 15min:-[ , didn't pass out though:o

All those trips we did in the outsider worrying about copping a mouthfull of screen and you go and do it in a magic carpet ride cat???:P

finding_time
08-06-2009, 08:04 PM
All those trips we did in the outsider worrying about copping a mouthfull of screen and you go and do it in a magic carpet ride cat???:P

Gbc

Mate in the Outsider you never would have been brave enough to attempt a look out through the clears in the rough stuff!!;) It's actually a testament to the incredible ride of the cat that i felt safe enough to attempt to stick my head out there to have a gander at the Cape!:) it is also totally apparent that the big guy upstairs has a sense of humor and loves sticking it to cocky cat owners!!!!:P :P ;D

ian

GBC
08-06-2009, 08:54 PM
I've gotta say mate I've never known anyone get more hurt than you while fishing - hooks, blue bottle tentacles on the eyeballs, blood, squashed bits, fish bits in your bits.........
I think its just between him(upstairs) and you and its got nuthin to do with which boat you're on.
Any goats near your place?:P

snelly1971
08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
Last Wednesday night and Thursday Mark( Thunderbird) and i fished some new ground around 70 km's Se of Mooloolaba the conditions were less than ideal and there was only one other car and trailer at the ramp so we had the ocean pretty much to ourselves. Wednesday night was very uncomfortable with a good NE wind blowing and this also may have been the reason we only had 1 fish in the box!!!! Wednesday morning started with a big down pour then the south easterly came in and the fish started bitting there heads off:D The snaps arrived first and after a move or 2 we got onto some XXXL pearlies and Bar cod on a little ledge that was holding really good shows. The Kingies made a pest of themselves all day, now i enjoy catching a kingfish but when your dropping baits down 200m+ chasing pearlies and bar cod it's hard enough but battling a kingie all the way to the surface is a pain in the butt!!! We bagged on great pearlies and in the end the kingies wore us out and we left with them chewing only keeping 3 of the 20- 25 we dragged up from the depths that day! The run home was A1 with the hole in the weather finally arriving as we decided to leave:-[ all in all a great trip with a full ice box and some great new area's to spend time in the future!

Ian

Ps I have a new favorite fish in the eating stakes, you can keep your reds and trout, i'll have Bar cod any day!!! ;)

PPs. Anyone know what a good brand of electric reel, it been 4 days and the shoulders are still hurting!

Hi Ian, You should change the Heading ....Wide , Yep...Deep...You old PUSSY....Thats no deep, we have bars here deeper than that...LOL...Miya Epoch are the best Electric Reels...an X5, or X4 would suit your needs perfect...Solas sell them, but I have purchased a few from Japan on ebay rather cheap..

Mick

finding_time
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
Well mick we were heading for the 400m line but there were just to many shows on the sounder to ignore!!! No point in driving over fish to catch other fish!

ian

kitty_cat
09-06-2009, 07:21 AM
very nice ian,
great to be fishing some were thats not likley to have a bait dropped there before
yeh the epochs a good but i dont think they have the quality of the diawa tacarom bull and but 450mtrs will pull the diawa up as far s line capacity and that is using 80pd if you want 200pd you will have to look at the x9 , mate just brought on on line for $900.00 bargain.
wayne

snelly1971
09-06-2009, 11:53 AM
very nice ian,
great to be fishing some were thats not likley to have a bait dropped there before
yeh the epochs a good but i dont think they have the quality of the diawa tacarom bull and but 450mtrs will pull the diawa up as far s line capacity and that is using 80pd if you want 200pd you will have to look at the x9 , mate just brought on on line for $900.00 bargain.
wayne
Dont know where you get that daiwa has a better quality than Miya Epoch, They have been used commercailly for over thirty years. I would personally compare Miya epoch as the rolls royce of electric reels

Mick

siegfried
09-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I have a TB 1000 and an epoch x8, epoch is twice the reel with 120 lb braid you can fish up to 700m. when condditions allow .

sea-rash
09-06-2009, 02:27 PM
I've gotta say mate I've never known anyone get more hurt than you while fishing - hooks, blue bottle tentacles on the eyeballs, blood, squashed bits, fish bits in your bits.........
I think its just between him(upstairs) and you and its got nuthin to do with which boat you're on.
Any goats near your place?:P

Jonesy

Far be it for me to throw stones from a glass house but at least he did not go to hospital for a bait jig injury!

onerabbit
09-06-2009, 06:49 PM
ou old PUSSY....Thats no deep, we have bars here deeper than that.

yeah .....they are called Safe passages......

we have bars that you can walk across at low tide

snelly1971
09-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Gee:-X:-X Some people just cant take a JOKE:o:o:o

Lighten Up:-/:-/

Mick

snelly1971
09-06-2009, 07:39 PM

PS....LOL....for those who are a little slow...means Laugh out LOUD

onerabbit
10-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Nice to see you havent lost your sence of humour Mick,

Muzz