PDA

View Full Version : Steering Grease...What Type?

Marlin_Mike
06-06-2009, 09:23 AM
I have to pull my steering arm out of the tilt tube to clean it up, as it has once again gunked up the grease and is frozen inside the tilt arm.

There must be a better grease to use. I currently use the blue boating grease form Castrol. If it isnt used for a few weeks, and it has rained, the grease gunks up, almost solidifies and freezes the arm so i have no steering.

Is there a better grease that stops this happening? I have heard that there is an oil some use in their tilt arm to lubricate the steering arm. Or am i using the wrong grease?

Any opinions welcome and appreciated.

Mike

murf
06-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I am still using Inox 3 years after getting the boat second hand to try and clean out the grease, the previous owner had used grease and clogged it up

I would never use grease as the oils wash out leaving the clays behind

cheers Murf

Roughasguts
06-06-2009, 09:45 AM
Clean the grease out with WD 40 and either spray inox or silicone spray on the cable or you could use Vaselene if you prefer something thicker.

Neither one of the products above go hard.

oldboot
06-06-2009, 09:58 AM
the general word is ...Don't use grease.....at lest on the rod....as previous posters have said one of the aerosol products with some body in it is the go.
Lanox seems popular... it leaves a decent film behind, but doesn't gum up like grease.

cheers

ozscott
06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Mate - I used the have the same problems - we all have I think. I was told by Teleflex when I installed the new cable and helm to thoroughly clean out the old tilt tube including a light hone and then to use a little bit of AUTO transmission fluid on the ram (extend it and coat it) and the tube...not much either. Then use a felt rather than rubber end cap ($2 each). I did that and it works like a beauty. You should still move the steering every same 3-4 weeks to keep it sweet but you wont get that massive build up of hardness that the grease causes.

Cheers

PS. I have tried mixing grease in the past with oil etc but auto trans is the go

Marlin_Mike
06-06-2009, 12:11 PM
would lanolin grease be Ok to use?

Mike

Roughasguts
06-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah that be fine.

dnej
06-06-2009, 06:49 PM
as said, power steer fluid is fantastic.
David

Marlin_Mike
06-06-2009, 07:11 PM
wht stops the steering fluid from leaking out of the tilt tube where the steering arm goes through?

fsh00
06-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Ditto, I only use a light oil on the s/s rod whilst the young bloke turns the wheel, it draws the oil into the tube, had no drama in 3 years and do it every month.

ozscott
06-06-2009, 08:43 PM
you dont need it to be sloshing around in the tube just coat it and then as above suck some in every now and again.

Cheers