PDA

View Full Version : abt tournaments-boat size

Pretzil
04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
hello, i have searched through the archive and found nothing and i have also tryed finding the info on the abt sites, however i did so unsuccesfully, does anyone know if there is a minimum size boat for fishing an abt tournament
(eg over 4 meteres) if anyone has any information on this it would be much appreciated, thankyou
troy

Peter4
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
G'day Troy,

Not sure about bass or bream but for barra the boat requirement is minimum length of 3.7m and minimum 20HP.....

You can find it in a copy ot the Tournament rules on the ABT website....

Pete

Tailortaker
04-06-2009, 04:29 PM
As found on the website wich has all the ABT info http://www.bream.com.au/abt/2009/breamrules09.pdf

BREAM Events
• BREAM Events are contested by a field of equal numbers of boat-driving anglers (Pros)
and co-angling passengers. Each competition day, non-boaters are randomly paired with
boaters.
• Boaters will fish for cash prizes, while nonboaters will fish for sponsor prizes. Both are
eligible for the Big Bream cheque.
• BREAM boats must be 3.7m in length or greater. Horsepower and beam must be
sufficient to plane the craft with two anglers and full livewell/s. 20hp is considered the
minimum to achieve this. All engines must be fitted with a kill switch and safety lanyard.
• All outboards must not exceed the maximum horsepower rating stipulated on the boat's
compliance plate.
• Boat drivers must wear their engine’s safety lanyard strap that connects to the kill
switch at all times while the engine is running. Additionally, all competitors are required
to wear personal flotation devices while their boat is planing.
Click here to get your free novaPDF Lite registration key
• All boats must have a minimum 60 litres of live well with an aerator or recirculating
pump installed and functioning. Live wells must be insulated if above deck, and no Nally
bins, garbage bins or fish tubs will be accepted.
• Non-boaters must supply their own personal flotation device (PFD) for use in
competitions.
• All boaters must ensure an ABT official has received a copy of their current boat
insurance policy before competing. This can be faxed to ABT at any time on (07)3387

Cheers TT

Pretzil
04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
thanks fellas thats a huge relief, i just bought a 4.25 shadow mirage, later thought to myself, i hope it makes the size requirements for an abt event, i would of kicked myself if it had to be atleast 4.3 or something like that, glad to know im in the clear now, thanks again guys for the help, good luck fishing over the long weekend
cheers troy

sandbankmagnet
04-06-2009, 07:23 PM
why would there be a minimum boat size? I have a 3.7 with a 15. Not that I would enter as I'm a baito but why would I not be allowed? They're not scared are they?

Tailortaker
04-06-2009, 07:48 PM
It used to be 4m and 30hp (i think) but they down sized it to make it open to more competitors.

matt fraser
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Sandbankmagnet,

Yep, shaking in their boots I'd say!

The reason they have a minimum size, is to make it fair for the non-boaters that enter. In the early days of ABT when everyone was still getting used to livewells and the ABT format, some boats were unable to get on the plane when they had two onboard and a full livewell. Especially if they were big guys in a little tinny.

As a non-boater you wouldn't like to pay your entry fee and draw a boat that couldn't plane.

There are also guidelines/rules for livewell size and insulation, to get rid of the garbage bin or nally bin livewells of the early days, that weren't great for the fish, particularly on hot days, or if the bin split.

Every comp has its rules, ABTs have had 10 years with countless events in which to refine its rules and formats. There are very few disputes, and best of all very little chance of cheating.

Cheers,

Matt

sandbankmagnet
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks Matt. Fair enough.

Though, if I was given a free ride. I would treat it as that.

I guess I'll just stick to my anominity. I'm not much for weeing contests. No offence. I have good friends that compete and love the environment. Not for me.

Good luck.

matt fraser
05-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Cheers SBM,

The comps aren't for everyone, they can be a lot of fun, and other times they can be a lot of hard work for little return.

I'll keep fishing them, but also love lots of other types of fishing for a whole heap of reasons.

Matt