PDA

View Full Version : Project "Cherry Certate"

flairj
07-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I have had a couple of Certates 2000's now for about 3 years and they get plenty of use on both Bream and Bass. Through the course of that time they have both lost a fair bit of paint around the T section from being put into upright rod holders in the boat (the tube kind that have a slot running vertically down which I know are crap but are the only kind I can fit in my boat). This was a bit of a disappointment as the paint didn't rub or scratch off but rather kind of peeled off to the base metal which for a reel as expensive as they are, was a bit on the average side. So after seeing plenty of baitcasters being painted I figured I would dive in the deep end and try to paint a spinning reel.

A lot of the inspiration and then tips came from Mick (alphas) so a bit of credit has to go to him. Now that I am almost done I do wish I had taken more photos through out the project but you can imagine what the pieces look like bare metal, primed, painted and clear coated.

Step one was taking the existing paint off. This was done with a cheap orbital tool bought from Bunnings for $40 (which will come in handy for many other things when it comes to reels). At first I tried the soft brush like attachment thinking that the wire would be too harsh. It did nothing, so I went to the wire attachment and was in business......... that is until the cheap wire attachment started to come apart and fling small pieces of wire everywhere. Off to Bunnings for a "Dremel" brand wire brush and away we go. The paint around the area it was coming off went with ease leaving perfect bare metal and looked like a "vintage custom" Certate you see on the Jap sites but once I got to the sides of the reel, both the detatching side plate and the side attached to the foot, it got much harder and it was clear other means were necessary to prep the surface. To keep this kind of short, there was a lot of hand sanding with wet/dry 1200 grit paper. The main body and side plate were ok. The bail arm pivot and anti reverse switch were easy enough. However, the spool rotor and drag knob were a bitch. The spool rotor being the biggest hassle at every stage of the project. I had to nearly destroy the drag knob in order to do it. There are two screws that hold a gunmetal silver bar on top and to simply paint the whole thing would have looked crap. I tried everything but getting to the screws was too hard for me and the schematic lists it as one piece. So I had to take the orbital tool and "engrave" away enough room to get a tiny screwdriver in and undo them. After that the knob was easy.

Spool rotor: the bain of my life. Because it is curved on every surface and there is only maybe 6 - 7 mm between the arms of the rotor and the main body it was an incredible pain to prep for painting. The big problem being that it is the most visible piece probably more important than the side plates to get right. Getting enough primer, paint and clear in between the arms and body without putting too much on the outside of the arms and "orange peeling" it was tough and I just had to take it really slow.

After prepping the reel it sat for a month or so due to a combination of rainy humid weather and actual time to do it. So, first was the colour choice. I didn't want to go too bright as I think that usually make reels look cheaper. I wanted a colour that Daiwa didn't already use very much and I especially didn't want to make the same mistake Mick did at first and paint an expensive reel a colour that would make people mistake it for a cheaper reel (Mick painted his Steez a colour of blue at first, until someone said "add a twitching bar and you have the worlds most expensive Viento" ) :P . So, one of the least used colours from Daiwa is red with and the Fuego's being a fairly light brighter shade I decided I want blood red.

I went to Autobarn and looked at the swatches and settled on a colour that was as close as I could get. The best part was that everything I bought was the same brand and I knew they would be compatible (another pitfall Mick helped me avoid). The etch primer, the 100mls of acrylic paint, the tin of high gloss acrylic thinners and the clear topcoat were all K & H brand and I'm told that it is a decent brand (I'll let you know for sure in a few months). I was wanting to get two pack clear for the top but it would have been $40 as it was only sold in larger tins. When the guy was mixing the paint I had him put about three or four times the amount of sparkle stuff in the paint for extra effect. I was very lucky and the guy behind the counter was someone I went to school with and hadn't seen in 15 years. He and his family own the place and I got everything I needed for $26 :D

This is where Mick and I split a bit. He had his paint pressurised in a can in store which is around $30 I believe. Rather than get paint and clear in cans for $60 I went to Supercheap Auto and bought one of the general purpose airbrush sets they sell. I would have bought the professional set but it didn't come with all the hoses I needed and the general would be fine for cover work on the reel. I wanted the pro because I would use it for painting lures too. I have had a bit of experience with an airbrush as I used to make and sell lures for a while but they are pretty easy.

In total I put on two coats of etch primer and left them to dry for 24 hours ans sanded them back a little with 1200 wet/dry. Then I put 4 coats of the cherry colour on and left it 24 hours between each coat and sanded back any imperfections. The etch primer I did from a can and this was the only time though the whole painting process that I put too much on and got some orange peel going and had to sand it back pretty hard (which is part of the reason it got 2 coats of etch primer). The paint out of the airbrush was great and I felt like I had a lot of control. Also, the paint out of the airbrush touch dries very quickly which stops dust and crap in the air from settling on the wet paint. the only problem I had throughout the paint part was that the colour looked nothing like I wanted. The original colour is a dark blue and now it look the spitting image of Queensland maroon which wasn't what I wanted.

The next gamble I took came off well. Rather than spraying the clear from a can, I sprayed it into one of the jars and put it through the airbrush. It came out a treat and the parts came up a lovely deep cherry red with lots of sparkle and colour deflection. The only step I have left now is to take the tape off it all and very lightly rub it back with 2000 wet/dry and put a bit of car wax on the parts (it is car paint after all). Then for reassembly and then try to source a machine cut I'ze handle as there was no way I could ever paint the original.

I should have that done in a few days and I'll post up some pics of that.

Enjoy, Josh
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel001.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel003.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel005.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel006.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel007.jpg

Horse
07-06-2009, 01:58 PM
Interesting project. I look forward to the final shots

alphas
07-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Fantastic work Josh..It looks stunning mate;D
Please update when you have finished.When you do that final rubdown then polish it will really shine.I think you have chosen a great colour,will really see some great depth with the amount of coats you have applied.

Again,fantastic job8-)

eotbmg
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Great idea Josh,
My Certate to is lacking paint in that area, from spending long hours holding it, rubbing on a ring on my finger...... You may have to do mine as well!!!!!
Ben

flairj
08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
I had a bit of a set back last night while trying to very carefully peel off the tape on the detatched sideplate last night. I had put the tape too close to the side and the paint peeled a tiny bit from where the silver "reel four" plate screws in. Small, but defiantly noticeable.

So, I gave the area a bit of a sand back and re primed it and put the colour back on. Tomorrow morning I'll put the clear on again and hopefully it will be finished on Wednesday for a few photos.

Luckily you don't need that sideplate to do what is the hardest part for me, which is completely re assembling the reel from a bunch of little clip lock bags on the table. It went much easier than I thought, however it needs the pressure from the sideplate screwed on to work properly and I'll know then if I got it right ::)

Josh

try to fish
08-06-2009, 05:29 PM
hi,

in regards of the sideplate for certates,make sure you've got the shim right on the original spot or else there would be a crunchy feel.good luck and great work mate!!!.

Jungle Jim
09-06-2009, 10:37 AM
Looks awesome mate.

Also looks like the painting reel bug is spreading faster than swine flu. ;D

Well done mate.

JIM

flairj
09-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I finished putting it back together tonight and thought i would throw up a few pics.

Not the best pics but i'll try to get some in the sunlight tomorrow

Joshhttp://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel017.jpg

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i118/flairj/Reel026.jpg

MattChew
09-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Nice work Josh. My Luvias 2004 is in the post to you ... I'll have the same colour thanks!!!!

Cheers
Matt

Why-ting
10-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Thats come up sweet. Ive also got a few reels you can pimp for me. A nice camilion pearl like the Esmeraldas would be nice on my Gekabijin. Nice job and looks awesome, but i would not have the patiance to do it.

Whytey

Jungle Jim
11-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Hey mate looks great really one of a kind. Great job

On a different note those artery clamps are bloody nice any chance you could grab me a set. I have one and i'm petrified of losing them.

JIM

flairj
11-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah, those medical clamps are great. My father works in the medical industry and has heaps of them laying around. The bottom of my boat is littered with ten pairs of scissors and fifteen assorted pliers and clamps as hook removers.

I'll try and get some daylight photos up soon as it looks beautiful and as everyone says "the pictures don't do it justice"

I have the next Certate eyed up now and I'm thinking about a deep purple I saw a ford falcon the other day or a green similar to an Emeraldas.

I have looked up about colours that change in the light and fancy pearls, which would be the coolest thing ever, but those paints are so incredibly expensive. Mostly because you cant buy them in 100ml tins. If anybody know where you can get really trick paints in small amount for a not so insane amount please let me know.

Josh