PDA

View Full Version : using a areef anchor

fishmtb
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi,

So, what's the go with Reef anchors? I've got one, it came with the boat, i've basically no idea how to use it. Do you stop up current as normal and toss it over then haul it in when done hoping it's not to badly snagged, or do you generally need to pull it up under power when leaving?

Cheers
:)
Fishmtb

Chimo
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
F........b

Do a search ......... There are a number of threads on the subject .............

One comment tho; one never just toss's an anchor, be it reef or any other kind.....

Be interesting to see where this one runs..

Cheers
Chimo

cormorant
05-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Use like a normal anchor when anchoring around reef

Lower, set and that is it.

When retrieving often it will just be nonmal or you may have to apply enough force to bend one of the tines on the anchor.

Do a search about "tripping "the anchor and also correct lengths of chain

Most anchors are lost when you wrap chain under reef so lowering the anchor and making sure it hits the seabed first not chain first and laying out chain and rode and watching direction for later retrieval means you will leave a lot fewer on the bottom. We ust jot down the lay of teh anchor when we put it in so on retrieval we will come back to the same track and have few problems.

Where are you likely to be anchoring and in what depth, current and what size boat?

FNQCairns
05-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Hi,

So, what's the go with Reef anchors? I've got one, it came with the boat, i've basically no idea how to use it. Do you stop up current as normal and toss it over then haul it in when done hoping it's not to badly snagged, or do you generally need to pull it up under power when leaving?

Cheers
:)
Fishmtb

It depends on the bottom, some bottoms will in current and wind hold the boat but once enough rope has been been retrieved for the boat to be almost directly above, a good double handed heave can often dislodge it from the bottom, other bottoms might necessitate powering the pick away from the bottom with the motor, usually with a well bent tine or two.

Just make sure you match the pick with the size of your boat, you need it to bend and dislodge well before endangering the boat, 14 footers and below can be downright scary when trying to get a pick unstuck, no matter how experienced the driver.

Only ever tie to the front of the boat when powering the pick from the bottom

cheers fnq

reilly
05-06-2009, 07:32 PM
I work out of a 4.6 mt tinny I use 6 to 10mt of chain depending on how deep and current speed and a 15ml pick size , and have the chain attached to the base of the stem and use a cable tie to attach it to the top so when you pull it backwards with the boat it breaks the tie and comes out easy.
Most times I just give it a few sharp pulls and it releases ,
I have been using this set up for years and haven't had any scares or problems in varied sea and weather conditions, I fish mostly off shore around bommies alot at night, the anchor has never pulled, make sure you use a shock rubber tied to the leader rope off ya boat I use 10inch rubber pipe ring.
I also have a 10lt drum fitted with a s/s ring and which is attached by a deshackle and use this to float up the anchor when there a bigger swell or deep water that way I motor away from the bommie the cable tie is released and I keep motoring until the float gets to the chain its easy and safe to bring in the anchor with minimal physical effort

And NEVER pull the anchor out under power with the rope fixed to the back of the boat.

ozscott
05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Mate - can I suggest that before you toss the Reef Anchor over the side you first remove the empty the oil (if there is any left) in the leg so that the Mercury does not pollute the ocean...

Cheers