PDA

View Full Version : Should have been in the comp

Bowser
07-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Late start on Saturday, leaving Manly around 9. Run across the bay was good but got a bit of a surprise at the bar. The mouth of the northern channel seems to have silted up after the wild weather we have had. Tried the 29's, water a dirty brown and the current was raging. Very unpleasant fishing compared to the usual, huge sinkers to try and get the bait down and presentation is very poor. Sounder was playing up which made it even more difficult, fortunately have plenty of marks to get a reasonable idea of where the reef is. Boats where moving all over the place, predominately from north to south. Picked one snapper of around 2 and bit kgs. Most boats moved on and we were left alone. The current was dropping out and able to get the lead down to a 9 ball. Much better feel. One solid hook up, dropped, another very solid hook up that took line from the 30lb stick. Eventually turned it and had it coming my way. Anticipation very high then buzzzzzzzz, line stripped at a great rate for 50 metres then gone, sharked? Fay hooked up on another big fish and bricked, looked like one of those days. Then James gets a solid hook up, plenty of power and finally colour, lovely snapper that pulled the scales down (at home after the trip) to a touch over 20lbs. Just a great fish. Then I get another hook up, nice fish but not a monster, just as I get colour a whaler of around 6 foot grabs him and here we go again. Must have been full though as he let go and landed a nice snap.

Not a lot of fish but when you have a 20 pounder in the esky you don't need many fish. Just shows that persistence pays and that currents drop in and out during the day.

3rd degree
07-06-2009, 09:54 AM
Nice fish! and how about those conditions in the background...

Cheers

Jim

Schuey
07-06-2009, 10:05 AM
A great snap there Bowser. I noticed the same thing outside on thursday with the current. At certain times it was ripping through and then would ease up a little and then back to blast again. Good work persisting in it and you got the chocolates. Looks like you had better than we did on thursday aswell.

Schuey

madmackrel
07-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Awesome fish awesome conditions
Cheers MM;D

skipalong
07-06-2009, 05:50 PM
awesome fish with excellent conditions look to be a great trip well done

justin

Captain Seaweed
07-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Great Fish Great Conditions