PDA

View Full Version : Roonies on Saturday

maxeral
06-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi all

Well decided to go fishing seeing how the weather was ment to be perfect got to the harbour around 7 and was heading out at around 7.30 as soon as leaving the entrance there was extremly heavy fog and for many fishermen who use sight more so then there navigation equipment were waiting outside of the urangan boat harbour cause they couldn't go any where and were waiting for the fog to lift , this was a bit of a pain in the ass seeing how there was little visablity, after dodging the boats we headed to roonies encountering open patches out wide where the fog had lifted. Fishing conditions were perfect but there was only one problem the only fish that were biting were the WHIPTAIL >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Most of the moring was spent travelling trying to find a spot at roonies to aviod whip tails but they were every where , they seemed to be hanging with any other patch of fish so they took your bait before the bigger fish could even get a sniff ;)

However we managed to pick up a few bally bream and pinkies but that was it i thought for a wonderfull day the fish would be on the bitting but not.

Ill put some pics up tommrow

8-)

maxeral
06-06-2009, 08:03 PM
how did everyone else go today up there post replies :)

Jeremy
06-06-2009, 09:17 PM
hard luck mate, long way to go for whiptails.
Jeremy

maxeral
07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
yer it sure was but over the radio no one seemed to be getting much at all only a feed nuthing to much at all just a shame it wasn't good fishing because it was a beautiful day

Whiley_Whiting
08-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Hi

I headed up there early Saturday morning and used the GPS to get me out of the harbour and across to Fraser, the fog lifted once we got to around the six mile area but was still out to sea.

I targeted the Wathumba area first and caught several tuna, mackerel and more pinkies that I care to remember. There were also a number of squire present.

Moved up to Roonies later in the day to be greeted by the flotilla of boats, ended up catching sweetlip, snapper and a 15kg+ golden trevally. Had to leave just on dusk as the bait ran out...

Was a quiet day but the weather was amazing.

maxeral
10-06-2009, 04:23 PM
seems like you had a good day just wondering where abotus u picked up the pinkies ?

Whiley_Whiting
11-06-2009, 12:31 PM
majority of the pinkies were picked up around the Wathumba area.

I have never kept them, are they a good eating fish?

Spot82
11-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a typical trip to roonies if you don't anchor up right on the fish although I have hardly caught a whiptail there in the last two years, catch more 2ft long sharks and undersize reds and coral bream than anything when it comes to catching crap.

Pinkies are good eating and good bait, the bigger ones are as good if not better than whiting and a bigger fillet, give em a try next time :)

Anthony