PDA

View Full Version : lamont

mangomick
07-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Hit lamont yesterday . Arrived around 1.30 in the arvo for an overnighter. Picked up a few red throat and mixed reefies before trying a bit of new ground.By 6 pm we had 6 trout in the esky and some nice fresh squid which is about to get cajuned.
As soon as dark arrived the whole place shut down with the exception of a few mixed reefies and the odd red throat.
Northerly blew in and trying to get a quiet nap on the run out tide proved fruitless.
A lot of boats complaining of not much going on all at any of the reefs.
Tried a few pinnacles on the way home but very quiet there so back home by 7 this morning.
The trout were hammering pillies and the odd squid bait but the squidgy with S factor didnt even get a look in.
Cheers

jtpython
07-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Awesome stuff Mick you done okay hey. Conditions coming home yesterday were great . Noticed the wind stayed about 13/15 most of the night. The trout have been thick around the place, same heard some fish were caught but no great numbers.
Good squid i done ours when i got home yesterday and most every cut is swollen and sore from doing them. Might have to do the surgical gloves and tape up the hands trick when i do the next lot. Looking at doing overnighter tonight but weather looks sloppy will see. Might do a squid exploration trip
JT

barra_cuda81
07-06-2009, 12:11 PM
Some good trout there. Tried 12 mile yesterday and then over to the Nautilus...very unsuccessful!! We fished very early morning 2am on and not one legal fish plenty of fusiliers for live baits though, and pesky trigger fish. Is it best to anchor on 12mile and berley up hard or just drift. Like you said there is very little structure just rubbly gound. Awesome conditions to be on the water. Is it true that any westerly direction in the winds shuts the fish down??? Yet there were still plenty of good fish caught in the Hook-Up

mangomick
07-06-2009, 03:32 PM
JT
Do you end up with ink from ar$3 h@l3 to breakfast time when you get the tubes out or is it only me. It didnt seem to matter how I attacked them the end result was always the same.

B C 81 even though the trigger fish are a pain keep sending down baits. Sometimes they go off the bite and then the tuskies and grassies come on. Sometimes:-/

i prefer to drift first and when I get on to a few decent fish drop the anchor with a berley bomb attached somewhere down the anchor line. it might be only a cheap tine of cat food but it seems to work sometimes. The mate who got those nice grassies I posted along with that tuskie always anchors and never drifts.
i figure if your drifting and you mark where you are picking up fish you get to find more little features.
I would have thought you would have got fish off the nautiluss. Bloke at work was picking up pepper spot s there last week. Would have thought a few mackies and cobes would be about too.
Westerlies ??? depends who you talk to. Im pretty sure 2 years ago when the bloke who caught the biggest Red in the hook-up (I cant quite remember his name) it was blowing a cold howling westerly
Cheers
Mick

jtpython
07-06-2009, 03:58 PM
JT
Do you end up with ink from ar$3 h@l3 to breakfast time when you get the tubes out or is it only me. It didnt seem to matter how I attacked them the end result was always the same.

B C 81 even though the trigger fish are a pain keep sending down baits. Sometimes they go off the bite and then the tuskies and grassies come on. Sometimes:-/

i prefer to drift first and when I get on to a few decent fish drop the anchor with a berley bomb attached somewhere down the anchor line. it might be only a cheap tine of cat food but it seems to work sometimes. The mate who got those nice grassies I posted along with that tuskie always anchors and never drifts.
i figure if your drifting and you mark where you are picking up fish you get to find more little features.
I would have thought you would have got fish off the nautiluss. Bloke at work was picking up pepper spot s there last week. Would have thought a few mackies and cobes would be about too.
Westerlies ??? depends who you talk to. Im pretty sure 2 years ago when the bloke who caught the biggest Red in the hook-up (I cant quite remember his name) it was blowing a cold howling westerly
Cheers
Mick

HAHAHA Took a while but i've worked it out. Put a slight nick where the plastic is and slip behind it tearing it away and slowly pulling and pushing your fingers in behind it and bingo the ink sack should come up with most of the ts and everything else. Then the wings are cu either side and same thing run hand around pushing the skin away. Then get a wooden spoon put on the tip and push the inside out works well then few tiny scraps for the lungs and guts left and wash down ink free and white
Jt
hope that helps

mangomick
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
How do you get the ink off the tube once the bloody sac breaks. :-/ Not that it makes that much difference the bread crumbs hide it.
They were pretty good on the chew. I was going to save the heads and tentacles fopr bait but I read somewhere that the tentacles cut up small and deep fried were the best bits.
I'll try your tip on dunking them in fresh water to get them to ink out next time:'(:'(

jtpython
08-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Went out today for another 13 of them. Big fella's among them too ..Didn't leave till after ten thou
A scrubing brush mate helps if they get a bit of black on them. The other trick is to leave them on ice overnight helps stiffen them up . Missed a big trout on the spear today too not happy jan but thats life.
JT