PDA

View Full Version : seafarer victory

sid_fishes
07-06-2009, 09:23 AM
guys, i,m chasing pro,s and con,s on the 6mtr seafarer victory. i know the v sea is a really good boat[ as everyone on the goldy seems to have 1 or had 1]. any info would be welcomed.thanks
cheers
ian

Chimo
07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Ian

Probably one of the better boats around. Good seaboat and if you want to overnight the bunks are a size that allows you to do it unlike the Vagabond I have which had to be ordered with 200mm added to the bunks by extending the bunks into the cabin. Now I have to save up to get my legs shortened!

The early ones, pre 96 I think, have the same 5.9 hull as the Vermont so have a look at Jabba's posts to see what they will do.

If you get one of the 6m ones I doubt you'll be disappointed either as that hull is further developed.

Cheers
Chimo

PS Only one motor, 150HP and up, but that could be a pro or a con depending on your point of view, if you want 2 motors and can tow 2 tonne plus go the Vagabond.

ozscott
07-06-2009, 10:45 AM
I have a 70s Vagabond matey and I love it...heavy build and forgiving.

Cheers

Grand_Marlin
07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
G'day Ian,

All pros here ... no cons.

Excellent ride, excellent stability, great size cockpit, quite a few creature comforts, build quality is brilliant.

I would have no hesitation in recommending the Victory.

Cheers

Pete

Jabba_
07-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Excellent Boat.. I have the Vermont, same hull as the Victory, just a different deck lay out... I can tell you they will get you home safely very ordinary conditions and do it relatively smoothly for a 6m boat...

We were cornered today by a storm, Seaway Tower advised us the storm was severe and wind was 45kn.. We were at the Fish traps near the 50's,,, not good.. The Vermont handled it superbly,,, Dead set I was shitting myself tho, it was the worst storm I have been in and I wasn't sure how the boat would go in those conditions.. As I know now, the Seafarer ate it up and got us home easily and safely without a hitch...

Vitamin Sea
07-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Top boat

up there with the Haines;D

One of my boats of choice, no hesitation, cannot go wrong.

Cheers

Bill

sid_fishes
07-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Jabba, mate i,m glad you you got home safely as it seems to have been 1 hell of a storm.is the vermont a 6 mtr hull?
glad you are home safe and thanks for the reply
cheers ian

boatboy50
07-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Ian,

As a former employee and then owner of a Seafarer 6.0 Victory, I can give the thumbs up to them as a great rig. The 6.0 is the equal if not better than any other 6.0m boat built in the 90's and current era.

Build quality is excellent, both below and above the floor, and materials used in pre Haines Victories were of the highest quality. Unsure of the newer build quality, but they appear above the floor to be the same.

FYI, I just sold my 98 model, new trailer, 150 Ficht in excellent condition, 330 hours and all new upholstery, and it achieved mid 30's. Heaps of interest at 40k, just didn't get a serious buyer above 35k.

If your seriously in the market, you will do well to buy now.

Regards

Darren

Jabba_
07-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Jabba, mate i,m glad you you got home safely as it seems to have been 1 hell of a storm.is the vermont a 6 mtr hull?
glad you are home safe and thanks for the reply
cheers ian

The Vermont is a 5.9m, the newer Victory from 1996 (IRC) is 6.0m.

The Victory will ride better into a head sea and sloppy conditions due to having more weight further foward on the bow.....

ozscott
08-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Daren - I dont know whether your example would apply universally - unfortunately rightly or wrongly when many many people see FICHT on the back of the best boats they look for the next one...that can be a killer.

Glad you sold her though...must have been hard to part with.

Certainly second hand boat prices have dropped although from what I have seen the gin palaces above and behond 30 feet seem to have been hardest hit.

Cheers

boatboy50
08-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Scott,

No worries. I am aware of the Ficht stigma, as most buyers were. Surprisingly, it didn't worry most. The Ficht stigma also says that any engine running today will more than likely last a long time to come.

It is a real life example only. He will find most 6.0m Victories are advertised for 45k +. Real life says they are simply not selling for those dollars currently.

You are correct in your gin palace obs though, I saw a 30ft Searay with twin diesels the other day for 32k. That would be hurting!

Regards

Darren

siegfried
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Top boat

up there with the Haines;D

One of my boats of choice, no hesitation, cannot go wrong.

Cheers

Bill
Now your just being silly;D Thats why most boats are named after shielas... its all about the ride brother

tenzing
08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Ian, I am naturally very , very biased.
The victory is a beautiful boat. Build quality is superb. and handling is the equal of any boat its size. I'd say that with a following sea there is probably not a better boat .
I have a 175 ficht and have done nearly 300 hrs without the slightest concern. I have complete faith in it and get it serviced by Alan Downes who says it is 100%
It is always nice to be able to add to or change the boat to suit yourself.
I added trim tabs (Highly recommend this- makes all the difference.) also put additional fuel tank. ( replaced 50 l water with fuel and added bladder under seat for water- now 225litres fuel + 50l water.)
we have slept 3 a few times but fairly cozy. I remove the centre cushion and put an esky in instead with cushioning to match bunk height,thus not having to shorten the legs.
My main criticisms of the boat as delivered is that the top is too short for a taller guy, But I intend to sort that out shortly too.I think the absence of a self draining deck is also a drawback offshore, and the non integrated bowsprit could have been better thought out in the design too.
My advice is to go drive a couple, I'm sure they will impress.
Brendan.
This photo shows the esky with the padding off , I'm sure you get the idea.

ozscott
08-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I wasnt having a go at FICHT but there was a lot of bad press, much of which was deserved and I know a lot of blokes that wont even consider them...they just keep looking til they find another boat of the same type without a FICHT, although for quite a few years thats pretty much all that the Seafarer's used from memory. I would be more open minded, but I was just making the point re the second hand costs. I also realise that if they are still around and firing then they tend to be sorted.

Cheers