PDA

View Full Version : Reef Ranger Reno

05-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I recently purchased a 5.5m CruiseCraft Reef Ranger. As luck would have it, it turns out that the stringers were rotten. To replace the stringers I have had to strip the boat back to the bare shell. While I was at it, I decided to remove the existing full width engine well, as it was not very space efficient.

I replaced all of the stringers and transom using 2 pieces of 19mm marine ply laminated together. I have probonded them into the boat. I then glassed them in using 3 layers of chop-strand mat with 1 layer of woven rovings in the middle. I plan to use the space between the stringers to house a 180L fuel tank in the middle and a kill tank/underfloor storage on either side. I am also considering options for underfloor floatation i.e. what methods; is it worth doing? etc

I plan to add a aluminium pod on the back, however I am concerned that this will affect the performance of the boat. I am also worried about the strength of the transom, given I intend to put a 150-175hp motor on. Any thoughts on how my changes to the engine well and/or strength of the new transom would be appreciated. I have attached some photos of the progress to date.

This is my first rebuild project, thus it is all very new to me. Most of what I know is soley based on what I could find on the internet. Any advice you have in regards to the above, plus any ideas you have in terms of what I need to consider before replacing the floor will be appreciated.

Apollo
06-06-2009, 06:38 AM

Big job, but looks like you are travelling OK. My comments are to use quality epoxy resins (west system) and seal the timber very well as you go (including joints, screw/bolt holes, etc).

Best of luck

catfishkid
06-06-2009, 08:28 AM
I will follow this thread with keen interest.They are a great boat and I love mine.
I have a pdf copy of an original sales brochure on these boats that states recomended hp up to 250:o.That would be interesting.If you send me youe email I will forward a copy.
I came across the boat pictured up at the fraser comp this year,it had a full width rear pod and 150hp yamaha so I see no reason why a properly built pod assy would be to detrimental to the boat.

Cheers Craig.

PS: the second orange boat is mine.

06-06-2009, 12:00 PM
That would be great mate - thanks! My email address is craigboughen@aapt.net.au

I would be interested in seeing the orginal brochure.

bigval73
06-06-2009, 07:42 PM
HA! so im not the only insane bloke out there!
I've just been through all your drama's in the last six months with my reef ranger resto (totally stripped of all timber); but the end is near as im up to the painting stage.
The new trailer is waiting me to paint and then its straight to the dealers for the suzi and steering fitout ;D
Just keep reading the offshore threads to keep you motivated, it did it for me !
cheers .

07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
hey catfish kid how does the reef ranger go with the 130 yamaha on the back.

big val have you got any pictures of youre boat id be very interested to see the layout you went with

nut44gq
30-08-2009, 08:14 PM
hows this thing coming along any pics?

bigval73
03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
hey catfish kid how does the reef ranger go with the 130 yamaha on the back.

big val have you got any pictures of youre boat id be very interested to see the layout you went with

thread revive,
allmost finished mine 610, my layout is pretty standard ,bought mine in oct last year replaced all timber which was stringers, transom, floor ,bulkhead and bunks

new 140 suzi ,dunbier tandem ,150 ltr tank and lowrance electronics
i basically replaced all timber /mechanical/ electrical and paint .
new windscreen just fitted yesterday (no pics yet).
took for a water test last week and am very happy.
needs waterline and colour cabin stripe .
i just hope the snapper will be attracted to it ;D
cheers bigval