PDA

View Full Version : caloundra 12mile

stinky-stabi
05-06-2009, 02:36 PM
went out was a pearla of a night come home with 9 good fish an let this big whoo a go....this fish was such a drama that lasted over two hours trying to save him from just floating on top:-/ DSC00118 email.jpg (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=47243&stc=1&d=1244176015)

Dantren
05-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Moses Perch..................Yummmmmmmyyyyyyy

Good on you for making the effort to save the big fella.

Dan.

geeb
05-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Nice catch - I know what you mean about some of the fish when releasing them - particularly those that have been extracted from down deep. Does anyone know if there is a tool/diagram/fold out picture book for puncturing the air bladder and any research done on survival rates. The tool may seem silly to some but it could possibly give a more accurate and less intrusive way than popping with a knife/scewer etc. Also some fish require medical attention in the side/some through the mouth etc.

It is sad to catch/release/kill by accident......just a thought - please do not harrass me for ignorance if there is some well known solution to this dilema.........Geeb

roach8
05-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Hey - check out this site for the information you are after;D

http://www.recfishwest.org.au/ReleaseWeightDVD.htm

Schuey
05-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Good work Stinky in saving the big fella. 2 hours is a long stint hanging over the side of the boat too. It's all worth it, those cod are very important to the reef systems and you brought back a nice feed too.

Schuey

finding_time
05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Stinky

I've now released alot of these very successfully , how i do it is use the reef pick. I put one of the picks through it's mouth then let the anchor drop letting out about 10-15m of rope and chain! As the pressure at 10m down is twice the atmospheric pressure it's enough to compress there swim bladder by half and then they swim away! once you stop dropping the pick they just swim off!

ian

stinky-stabi
05-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Stinky

I've now released alot of these very successfully , how i do it is use the reef pick. I put one of the picks through it's mouth then let the anchor drop letting out about 10-15m of rope and chain! As the pressure at 10m down is twice the atmospheric pressure it's enough to compress there swim bladder by half and then they swim away! once you stop dropping the pick they just swim off!

ian

thanx ian for that info ,i also spoke to smithy on his methods as well hope the next one i get which might be tonight as im packed any ready an heading to the barwon banks in bout 15mins .lololol
see you's out there..lolol
smithy said to go to the fourth top fin an straight down to the side pectral with a tube (like a hollow ariel piece an punture)hope i quoted you right smithy..

finding_time
05-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Yep that works to , but how does the fish go 2 weeks later? The anchor or a big weight with a wire hook ( no barb) works real well!

Wont be at the banks tonight as we were out on wednesday night till thursday night!! Fished real wide for a great result, i'll post a report went the pics come through!

Ian