PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Jack Or Red Bass?

-Beefa-
06-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi all,
went out off DI today and caught a couple of these, are they Jacks or Rd Bass?
regards Beefa

Lovey80
06-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I don't see a photo mate, try loading it again.

Luke G
06-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Red Bass mate.

disorderly
06-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Yep...Red Bass unfortunately...

This ones a reef jack...

hookinin
06-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Yep, have to agree Red Bass but good fight and pic anyway.
Gaven

reel scream
07-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Red Bass..................but .great for a chew at that size in my opinion. Prior to the 10 year ago regs a 3/4 kg one was ok. no bigger though IMO. Bastard of a fish if jacks are there.

My first Jack. diff to a Rbass hey..............

Rumrunner2
07-06-2009, 06:12 AM
Red Bass have that evil yellow eye. Tough fish!!

jayvee
07-06-2009, 07:53 AM
def red bass mate. red bass scales run almost perfectly in horizontal lines and they have a large divet infront of the eyes. still a nice fish mate and nice pic
cheers jayvee

-Beefa-
07-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Thanks Guys ,
I feared as much, we had a good trip anyway, caught a good feed, considering the GPS wasn't working, luckily had the hand held. here's a few more photo's of trip.
regards Beefa

mattooty
07-06-2009, 11:05 AM
When i first joined this site a few years ago a pretty active member, (it might've been foxxy or another, not sure) posted of a monster jack that was confused with a red bass and was subsequently released. I think they estimated it at 10kg and the replies were gobsmacking. 'YOU DID WHAT !??!?!'

tunaticer
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
The groove in front of the eyes says it is a red bass, without the groove it is a jack. easiest ans safest way to tell.

matt__hill
07-06-2009, 03:28 PM
are you going to eat them??
i've heard of people eating them asking the question that how are they different to say a reef jack or a big trout in regards to cigautera poisoning
top fish by the way they pull hard

samson
07-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Those red bass are a no-take species i'd be deleting those photos buddy good mixed bag of lollies otherwise, just be careful though you got yourself a big fine there if the wrong person looks.

Cheers samson

goggles
07-06-2009, 06:00 PM
Samson, is it a hit in the pocket or r they just on the no take list like the chinamen fish? Thanks Wayno

mjc85
07-06-2009, 06:16 PM
Red Bass "NO TAKE" as stated here,

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3042_ENA_HTML.htm

Would take down your pictures.

Mitch

samson
07-06-2009, 06:26 PM
It's a hit in the pocket mate but not because of they're scarcety its to protect us from ourselves like the chinaman fish and paddle tail so we don't get cigatared.
Bit harsh but i guess just revinue raising why things like toad fish aren't on the list i don't know i'd of thought they'd make the top, but i know guy's that have eaten plenty of bass before the law changes and haven't had any probs.

matt__hill
07-06-2009, 06:36 PM
thats what i had heard that fellas had eaten them and had no problems. i'm pretty sure they eat chinamen fish in w.a. too

-Beefa-
07-06-2009, 07:38 PM
unfortunately they are red bass and not mangrove jack, they were returned to the ocean. I can't see why I should take the photo's down as it may help someone else in the future to identify the fish correctly. Catch and release is a growing favourite of mine.
regards Beefa.

disorderly
07-06-2009, 07:51 PM
I can't see why I should take the photo's down as it may help someone else in the future to identify the fish correctly.
regards Beefa.

Beefa I think the advise regarding removing the photo's was given in good faith as you have actually incriminated yourself by not only killing No-take species but actually posting photo's of yourself with these fish on the internet...

Mistaken identity generally wont excuse you from a fine if caught...if in doubt release the fish...

And as mentioned I think they are legal to take and eat in WA...can someone clarify why this is so..?..None of the ciguatera organisms there ..?

Scott

nickstock
07-06-2009, 08:42 PM
And as mentioned I think they are legal to take and eat in WA...can someone clarify why this is so..?..None of the ciguatera organisms there ..?

Scott

Hey Scott,

They also eat them in NT where (for some reason unknown to me) they do not seem to be effected by the Toxins.

I think (dont quote me) that it is something to do with eating baitfish that feeds mainly on coral spawn on the Great Barrier reef. The other reefs in NT and WA dont seem to have the same effect?

Nick

groverwa
07-06-2009, 08:43 PM
PROTECTED SPECIES

Matt_Hill

This is from Fisheries WA and does not mention Red Bass

These species are totally protected and
may not be taken. (FRMR Schedule 2)

SPECIES SCIENTIFIC NAME
Cobbler Cnidoglanis macrocephalus
(protected in the Swan-
Canning rivers until 2017)

Coral Order Scleractinia

Great white shark Carcharodon carcharias

Grey nurse shark Carcharias taurus

Groper, western blue Achoerodus gouldii (protected
in the Rottnest Island Reserve)

Humphead Maori wrasse Cheilinus undulatus

Leafy seadragon Phycodurus eques

Potato cod Epinephelus tukula

Queensland groper Epinephelus lanceolatus

Sawfish – all species Family Pristidae

Speartooth shark Glyphis spp.

Whale shark Rhiniodon typus

and they do eat Chinaman in WA even though we did not when we lived in Exmouth - plenty of other fish to eat - good fun catching them though

A search regarding Red Bass seems to only show them being caught at the Rowley Shoals out from Broome

Mexikan
08-06-2009, 09:34 AM
I dont know if anyones noticed but in one of the latest local fishing mags they picture red bass as jacks when you obviously see that tell tale notch near the fishes eye.You have to ask yourself what happened to that fish???

jayvee
08-06-2009, 04:41 PM
BEEFA- i wouldnt have worried about the comments saying take the photo's down because you didnt actually say anywhere in your 1st or 2nd post that you'd "kept" the fish. you only said you had caught a couple while fishing.

cheers JAYVEE

vertico
08-06-2009, 06:42 PM
red bass for sure

leelee
09-06-2009, 12:07 PM
100% Red Bass as others have stated, the yellow eye is the dead give away.

Eventhoguh they are a NO TAKE fish you did not TAKE the fish so keep the pics up there for everyone to look at.

Nice work:D

Cheers

Lee

samson
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
smart move taking those pics down mate it could have come back to bite you.

Pretzil
09-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Like alot of other ppl have said, I can't see how it could possibly come back to bite him, its not like the picture is of him filleting it or taking a bite out of it

samson
09-06-2009, 05:28 PM
Pretzil not that it matters but the pictures in question have already been removed but hey next time i'll let the authorities do the job instead.

gunna
09-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Beefa is a very naughty boy and deserves to be spanked :LOL:

ssab1
10-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Pretzil not that it matters but the pictures in question have already been removed but hey next time i'll let the authorities do the job instead.
no take the picture or no take the fish or what ever ,Im sure fisheries has better things to do than prosecute people who take pics of no take species(as long as released unharmed) but in some cases Ive released reef fish only to watch them float away belly up, couldnt deflate as it could be seen as injuring the fish, so what do we do?
Cheers alex

GPB
10-06-2009, 04:49 PM
You are allowed to catch them and take photos as catching them is a blast, he never said he kept them ;D

samson
10-06-2009, 05:27 PM
If some of you guy's like killing no-take species as he clearly did by the original pictures with the fish dead in a group shot with their throats cut so be it i'd suppose some you guy's wouldn't care if it was a dugong either and as for targeting no-take fish for sport whether released or not both are illegal or though i know beefa got them as bycatch both red bass were clearly killed if you choose to defend him you must be mates with that ice knight fellow also.

-Beefa-
10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Samson,
I admire your passion mate, but as per the original post I was asking for some one to identify these fish as I believed at the time of capture that they were Mangrove Jack, I even checked with a local guy at the boat ramp when I got back who agreed, I wonder how many people are making this mistake and eating them as well, when I got home I showed a mate who debated the species so I posted the pics and also checked my Grants, turns out I was wrong. I think we can all move on now. thankyou all for your input guys.
Regards Beefa

samson
10-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Beefa i don't have that much of a problem with what you did it was a common mistake thus why the orriginal warning, i have more of a problem with the guys defending what they obviously know nothing about or couldn't take the time to read the thread before making a comment.

jeffo
11-06-2009, 06:15 AM
samson- go back to the first page and have a look at the new photo that has been put up...no evidence of dead fish. I am guessing by your comments that there were once photos of the fish in question dead as a door nail ( i didnt see these photos and until you mentioned other photos i was wondering what all the fuss was about). This is no longer the case and i dare say why so many people are defending the posting of photos. So in reality i spose everyone's comments are correct;D

FNQCairns
11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Who cares.... the fish wouldn't have known it was dead, mother nature it's self doesn't care, any damage is grossly unmeasurable......seriously strange stuff on the ground and in the real world.

cheers fnq

LBGaddict
12-07-2009, 01:33 AM
Who cares, they're only a no take species to protect the public from the ciguatera risk, not to protect the fish population, so big deal, turn them into crabs. Also, have a close look next time there are 'mangrove jack' fillets in the local fish shop, theyre usually red bass fillets, judging from colour.

Kid
12-07-2009, 07:05 AM
i caught 6 last year while fishing at night and kept them thinking they were jacks, as it turned out we noticed the next day that 3 were noticeably different and that's when we realised we had 3 bass as well as 3 jacks. They were all caught in the same spot at the same time.

Kid

nickstock
12-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Who cares, they're only a no take species to protect the public from the ciguatera risk, not to protect the fish population, so big deal, turn them into crabs. Also, have a close look next time there are 'mangrove jack' fillets in the local fish shop, theyre usually red bass fillets, judging from colour.

This is one of the stupidest things that I have ever read on AusFish. ::)

Nick

Stroadman
12-07-2009, 09:44 AM

Judging from colour hey???? hahahaha...............what a fool!!!!::)

LBGaddict
12-07-2009, 10:50 AM
They leave the skins on. Go to Raptis at comslie now and have a look. You can also tell my the size and number of scales. I assume you thought I was talking about skinned fillets. Take it from someone involved with fisheries, and the sceintific sector instead of weekend warriors.

Stroadman
12-07-2009, 12:09 PM
They leave the skins on. Go to Raptis at comslie now and have a look. You can also tell my the size and number of scales. I assume you thought I was talking about skinned fillets. Take it from someone involved with fisheries, and the sceintific sector instead of weekend warriors.

What a load of Rubbish!!

dfox
12-07-2009, 12:14 PM

Where are the fillets your refering too from, chances are there not from queensland
If you are involved with fisheries, then its simple to back track the fish using the LF05 and CD02 log books and prosecute the buyer and supplier ...

LBGaddict
12-07-2009, 12:51 PM
At comslie raptis fishmarket on thursday, we all know how dodgy some suppliers are with regard to identifying catches in log books, take the SBT fishery for example, thats just how the low lifes exceed their bycatch quotas. I know a guy who has been selling bludger trevally as kingfish too for example.

samson
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't know where you get some of your veiws LBG but i wouldn't be noting yourself as experienced by saying your involved with fisheries most guy's in that sector know far less than 90% of suppliers in regards to identifying fish cut and uncut and to say pro's are cheating quota regulay is a load of crock, shit if i miss count by one i'm stuffed and to say guy's taking SBT cheat quota is bullshit all pro's except those with commonwealth licences aren't even allowed one fish and those that can get policed to the point where they have to have fisheries observers on every trip in some areas, give yourself an uppercut bud and pull ya head in.

ffejsmada
12-07-2009, 07:41 PM
I'm glad you're an LBG addict LBG, you'd be dangerous in a boat!;D;D
Crazy statements mate, good luck to ya!

LBGaddict
13-07-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't know where you get some of your veiws LBG but i wouldn't be noting yourself as experienced by saying your involved with fisheries most guy's in that sector know far less than 90% of suppliers in regards to identifying fish cut and uncut and to say pro's are cheating quota regulay is a load of crock, shit if i miss count by one i'm stuffed and to say guy's taking SBT cheat quota is bullshit all pro's except those with commonwealth licences aren't even allowed one fish and those that can get policed to the point where they have to have fisheries observers on every trip in some areas, give yourself an uppercut bud and pull ya head in.

I get my views from studying data from credible sources, not here say or speculation. I've got nothing against pro fishing, most of the guys i fish wish are ex pros. I'm currently doing a case study on the misrepresentation of SBT in catch logs, based on CSIRO and AMFA data, the fact is there are pros, particularly offshore vessels which falsify information in regard to size estimates and catch quotas. Fin and trunk a Big Eye a Yellowfin and a SBT then try to tell the difference.

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-07-2009, 05:41 PM
From my years of mixed rec and commercial experience, I'd suggest LBG has some very valid points. From a flat footed stance, it may seem off track, but when ya stand on ya tippy toes, you'll see a lot more than meets the eye. Sometimes, contrary information is often the correct information.
Johnny Mitchell